Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Seat Heating Not Working

AnubisZed

Seat Heating Not Working

Post by AnubisZed » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:50 pm

Good afternoon.
I wonder if anyone can help me / point me in the right direction?
Basically my drivers seat heating isn't working, the passenger is fine, the fuses seem fine, and the switch illuminates.

I went to www.lubiebmw.pl for the wiring diagram but no matter what page I go to I get the message starting ... "XML Parsing Error..." (yes I've updated Java, which was a right pain to sort out!) so I've got no wiring diagram to start with so didn't really want to go poking around blind. So has anyone got a link that may be able to help me?

Much appreciated, in advance.

Dave
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

na51hog

Seat Heating Not Working

Post by na51hog » Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:57 pm

Hi,

If these are of any use to you, then I am content.
2011 Z4 E89 Seat Wiring.jpg
2011 Z4 E89 Seat Wiring.jpg (100.66 KiB) Viewed 638 times
Best regards

Neil

The seat heating system heats the seat cushion area and backrest. The electronics for controlling the selected heating temperature (3 stages) and fault monitoring are integrated in the switch centre of the centre console.

Function

Seat heating can be switched on in three heating stages as from terminal 15 by pressing the button. Three LEDs built into the switch centre light to indicate operation. "Terminal 15 active" is signalled to the centre console switch centre via the K-bus.

Initially, heating stage 1 is activated when the seat heating is switched on (button pressed once). The seat surface is heated up to approx. 44 °C. All three LEDs light to indicate operation.

By pressing the button once more, the topmost LED goes out and heating stage 2 is activated. The seat is now only heated up to 39 °C.
The seat heating system is switched to heating stage 3 by pressing the button once again. The bottom-most LED lights. The seat is heated up to 35 °C.

The seat heating is switched off by pressing the button once again or switching off the ignition. The seat heating can also be switched off in any heating stage by pressing the push button for longer than 1 second.

The seats are heated by means of carbon fibre heating mats in the main section and steel wires (steel filaments) in the bolster. A carbon fibre heating mat is installed in both the seat cushion section as well as in the backrest. The centre sections of the seat and backrest as well as the bolsters of the seat and backrest are always heated. Heating filaments or carbon fibre mats are additionally integrated in the thigh support on sports seats. The seat and backrest bolsters are not heated on the series E39 sports seat with fabric cover.

The temperature is measured by a temperature sensor in the seat upholstery and passed on to switch centre.

Monitoring functions

Battery voltage

The electronic seat heating control switches off the power supply to the heating mats if the battery voltage in the vehicle is less than 11.4 V ±0.3 V. The function LEDs however remain on. Power supply to the heating mats is restored when the battery voltage is greater than 12.2 V ±0.3 V for at least 5 seconds.

PC-Board temperature

Due to the fact that the power input of the seat heating system is very high (120 W), the temperature of the pc-board in the switch centre is monitored by temperature sensors. Initially, the heating power is reduced as the temperature increases to over 85 °C. The heating is switched off if the pc-board temperature exceeds 95 °C. The function LEDs however remain on. The seat heating cuts in automatically again when the pc-board temperature drops below 85 °C.

Fault monitoring

The electronic seat heating control system monitors the temperature sensor and heating mats for faults. Detected faults are stored in the fault code memory of the centre console switch centre.

The following faults can be recognized:

Short-circuit or line break

Short-circuit or line break of temperature sensors

Break in heating mats

If a break or short occurs at the temperature sensor, the seat heating is switched off in order to prevent overheating. The function LEDs are switched off.
Current measurement, seat heating

The current is measured in order to be able to provide a basic statement with regard to a defect in the seat heating system.

Measurement preparation

On vehicles equipped with a switching centre in the centre console, the current is measured directly at the switching centre.

Switch off seat heating

Remove centre console switching centre (A169)

Measurement is carried out with a 50 A clip-on ammeter

Unwind insulating tape from wiring harness under seat and attach clip-on ammeter to the wire to be measured.

Left seat heating: Measurement on HZFA wire (white/yellow, pin 1)

Right seat heating: Measurement on HZBF wire (white/green, pin 13)

Start engine in order to ensure a system voltage of approx. 13.8 V

System voltage

If the system voltage drops below 11.4 V, the LEDs remain lit but the seat heating is switched off. The seat heating is re-activated as soon as a voltage of at least 12.2 V is permanently applied.

