Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Roof stuck

Busterboo

Roof stuck

Post by Busterboo » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:29 pm

Roof stuck ... aaarrrggghhh!!! :cry:

Driving through Cottenham, north of Cambridge, today ... trust me, the detail is relevant ... decided to put the roof down. It reached the boot-lid-vertical/largest-spoiler-on-a-car position and ... 'Bong' + red light + 'Roof System Failure'.

Thoughts of (i) being AA low-loader-ed home under a large tarpaulin, (ii) calling the nearest BMW concession & being charged a fortune, (iii) rain, (iv) w.t.f. and so on crossed my mind.

Decided to try what was possible before doing (i) or (ii). So, pressed Up & Down several times. Nothing, of course. Got out & tried to move all/any parts of roof. Remarkably solid, although deconstructed. More nothing. Realised that it was possible to reach between now-vertical boot lid and now-in-boot rear window. Tried to lift & re-click "boot cover" in boot - a name that must make more sense in German than English. Couldn't. So, pulled from boot all soft items that would slide through gap - 3 coats.

At this point, realised, too, that other items - 2 hard cases & a bag - had shifted in boot. Pushed them as far back as possible. Unclicked/re-clicked 'boot cover'. Pressed Up button and ... Bingo.

Now, the role of Cottenham in this saga. Today, by bizarre chance and before my roof stuck, I met a councillor of this good parish and complained to her about its large number of sleeping policemen that are unpainted or unmarked ...
Vidi, vici, veni

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Roof stuck

Post by Smartbear » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:57 pm

Runflats probably aggravated the issue Keith, rock hard & transfer sleeping policemen shocks to the car :wink:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Busterboo

Roof stuck

Post by Busterboo » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:42 am

Smartbear wrote:Runflats probably aggravated the issue Keith, rock hard & transfer sleeping policemen shocks to the car :wink:
Rob
:D Thank goodness I don't have them, Rob.

Mind you, as you know, my non-RFT Pirelli P Zeros are at 36psi front & 44psi rear, so your thinking could be right ...
Vidi, vici, veni

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Roof stuck

Post by Nictrix » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:55 am

Smartbear wrote:Runflats probably aggravated the issue Keith, rock hard & transfer sleeping policemen shocks to the car :wink:
Rob
:lol: :lol: Definitely sounds like a tyre issue :thumbsup:
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

ibroker

Roof stuck

Post by ibroker » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:04 am

This happend to me 2 months ago. Be carefull as if the boot lid is not locked down the roof can move from side to side and the top panel will damage itself on the mechanism.

Bmw warranty replaced the roof module but refused to pay for the damage caused in transit to the top roof panel.
Z4 35is Valencia Orange. Custom Quad Exhausts Custom 400hp Remap. :evil:

Busterboo

Roof stuck

Post by Busterboo » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:58 am

ibroker wrote:This happend to me 2 months ago. Be carefull as if the boot lid is not locked down the roof can move from side to side and the top panel will damage itself on the mechanism.

Bmw warranty replaced the roof module but refused to pay for the damage caused in transit to the top roof panel.
Feel your pain.

Have triple-checked mine and it's fine in every way. Shall, however, be triple-careful in future, too.
Vidi, vici, veni

Busterboo

Roof stuck

Post by Busterboo » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:14 am

10 days down the road and 10 openings & closings under normal conditions and the roof's working a treat.

I shall, however, always be careful of sleeping policemen moving loads in the boot.
Vidi, vici, veni