Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Weaving at Motorway Speeds

R.E92

Post by R.E92 » Fri May 05, 2017 7:41 pm

mr wilks wrote: Fri May 05, 2017 4:18 pm
R.E92 wrote: Fri May 05, 2017 12:29 pm I personally wouldn't bother with putting anything other than some good premium rubber on. Uniroyal RS3 may be better than the Landsail tyres you currently have but they are still a budget choice and not really fit for a sports car in my opinion.
I take it from offering your opinion on the RS3s you have experienced them on a sports car :? or any car :?
Budget choice :rofl: :P
No. Neither have I used Landsail, Evergreen, Linglong or Achilles tyres but there's always advocates of each telling me how underrated they are.
The RS3 tyres are always lined up against low performance tyres for basic A to B cars, never against UHP tyres. They seem to score below Goodyear Efficientgrips in every test I've seen. I have those tyres on my E46 320d and they are perfect for that vehicle but don't come close to a proper tyre.

My logic is to follow a combination of tyre test data in magazines and reviews from people who track cars regularly. There's also a good reason the likes of BMW fit the PSS to their faster models and it's not purely based off corporate kick-backs!

Buckz

Post by Buckz » Fri May 05, 2017 7:44 pm

R.E92 wrote: Fri May 05, 2017 7:41 pm
R.E92 wrote: Fri May 05, 2017 12:29 pm I personally wouldn't bother with putting anything other than some good premium rubber on. Uniroyal RS3 may be better than the Landsail tyres you currently have but they are still a budget choice and not really fit for a sports car in my opinion.
I take it from offering your opinion on the RS3s you have experienced them on a sports car :? or any car :?
No. Neither have I used Landsail, Evergreen, Linglong or Achilles tyres but there's always advocates of each telling me how underrated they are.
The RS3 tyres are always lined up against low performance tyres for basic A to B cars, never against UHP tyres. They seem to score below Goodyear Efficientgrips in every test I've seen. I have those tyres on my E46 320d and they are perfect for that vehicle but don't come close to a proper tyre.

My logic is to follow a combination of tyre test data in magazines and reviews from people who track cars regularly. There's also a good reason the likes of BMW fit the PSS to their faster models and it's not purely based off corporate kick-backs!
rs3's are actually very decent tyres for the performance! :) only bad thing I've heard about them is the wear rate.

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Fri May 05, 2017 8:00 pm

R.E92 wrote: Fri May 05, 2017 7:41 pm

BMW fit Bridgestone runflats to their fastest E89s so not sure where your logic goes with that :?
Like many when it comes to tyres you are simply voicing opinion based on what you have read or heard & not actual user facts & comparing Michelins with them is hardly fair as the pricepoint is not even close .
Ive used them on many vehicles , i covered over 5000miles with them on the front of my last ZM & more recently covered 1200 miles on a set of 4 to France & back , all surfaces , all weathers at varying speeds in a heavily tweaked 320BHP Scirocco R & never once were they twitchy , skittish or spun out , in fact the levels of grip are pretty impressive when you push on .
They are leagues away from budget rubber .
What they offer is a high level of comfort , high level of grip (wet or dry ) at a reasonable price .
There is no debate as far as i'm concerned when it comes to tyres , Michelin simply are the best but you have to pay for that quite heavily & for many users the extra cost outweighs what they actually need from a set of tyres .
There's a lot of snobbery with rubber , the big names will always court favour but Hankook , Vredestein & Uniroyal do offer something not to be sneered at :wink:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

R.E92

Post by R.E92 » Fri May 05, 2017 9:57 pm

It is a shocker that they put runflats on the Z4. I think a lot of that has to do with the lack of a spare though. On the M models they use MPSS because they'd get ripped to shreds by car reviewers otherwise.

I think part of the reason the E89 gets some lackluster reviews is the poor stock tyres. MPSS do cost a lot but I get good mileage out of them and they are a step up on comfort.
On my previous E92 I had Falken 452 which lasted 10k~ on the rear, Vred Ultrac Sessanta 12k~ and MPSS which gave upwards of 15 (never wore them down). On the Z I'm also getting 15k~ from MPSS on the rears.

The only thing I don't like about the MPSS is cabin noise. It's not the worst but I think there's merit in the Eagle F1s and their lower noise.

noz85

Post by noz85 » Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:02 pm

Hi all and first post here.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I luckily found it as I was stood in my friends garage as we scratched our heads as to why my wife's Z4 (newly purchased 2nd hand) was a death trap. The answer, thanks to this thread, the superb (joke) Landsail run flats.

We checked the geometry of the wheels and they weren't perfect but nothing unusual, and made some adjustments, and it did nothing to improve the frightening back end squirm. Then I found this thread, and we switched the back wheels for the fronts. Landsails for potenzas and it was like a different car.

Unfortunately the potenza's are run flats, and as we only need to replace the two landsails, we will be sticking on 2 more potenza run flats. Ideally I would stick 4 brand new michelin pilots on (non run flat) but it isn't a perfect world in which we live, and for now we will just have to make do. But when the time arrives when she needs 4 new tyres, she's getting pilots non run flat.

Thanks again for the information shared within this thread.

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:08 pm

Have done now 60k miles on the Goodyear Asy 1, 2 and 3's. All lasted about 20k.
Can't fault them other than the later tyres 2 and 3 seem to get noisy as they wear. I'm sure the core is harder to increase wear mileage but i change them at say 2.5mm because can't stand the noise.