Measurement at DIS tester

Select "measurement system"
Measurement function: Current 50 A
Measurement connection: Clip-on ammeter
Type of measurement: Direct current =
Measuring range: +/- 50 A
Check system voltage with DIS tester
Switch on seat heater on the side to be measured

Measurement evaluation

Generally applicable for all heating stages:

Each heating stage has a certain setpoint temperature. The control unit attempts to reach this temperature as fast as possible. The temperature is the kept constant by means of clocking (= pulsating direct current).
Generally, the current is approx. 10 A during the heating-up phase (at a system voltage of 13.8 V)

The heating output is reduced on approaching the setpoint temperature. The clocking function can now be distinctly recognized, i.e. the current pulsates between 0 and approx. 10 A.

On finally reaching the setpoint temperature, the interval of the 0 A range is extended even longer.

If the current temperature is higher than the setpoint temperature, e.g. when, after a longer period of operation, the heating is switched back from stage 1 (3 LEDs) to stage 3 (1 LED), no current is applied until the temperature has again dropped to the corresponding setpoint temperature.

Heating-up seat

The duration of the heating-up phase is dependent on the temperature measured at the temperature sensor! The setpoint temperature is reached more quickly at high ambient temperatures (e.g. in summer) or if the seat is preheated. In this case, the clocking cuts in correspondingly earlier.

Measured power

The measured power depends on many different factors. Both the level of the system voltage as well as the type of seat installed and operation of other loads (seat heating on other side, steering wheel heating) play a significant role. The specified value of 10 A is therefore only a reference value.

Setpoint temperatures

The following setpoint temperatures are reached in the three-stage seat heating system:

Stage 1 operation (3 LEDs lit):
The seat is heated to a setpoint temperature of 35 °C

Stage 2 operation (2 LEDs lit):
The seat is heated to a setpoint temperature of 39 °C

Stage 3 operation (1 LED lit):
The seat is heated to a setpoint temperature of 44 °C

Measurement evaluation

A current of approx. 10 A is applied:
The seat heating is OK

A current of approx. 5 A is applied:
Defect in heating mat of seat cushion or seat backrest

No current is applied:
Defect in heating mat of seat cushion and seat backrest

Fault monitoring

The seat heating electronics monitors the temperature sensor and the heating elements for faults.

If a break or short occurs at the temperature sensor, the seat heating is switched off in order to prevent overheating.

Fault indicator

If a fault is recognized, the function LED installed in the switch flashes for 12 seconds when the fault occurs, or, if the fault is already present, when the seat heating is switched on.

Flash code

A flash code shows what faults the electronic circuitry has currently detected.

Flash code output is started by following procedure:

Switch off ignition
Press and hold the button for seat heating
Switch on ignition (terminal 15) with button depressed
Release the button and press it again briefly

The following faults can be indicated:

Flashing = Defect

Once
Switch faulty (potentiometer or electronics) or switch overheating due to a short-circuit

Twice
Temperature sensor has break or short

3 times
All 4 heating elements broken or have a short (probably break or short in wiring harness)
When the fun stops, you know what to do...

na51hog

Seat Heating Not Working

Post by na51hog » Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:40 pm

So, a Newbie here and hadn't set the date format in my profile, so the date of the original post wasn't showing.

Just 5 years too late!

:tumbleweed:

Busterboo

Seat Heating Not Working

Post by Busterboo » Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:11 pm

na51hog wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:40 pm So, a Newbie here and hadn't set the date format in my profile, so the date of the original post wasn't showing.
Just 5 years too late!
But what a wonderful reply!

A candidate to be a sticky, surely?
Vidi, vici, veni

na51hog

Seat Heating Not Working

Post by na51hog » Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:23 pm

Your comment couldn't make me feel more welcome!

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Seat Heating Not Working

Post by Pondrew » Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:44 pm

na51hog wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:40 pm So, a Newbie here and hadn't set the date format in my profile, so the date of the original post wasn't showing.

Just 5 years too late!

I have dates and I didn't notice :oops:
As said above; superb reply. Maybe go into a little more detail next time, though. :poke: :lol:
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

mcbutler

Seat Heating Not Working

Post by mcbutler » Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:04 pm

Pondrew wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:44 pm

Just 5 years too late!

I have dates and I didn't notice :oops:
As said above; superb reply. Maybe go into a little more detail next time, though. :poke: :lol:
I would check the fuse first - just saying lol
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

AnubisZed

Seat Heating Not Working

Post by AnubisZed » Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:39 am

Just 5 years too late!

:rofl:
As said above a great reply/post, thank you very much :thumbsup:
I did sort the issue, it turned out to be a bent over pin within the seat plug coupler. Once straightened out it all worked perfectly. Full electric seats were later retrofitted, but that's another story.
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q