Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

35i flat spot on set off

Markg.uk1

35i flat spot on set off

Post by Markg.uk1 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:26 am

Hi i have just bought my first z4 it's a 35i m sport and it's a great little car but it seems to have a bit of a flat spot when i set off
it just seems to have very little power for about 1 to 2 seconds before the power kicks in
it dosen't feellike turbo lag to me and i have been reading that it could need a dct software update?

is this a comon problem
do any of you guys get this
will a remap sort it out?

The car is 2010 if that helps

metal licker
Lifer
Lifer

35i flat spot on set off

Post by metal licker » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:06 am

Think its quite common when you first get a E89 you will get used to it with use and if you put it in Sport right away it doesn't seem to happen at all :)
718 4.0 GTS Boxster in YELLOW :driving:
718 Guards Red Boxster .........Gone!
A35 AMG saloon .........Gone!
JCW ...........Gone !
E89 35i Msport VO ................Gone !
E89 23i SE DSB ................Gone !

Hello to Jason Isaacs

AlanG

35i flat spot on set off

Post by AlanG » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:11 am

Hi Mark.
I have exactly the same problem. It is also very dangerous at junctions/round abouts. When you want to pull out, the car lurches forward slightly, then hesitates ( with the other vehicles bearing down on you), you instinctively compensate by flooring it, when the car overcomes its reluctance and you take off at 90mph! Not sure what the cause maybe, have considered throttle actuator problems? Also thought about a remap, but concerned what effect that would have on insurance premium?
E89 Z4 sDrive35iS Roadster Mineral Grey
Coral Red Kansas leather

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

35i flat spot on set off

Post by Maniac » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:21 pm

Entirely normal. There is always a possibility new software could help but this is a caveat of the DCT. It needs time to match driveshaft and engine speeds to engage the clutches from take off.

You adapt. I tend to hover on the throttle while coasting up to junctions as this helps spin up the box and engagement is quicker. Improves as the box warms up.

Markg.uk1

35i flat spot on set off

Post by Markg.uk1 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:27 am

AlenG yeah think i'm going to get a map as it is really annoying it is just so sluggish on set off its a 3 litre twin turbo for god sake
and metal licker i'm not convinced its normal if it was a 1 liter diesel i could understand but it's a sports car you shouldn't have to put it in sports to get it to go and it still happens in sport a bit just sport plus you don't feel it
tried restingbthe throttle control but it's the same

metal licker
Lifer
Lifer

35i flat spot on set off

Post by metal licker » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:48 am

Markg.uk1 wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:27 am AlenG yeah think i'm going to get a map as it is really annoying it is just so sluggish on set off its a 3 litre twin turbo for god sake
and metal licker i'm not convinced its normal if it was a 1 liter diesel i could understand but it's a sports car you shouldn't have to put it in sports to get it to go and it still happens in sport a bit just sport plus you don't feel it
tried restingbthe throttle control but it's the same
The remap is worth a try at the end of the day we pay a lot off money for our cars and should be able to enjoy every second :thumbsup:
718 4.0 GTS Boxster in YELLOW :driving:
718 Guards Red Boxster .........Gone!
A35 AMG saloon .........Gone!
JCW ...........Gone !
E89 35i Msport VO ................Gone !
E89 23i SE DSB ................Gone !

Hello to Jason Isaacs

Markg.uk1

35i flat spot on set off

Post by Markg.uk1 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:10 am

Yeah i agree
Its in for a quad exhaust next week and got some 20 inch wheels ordered so ill get some pics up when there done ,then coilovers when i sell the stock wheels then a remap so hopefully that will sort the lag