Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Removing headlights and opening them up

R.E92

Post by R.E92 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:12 pm

I've managed to get a little bit of gunk on the inside of the headlight casing. The rear cover looks to have worked its way free somehow and some salty water managed to get inside by the looks of it. It's only a few small spots but it irritates me!

I've tried to get into the headlight from the rear access holes and thread something through to remove it but the angel eyes get in the way.
I think I'll probably have to take the headlight out and clean the inside of the unit.

Firstly, how do you remove the headlights on the E89? Does it require bumper removal? I can't see any DIYs for the E89 itself.

Secondly, does anyone know if the E89 headlights can be opened up or are the plastic lenses glued to the back of the headlight like on the E9x cars?

E89_Gaz

Post by E89_Gaz » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:46 pm

Definitely glued. I did glance at the Dremel briefly, but wasn't brave enough to try and open it up. I did think about maybe pouring some IPA (not Brewdog) into the headlight, sloshing it around and emptying it out, but was unsure about potential damage, but as I use it on lenses etc, it shouldn't be too aggressive?

Can't remember whether you have to undo one side of the bumper but leave it attached on the other side? I definitely didn't remove the whole bumper though.

R.E92

Post by R.E92 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:18 am

E89_Gaz wrote:Definitely glued. I did glance at the Dremel briefly, but wasn't brave enough to try and open it up. I did think about maybe pouring some IPA (not Brewdog) into the headlight, sloshing it around and emptying it out, but was unsure about potential damage, but as I use it on lenses etc, it shouldn't be too aggressive?

Can't remember whether you have to undo one side of the bumper but leave it attached on the other side? I definitely didn't remove the whole bumper though.
I think you may be onto something with the use of fluid. I'll look at getting them removed and see what I can do when they are on a bench.