Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Roof fault A696 Hall sensor

ian-r

Post by ian-r » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:03 pm

Hi everyone

Way back when we bought our car, the second time we put the roof back my wife left a shoe in the nsr of the boot, you know the part where the symbol indicates not to put luggage? :headbang:

Anyway, the roof went half back and stopped, i put it back and thought it would be ok. Basically, when taking the roof off now there is a 'bong' then the roof retracts but the operation stops when the roof is folded into the boot and the boot lid is open backwards. I then have to let go of the button and press it again for for the cycle to finish. When I shut the roof, the roof comes out of the boot until its about to latch down to the windscreen and stops. I then have to let go of the button and press again for the cycle to complete.

I used it like this over the summer but would ideally like it sorted, i plugged it in and have a fault code of A696 HALL SENSOR, OPEN CIRCUIT, CLOSING MOVEMENT , REAR-END MODULE as a permanent current fault. It stays in the ecu even when I try to clear it out.

I wonder if anyone could help, or knows where is particular sensor is ?

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:45 pm

Why not start here for the part numbers:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpar ... Id=54_0413
The four might be clipped to each end of the cylinders on just the right side.
Perhaps one has been knocked slightly out of position.
To me the diagram seems to be missing a sensor that detects that the roof protector is down. That looks like a hall type sensor, but not listed?
Then do a general search on google to try and identify the parts.
This could be interesting if you can decipher;
http://www.zroadster.com/forum/index.ph ... 91/page-15

R.E92

Post by R.E92 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:20 pm

Hope this helps. Location of all hall sensors;
https://s8.postimg.org/vwzz9vd6d/hall_sensors.jpg

matthew45033

Post by matthew45033 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:47 pm

Did you ever get to the bottom of this??

mine has started to do the same thing

thanks

Dietcokeman

Post by Dietcokeman » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:41 pm

I have just had this on my own car, bit of a voyage of discovery and a steep learning curve, but I now know where all the sensors are and all the micro switches . I will post something tomorrow as I've only just finished it today, but I think I will be able to help others with the same issues, with what I post. I took pictures ,and videos and have part numbers etc but just need time to post them and do a write up , so bare with me , but it's definitely a DIY job though if you want to do it yourself .

Dietcokeman

Post by Dietcokeman » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:18 am

Deepseaskateboard

Post by Deepseaskateboard » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:09 pm

Hi All,

Just started experiencing the issues written in the Update.

My windows will not raise on roof down sequence and boot will not open.

On roof up cycle the, the rear window is stuck on top of the roof.

I have to cycle back and forth a few times to complete the cycle.

So, If I just order items 4 & 5 on the list, the microswitches, will that be it?

Also are these easy enough to fit?

Is it just a case of cutting the cable ties and plugging the new ones in, and re tying them?

Haha I wish it was gonna be that simple!!

Any advice would be much appreciated!
I hope this does not get too expensive! :(

Cheers,
James

Dietcokeman

Post by Dietcokeman » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:02 pm

i think if you read what I've written in the PDF link fully, and see the pictures, I've taken , it will answer most of your questions. To answer your questions though ........

From what your saying it does, it does appear that it will be a micro switch 4 or 5, they are handed and I would get both to be sure, not difficult to change if you follow the PDF and as it mentions in that same PDF you may have to change the plug connectors on the new switches ( I just cut off the old plug connectors and solder them onto the new switches as it easier than using BMW''s upgrade connector kit which is a pain) .With boot opening problems it's normally one of these. However without having the car on my drive it's hard to be sure as the roof clam shell stalling on top of the roof mid cycle is also a hall sensor problem . These parts aren't expensive so I'd get both micro switches and a hall sensor . In your case from what you saying if the micro switches don't fix the issue, I'd turn my attention to the boot ram hall sensors, probobly the lower one ( they are all the same part btw ) though originally they were long or short cabled versions, now they only do the long cable version , but again you may have to cut/ splice the old cable plug connectors like the micro switches . Yes these micro switches and hall sensors are just screwed in ( micro switches ) or clipped in ( hall sensors ) and the power leads just cable tied up, ( make sure you put them back in about the same place or you risk damaging them with the operation of the roof )
Last edited by Dietcokeman on Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deepseaskateboard

Post by Deepseaskateboard » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:28 pm

Ah I see.

