Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

3.51 engine fault sign

Johnbmwz4

3.51 engine fault sign

Post by Johnbmwz4 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:40 pm

Hi, I've had my car now for 8 months and loving it. I was driving today in sport plus mode having a blast when the bong came on and it said engine fault, possible to drive but restricted power. Go to dealers ASAP. Any way pulled over with engine running and fault sign still on and plugged in my code reader but it said no faults. I turned the engine off then back on and the fault had gone. Went for a drive, put it back in sport plus and everything fine, no restricted power just normal. This has happened to me twice before in the 8 months I have had the car. I'm not too concerned at the moment as when I turn the engine off the fault disappears . This only happens when it is in sport mode. It has never done it in normal driving mode.
Any ideas?
BMW E89 3.5i M Sport manual, loving it….
Audi S5 Cab, Great car but not special enough….
BMW E89 3.5i DCT, Havana Brown, should never have sold it…..
BMW E85 3.0 Auto, sadly missed (twice)

R.E92

3.51 engine fault sign

Post by R.E92 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:09 am

Does the engine go into reduced power mode or just throw up an error saying that?

If it drives as normal while the light is on then it's most likely an underboost problem. Probably deteriorated vacuum line somewhere and the turbo waste-gates aren't closing. Very hard to guess though as the brief is a little vague!

Johnbmwz4

3.51 engine fault sign

Post by Johnbmwz4 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:42 pm

Actually, now you mention it, the car doesn't feel any different when the warning is on but didn't drive too fast. I had a test drive in a X6 a couple of years ago and that went into reduced power mode and wouldn't go over 40mph i dont think.
BMW E89 3.5i M Sport manual, loving it….
Audi S5 Cab, Great car but not special enough….
BMW E89 3.5i DCT, Havana Brown, should never have sold it…..
BMW E85 3.0 Auto, sadly missed (twice)

R.E92

3.51 engine fault sign

Post by R.E92 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:39 pm

Johnbmwz4 wrote:Actually, now you mention it, the car doesn't feel any different when the warning is on but didn't drive too fast. I had a test drive in a X6 a couple of years ago and that went into reduced power mode and wouldn't go over 40mph i dont think.
Certain faults won't cause "limp mode". When the car goes into it's reduced power safety mode it runs incredibly rough. This mode is just designed to prevent any damage and get you to a safe position on the road.

Emissions related codes to do with the catalytic converters and some codes related to the efficiency of the turbochargers will throw up errors but nothing will change with regards to performance.

If you have a warranty then pop to a dealership. If not then use something like INPA, ISTA or BMWLogger to pull the codes out with your laptop.