Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Intermittent Knock

35i-Nut

Intermittent Knock

Post by 35i-Nut » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:40 pm

Sooo Ive developed a random intermitent knock / cluck from ' i think the front end left side '

Ive heard the knock pulling off my drive and then driving 10 meters on a flat piece of road , I have heard it when turning right at a junction

I noticed the clunk as I went over a mild speedbump today

Frustrated I cannot locate it , anyone else been in a similar boat ?

Advice appreciated
Last edited by 35i-Nut on Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Intermittent Knock

Post by mr wilks » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:51 pm

Are all the strut tower bolts tightly secured ? the ones where you would attach a strutbrace under bonnet ?
Had a similar noise on a Z though not 89 & that was the fault .
Easy to check & rule out whatever
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

35i-Nut

Intermittent Knock

Post by 35i-Nut » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:23 pm

not checked the strut braces as they are a funny socket , checked the struts / shock fixings and they were ok

Will get a socket and check the braces

All underbody braces Ive also checked , frustrating finding these clunk /knocks :x

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Intermittent Knock

Post by john-e89 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:09 am

Engine mount worked loose? Not likely I know but worth a check perhaps.
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

Wrs

Intermittent Knock

Post by Wrs » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:25 am

I had something very similar last year to what you described.. It happened twice, a very loud random bang / clunk which literally made me jump whilst driving. Personally I thought the noise I had came from the roof though. :?

I booked it into BMW and they said even though they replicated the noise on a test drive they didn't know what it was / where it came from. :cry:

Afterwards I put Vaseline on all roof seals / metal contacts which defiantly reduced the occasional rattles and luckily I haven't heard the loud bang / clunk since. :thumbsup:
Gone - Black Sapphire Z4 E89 35is
Gone - Midnight Blue Z4 E85 3.0si

35i-Nut

Intermittent Knock

Post by 35i-Nut » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:29 pm

I'll defo check the roof out thanks , still convinced its coming from underneath , difficult when you cant recreate the clunk doing a particular manover :x

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Intermittent Knock

Post by flybobbie » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:38 pm

When I first had my car there was a bump from the rear, sounded like a rubber mallet hitting the bottom of the boot.
Would happen if I drove one side of car over a speed hump, or up and over the raised side of a dropped curb, as I did to show a BMW tech guy. I noted a few folks on the US site with the same problem when they drove off their drive ways.
They never cured it.
After about six months replacing the rear anti roll bar bushes with polly and aftermarket dampers, I finally pulled off the rear right spring.
I washed and cleaned the mount rubbers, covered them in talc powder and mounted the spring 90 degrees anti clockwise from the removed position.
Now 3 years on still quiet.