Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Converting Head Lamps for the Continent

RickRob
Lifer
Lifer

Post by RickRob » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:35 am

Smartbear wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:22 pm
RickRob wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:19 pm Excuse me evidencing my mammoth non-understanding of most things technical, but is all of the above re Adaptive Lights saying that the lights behave differently depending on whether they came on "automatically" or manually?

I am increasingly driving my Zed with the lights on manually all of the time, as I think that with more and more new cars with permanent running lights my Zed seems to becoming less and less visible! I just need to check that I am not missing out on hidden features depending on how the lights were switched on.

Off to Le Mans next week, so would be good for me to understand why I'm doing whatever I do! :P

All (very simple) explanations much appreciated.
Some e89's came with adaptive lights which turn with the wheel to see round corners better, it depends on wether the light switch is on "auto" or "on" to make them active, as far as I know e85/86 cars never had them :thumbsup:
Rob
Thanks Rob. I am pretty sure I don't have these.

I already have some stick-on beam deflectors which I will take with me and only stick on the cari if there's a chance of dlrivinrg in the dark, which I am not planning to do. Thanks again.
///M Roadster. 2007 Black/Black. Rear spoiler, whippy aerial, mud flaps and gimp-style wind deflector! :)

ackers888

Post by ackers888 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:47 pm

Rink re the email you got from the BMW homologation team, do you still have the email address that you contacted please? I’m about to move to France and would like a similar document to take with me , cheers

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:01 pm

I will dig it out for you! Is tomorrow ok - you’re not setting off tonight I would guess.
I must admit that I Printed a copy for my handbook / doc folder to present to the Polizei just in case.
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:14 pm

ackers888 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:47 pm Rink re the email you got from the BMW homologation team, do you still have the email address that you contacted please? I’m about to move to France and would like a similar document to take with me , cheers
I imported my UK car to Spain and during their MOT check in order to register onto Spanish plates they failed it saying the beam was not deflecting correctly according to test machine even though BMW UK told me exactly the same thing that the beam pattern is flat and there is no need to adjust anything. The beam pattern is indeed flat and never did I have problems driving through France or Spain at night but according to the beam pattern test machine at the MOT / ITV test centre it didn't pass! I had to change the deflection via a switch inside the headlight which you can only access by removing the wheel and part of the wheel liner.
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:12 pm

I didn’t think the E89 had this facility ?

Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:27 am

ronk wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:12 pm I didn’t think the E89 had this facility ?
It has, as I found out when I had to do it to pass the Spanish MOT (ITV). Once you remove the xenon bulb you can see a lever which you pull up or push down to change the deflection left or right. In that way the design is pretty much the same as the E85 / E86 headlamps.
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:23 am

Silverstar wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:27 am
ronk wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:12 pm I didn’t think the E89 had this facility ?
It has, as I found out when I had to do it to pass the Spanish MOT (ITV). Once you remove the xenon bulb you can see a lever which you pull up or push down to change the deflection left or right. In that way the design is pretty much the same as the E85 / E86 headlamps.
Every day is a school day!

Thanks for the info :thumbsup:

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:25 am

ackers888 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:47 pm Rink re the email you got from the BMW homologation team, do you still have the email address that you contacted please? I’m about to move to France and would like a similar document to take with me , cheers
I sent you the details- did you get them and were you able to contact them?

jm5611

Post by jm5611 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:50 pm

Hello, I would like to have this information also I live in France and I bought a z4 in England. Thank you in advance :D

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:22 pm

I will sort out the e-mail for you this evening and you can contact them directly.
This was the reply:-

Dear Mr K,
As both your vehicles have the adaptive headlight option fitted , no adaptors are required as the beam is flat and therefore will not dazzle oncoming traffic. This is covered in your owner manuals also as below.

Turn off adaptive lights setting.
“Adaptive Headlights, When driving in a country where you drive on the opposite side of the road from the country the car is licensed, do not drive with the setting, otherwise this could cause a dazzling effect from the cornering light.”

Kind regards
The Homologation Team

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:46 pm

So if you have the adaptive headlights option you don’t need to do anything to drive on the wrong side of the road..if you don’t then you need to flick the switch ?

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:19 pm

Pbondar wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:46 pm So if you have the adaptive headlights option you don’t need to do anything to drive on the wrong side of the road..if you don’t then you need to flick the switch ?
Think you got that back to front.
One assumes the adaptive turn in, so will dazzle drivers abroad. So you can switch them off.

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:25 pm

flybobbie wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:19 pm
Pbondar wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:46 pm So if you have the adaptive headlights option you don’t need to do anything to drive on the wrong side of the road..if you don’t then you need to flick the switch ?
Think you got that back to front.
One assumes the adaptive turn in, so will dazzle drivers abroad. So you can switch them off.
Thank you..it’s been a long emotionally draining day..on my second glass of Shiraz now..profoundly and utterly ashamed .. :rofl: