Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

35IS Window Mis-aligned

sunnydays

35IS Window Mis-aligned

Post by sunnydays » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:24 pm

Hey all,

The drivers side window is misaligned by about an inch from the secondary smaller window behind it. Is this a common problem? What is the fix for this, my mechanic says the window actuator needs replacing, would this fix the alignment issue and could anyone please point me in the direction of where I can purchase this?

Thanks!

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

35IS Window Mis-aligned

Post by Maniac » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:29 pm

I'm not sure you understand what a window actuator is? It's the actual mechanism that lifts the glass and is quite involved to replace requiring disassembly of the door panel etc.

A pic may help explain your issue though.

sunnydays

35IS Window Mis-aligned

Post by sunnydays » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:33 pm

Maniac wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:29 pm I'm not sure you understand what a window actuator is? It's the actual mechanism that lifts the glass and is quite involved to replace requiring disassembly of the door panel etc.

Yeah this is what threw me, I thought that is what it was, I am not actually aware how the windows are aligned so to speak, I would have assumed a set of rails or such that the window slides up?

Whats confusing is why he thinks it needs a new actuator based on this, as it still slides up and down, He did dissemble the door panel to have a look and see what was wrong so maybe something else was spotted in their...

Pic below

Lynchy
Lifer
Lifer

35IS Window Mis-aligned

Post by Lynchy » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:44 pm

Perhaps the mechanism that lifts and lowers the window has dropped slightly and needs adjusting. If it were mine I'd take the door card off and have a look .

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

35IS Window Mis-aligned

Post by flybobbie » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:46 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ3FkjeL9TE
Have a look at this video, might get some idea what's wrong.

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

35IS Window Mis-aligned

Post by Maniac » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:21 pm

sunnydays wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:33 pm
Maniac wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:29 pm I'm not sure you understand what a window actuator is? It's the actual mechanism that lifts the glass and is quite involved to replace requiring disassembly of the door panel etc.

Yeah this is what threw me, I thought that is what it was, I am not actually aware how the windows are aligned so to speak, I would have assumed a set of rails or such that the window slides up?

Whats confusing is why he thinks it needs a new actuator based on this, as it still slides up and down, He did dissemble the door panel to have a look and see what was wrong so maybe something else was spotted in their...

Pic below

Could well be adjustment or indeed needing something replacing if it's damaged somehow. My rear drivers quarterlight makes some odd noises at times and I suspect that will need attention soon. Likely damage through grit/dirt or poor manufacture.

If it's not something you're comfortable with get an Indy (or BMW if in warranty) to sort.