Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Is this a common problem?

Busterboo

Post by Busterboo » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:07 am

Had a 'BMW Health Check' today. Was then texted a short video of and commentary about my 35iS by the technician. And given a 50+ point summary.

All clear, except an advisory: "Slight oil leak around gearbox oil sump".

How common is this, please?
Vidi, vici, veni

George7

Post by George7 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:43 pm

Mine seems to have a bit of surplus in the area of the crossmember as well as the box itself-I'ii await a response from someone who's fixed it.
George
X5 30i
530 GT
420 M Sport Plus Grand Coupe-hardon karmon,19" alloys, pro nav, sun roof
Z4 2.5 Roadster, cruise, xenons, sports suspension, red leather, heated seats, heated folding mirrors, aux fitted, 107s, roof motor in boot.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:53 am

Busterboo wrote:Had a 'BMW Health Check' today. Was then texted a short video of and commentary about my 35iS by the technician. And given a 50+ point summary.

Come on, just replace the whole engine as everyone knows a sump leak can cause your car to spin off the road & kill all the occupants ( a very serious safety issue)
Don't even think of a repair, it's far too dangerous-just ask your wife!
You know it makes sense :wink:
Rob
Last edited by Smartbear on Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Busterboo

Post by Busterboo » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:08 am

Touché. :D
Vidi, vici, veni

R.E92

Post by R.E92 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:00 pm

Funnily enough my local independent said the same thing when it went in for a service last week. "Oil around gearbox sump area"

When I'm next at a main dealer, probably MOT time I'll ask them to give it a second look.

I expect it's probably from the last oil change the dealership did. The guy pouring the oil seemed to have parkinsons as they got oil everywhere!

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:05 pm

Smartbear wrote:
Busterboo wrote:Had a 'BMW Health Check' today. Was then texted a short video of and commentary about my 35iS by the technician. And given a 50+ point summary.

Come on, just replace the whole engine as everyone knows a sump leak can cause your car to spin off the road & kill all the occupants ( a very serious safe issue)
Don't even think of a repair, it's far too dangerous-just ask your wife!
You know it makes sense :wink:
Rob
Beat me to it!

Mike

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:08 pm

A number of owners have reported their DCT has slight leaks. Not had the weather to check mine nor will I really be bothered until I see anything on the drive or it's picked up during service. Worried enough over cars to last a lifetime.

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:23 pm

Actually, thinking about it - I wonder if tyre pressures being too high could cause this? :D

Mike

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:24 pm

Ducklakeview wrote:

Actually, thinking about it - I wonder if tyre pressures being too high could cause this? :D

Mike
I think it's an obvious safety issue :wink: :wink:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Busterboo

Post by Busterboo » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:36 pm

Ducklakeview wrote: Actually, thinking about it - I wonder if tyre pressures being too high could cause this? :D
Mike
Nah, I've only just put my tyres up to BMW's recommended pressures - 2.6 bar front & 3.1 bar rear.

For the 20,000 miles from new before I bought the car, the wheels were run on 'Comfort Pressures'. That's what damaged the gearbox sump gasket.

It's a well-known fact. :wink:
Vidi, vici, veni

Busterboo

Post by Busterboo » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:08 am

Hurst's, the Leicester BMW indy, said today that the cure is a new DCT gearbox sump plate. The part's £250. Plus oil & labour, £450 + VAT. Sytner's want double that and then a bit. Plus VAT.

(Sadly, Leicester City Council - those well-known city destroyers - are 're-developing' - i.e. handing over to Big Business - the area where Hurst's garage is, so he's closing permanently in June.)
Vidi, vici, veni

DMC63

Post by DMC63 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:33 am

Busterboo wrote:Hurst's, the Leicester BMW indy, said today that the cure is a new DCT gearbox sump plate. The part's £250. Plus oil & labour, £450 + VAT. Sytner's want double that and then a bit. Plus VAT.

(Sadly, Leicester City Council - those well-known city destroyers - are 're-developing' - i.e. handing over to Big Business - the area where Hurst's garage is, so he's closing permanently in June.)
Mabybe the garage that'll soon seize to be has put a 'survival plan' into operation for the upcoming leaner times... :tumbleweed:
BMW Z4 2003 2.5i and lots of bits and pieces - 2016 - 2020 Sold

Busterboo

Post by Busterboo » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:29 am

DMC63 wrote:
Busterboo wrote:Hurst's, the Leicester BMW indy, said today that the cure is a new DCT gearbox sump plate. The part's £250. Plus oil & labour, £450 + VAT. Sytner's want double that and then a bit. Plus VAT.

Mabybe the garage that'll soon seize [sic] to be has put a 'survival plan' into operation for the upcoming leaner times... :tumbleweed:
That's not what Hurst himself told me yesterday. :?
Vidi, vici, veni