Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Centre Armrest help

Newbmw

Centre Armrest help

Post by Newbmw » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:09 pm

We'll today I was cleaning inside of car I pulled up the middle arm rest to clean all the spilt sugar out of cup holders I was leaning on the rear of armrest and heard a crack oh no I can see the problem I caused the armrest still opens and closes but not as smooth as usual due to I can see a shinny pin missing on the side which connects each side can I take this rear section apart to see if pin has fallen down or any advice how to strip it to investigate be grateful below I'm pointing to wear the pin is missing compaired to other side

Newbmw

Centre Armrest help

Post by Newbmw » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:15 am

Bump

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Centre Armrest help

Post by Smartbear » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:06 am

How annoying :o I'd wave around one of those telescopic magnet things down the sides of the seats etc (after I'd proved the pin was magnetic)
Could you insert a pin of the same diameter (like a roll pin?) it could get you out of trouble.
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Centre Armrest help

Post by Maniac » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:18 am

From the pic it looks like you've not only lost the pin but have snapped the plastic that would hold it?

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Centre Armrest help

Post by Nictrix » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:26 pm

We have a similar problem with ours but it has never been leaned on and the pin that looks missing in yours is still present in ours but one side seems to sag as if there is something missing.
The only thing I can think of on ours is one of the small cogs that run in the larger cog seems missing from one side.
Is there supposed to be a small cog on either side?
RealOem doesn't show any of this very well and not sure if individual parts can be bought.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

BMWZ4sailor

Centre Armrest help

Post by BMWZ4sailor » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:57 pm

I'm new to the z4 forum. I have a 2011 z4 with a similar problem. There are two pins that hold the console lid onto the console. I plan to reinstall the pins, after I replace one of the small gears that clips into my console lid. One of the small gears is broken resulting in rough opening and closing of the lid. The BMW dealer says they do not sell the small gears. Does anyone know where I can find one? Help!

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Centre Armrest help

Post by Nictrix » Sat May 27, 2017 2:19 pm

I finally found time to sort this out on our car.
Cant believe I left it for over a year before tackling it.
To fix this the whole centre console has to come out. It is quite easy to do but just time consuming. There is only 2 nuts, 2 torx screws and an allen bolt holding the centre console in place after the trim at the rear and centre console trim is removed. There is however quite a lot of wiring that needs disconnecting and clips removed from the console before removing.
The only reason the whole console needs to come out is because the trim that covers where the pins are is screwed on from underneath.
Once its out and the plastic housing is undone that covers the pins I found this
[IMG]http://i378.photobucket.com/albums/oo22 ... hxmwxu.jpg[/IMG]
One pin was out completely and the other was making its way out.
I searched the whole of the car and although there seems to be a space on the right side of the hinge for a small gear there was none to be found so I can only imagine that it only needs one on one side to operate.
I pushed the pins back into place and job done. Pic of how it should look.
[IMG]http://i378.photobucket.com/albums/oo22 ... ff69ot.jpg[/IMG]
The pics are a bit blurry but there is a knurled part on the pin which should be pressed into the plastic to secure it. Maybe this wasnt right from the factory or just isnt a tight fit and worked its way out.

Busterboo

Centre Armrest help

Post by Busterboo » Sat May 27, 2017 10:05 pm

And someone designed this? :headbang:
Vidi, vici, veni

bob20124

Centre Armrest help

Post by bob20124 » Sun May 28, 2017 5:49 am

Could you PM or post details on how to remove the console (Got the 2 nuts under rear trim piece). I'm in the same boat (both pins backed out).

Thanks
2011 35i BMS low and high side OCC, BMW 550i Clutch, CDV delete, Custom tune by BQ Tuning, ER Charge Pipe w/Tial BOV, ER Comp. FMIC, K&N drop in, 40W LED Halo, LCI side markers, M-Factory LSD, Stubby, Windrestrictor. Dyno'd 405WHP, 458Lb/FT

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Centre Armrest help

Post by Nictrix » Sun May 28, 2017 10:04 am

bob20124 wrote: Sun May 28, 2017 5:49 am Could you PM or post details on how to remove the console (Got the 2 nuts under rear trim piece). I'm in the same boat (both pins backed out).

Thanks
At the front of the console is the 2 torx screws but the console trim needs to be removed first to see them.
Then right in the middle under the trim is a large allen bolt.
To remove the centre trim prise off the gear stick surround and then prise up the trim, there are no bolts or screws holding this on.
It took me longer to unclip all the wiring than to remove the centre console and fix it.
Take a few pics of the route the wiring takes to aid putting it back together.

bob20124

Centre Armrest help

Post by bob20124 » Sun May 28, 2017 8:39 pm

Thank you for the information and suggestions. My next project.....
2011 35i BMS low and high side OCC, BMW 550i Clutch, CDV delete, Custom tune by BQ Tuning, ER Charge Pipe w/Tial BOV, ER Comp. FMIC, K&N drop in, 40W LED Halo, LCI side markers, M-Factory LSD, Stubby, Windrestrictor. Dyno'd 405WHP, 458Lb/FT

Timblr

Centre Armrest help

Post by Timblr » Tue May 22, 2018 10:08 am

Hi guys,

I seem to be having the same problem with my armrest.

I can see that one pin has fallen out and the other is completely missing along with cog.
Does anyone know the part number for the pins and cog?

Then I just need to figure out how to get the console off to fit it :?

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Centre Armrest help

Post by Nictrix » Tue May 22, 2018 12:36 pm

Timblr wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 10:08 am Hi guys,

I seem to be having the same problem with my armrest.

I can see that one pin has fallen out and the other is completely missing along with cog.
Does anyone know the part number for the pins and cog?

Then I just need to figure out how to get the console off to fit it :?
I wouldn't think you would need to buy any parts to fix this.
The pins should still be there somewhere and off the top of my head I think there is only one cog at one side

A1GSS

Centre Armrest help

Post by A1GSS » Wed May 23, 2018 12:43 pm

Mine is broken in exactly the same way. And I've lost the bits. :( so looks like a dealer repair unless a mobile fixer upper on here fancies sorting it for me...!
Graham.

2011 Z4 23i sDrive Space Grey / Coral Red

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Centre Armrest help

Post by Nictrix » Wed May 23, 2018 12:55 pm

A1GSS wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 12:43 pm Mine is broken in exactly the same way. And I've lost the bits. :( so looks like a dealer repair unless a mobile fixer upper on here fancies sorting it for me...!
You can only lose them if you have thrown them away.
If they have worked their way loose they will still be in there somewhere.
I have a feeling that these bits will not be available separately.