Is changing the connectors difficult?

Soldering etc?

That PDF guide is fantastic btw.

Edit:

Ah, just seen your edit.
Ok, not done soldering before but I can get help with that!

I will try the microswitches first.

I have noticed putting pressue on the boot when sitting in the drivers seat (reaching behind) enables the clamshell rear window to close, then windows up.

I think this is where its also getting stuck on roof down, its not registering as boot closed and not putting the windows back up.

Perhaps this is more of a sensor issue?

Dietcokeman

Post by Dietcokeman » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:40 pm

Deepseaskateboard wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:28 pm Ah I see.

Is changing the connectors difficult?

Soldering etc?

That PDF guide is fantastic btw.

Edit:

Ah, just seen your edit.
Ok, not done soldering before but I can get help with that!

I will try the microswitches first.

I have noticed putting pressue on the boot when sitting in the drivers seat (reaching behind) enables the clamshell rear window to close, then windows up.

I think this is where its also getting stuck on roof down, its not registering as boot closed and not putting the windows back up.

Perhaps this is more of a sensor issue?
Yep think I'd start with the right micro switch, when you get the ram out to access the little torx screws that hold the switch in place you might find them seized ! Hopefully they won't be but if they are ,you'll probobly need to cut a slot into to screw head with a dremel (or similar tool ) cutting disc , ( after you've chewed up the torx head !) so you can use a flat head screw driver to get the screws out ( be careful not to drop them ) Might be worth getting a spare screw . They can be a bugger !

If you need telephone help, feel free to ring me on 07771847714

Bryan
Last edited by Dietcokeman on Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

Deepseaskateboard

Post by Deepseaskateboard » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:45 pm

Yeah, I just checked the price of Hall Sensors!!

Microswitches are a good place to start.

I will try this and post the results!

Thanks again for your help.

James

Dietcokeman

Post by Dietcokeman » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:50 pm

Deepseaskateboard wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:45 pm Yeah, I just checked the price of Hall Sensors!!

Microswitches are a good place to start.

I will try this and post the results!

Thanks again for your help.

James
Switches and hall sensors were all around 20 quid each last time I bought them ?

Deepseaskateboard

Post by Deepseaskateboard » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:54 pm

Where did you get hall sensors from?

Checked on ebay and coming up for £190ish !!

Dietcokeman

Post by Dietcokeman » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:04 am

Deepseaskateboard wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:54 pm Where did you get hall sensors from?

Checked on ebay and coming up for £190ish !!
You have actually read the PDF file in the link .....right ? :poke:

I'm trying to be helpful, I really am, use the info in the PDF including the part numbers and call BMW and get prices, honestly it's not difficult ! I've given you the BMW part numbers and prices from last year in dollars( gives you a guide already ) but it's all there for you, you just need to read it and use the info for yourself, but all your doing is asking me ........stupidly I'm answering :roll:

Most of your questions are already answered in that PDF, which was kind of the point of doing it, so people could use the info for themselves rather than asking lots of questions about what and how to do things , most people who actually read it say it's pretty self explanatory.

. All you need to do is read it, actually read it, then you can help yourself., rather than asking questions which I've already covered . If you genuinely get stuck with things that aren't covered I'm happy to help, of course , but constantly asking question because it appears you haven't read what I've given you already , sort of indicates that you can't be bothered to help yourself, ........if that's so ,why should I bother ? Your getting all this info for free right ! I didn't need to do a write up but I thought it would be helpful for people, if they actually read it .

Unless the parts are really expensive , which they aren't , why buy from eBay, they could be damaged etc ? Use the part numbers I've given you and get them from BMW , again not rocket science .

You can lead a horse to water as they say !!!

Yes I'm a grumpy old man :roll: rant over

Deepseaskateboard

Post by Deepseaskateboard » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:32 pm

Not had a chance to read it yet, had a scan over.

Fault has only just occured, but will be having an in depth look in the week.

Panicing a bit!! Hopefully it can be fixed with the guide, and hopefully it is something as simple as a dodgy microswitch!