Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Parking brake issue

The_Dude

Parking brake issue

Post by The_Dude » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:57 pm

Got in the zed this morning to head out and a ping came on, along with an amber warning of the 'p' with the brackets around each side, followed by the amber '!' With the brackets round.

Then the handbrake wouldn't reapply! Luckily I had some stone to put in front of the wheels to park it.

Have it booked in with bmw and hopefully it'll be sorted under the warranty, but what could it be?
E89 23i M Sport, Saphire Black, Canberra Beige Leather.
Mods: De-badged, blue callipers, gloss black LCI's and roll over hoops, black performance grills, stubby aerial, rear carbon diffuser, gunmetal powdercoated alloys, custom stainless cat back exhaust.

metal licker
Lifer
Lifer

Parking brake issue

Post by metal licker » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:15 pm

There was a software update that was related to the handbrake it could be this :?
718 4.0 GTS Boxster in YELLOW :driving:
718 Guards Red Boxster .........Gone!
A35 AMG saloon .........Gone!
JCW ...........Gone !
E89 35i Msport VO ................Gone !
E89 23i SE DSB ................Gone !

Hello to Jason Isaacs

The_Dude

Parking brake issue

Post by The_Dude » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:19 pm

I thought it might be a sensor or software issue as the brakes are all working fine.

Fingers crossed! Though I'm sure they'll charge handsomely for the update haha.
Mods: De-badged, blue callipers, gloss black LCI's and roll over hoops, black performance grills, stubby aerial, rear carbon diffuser, gunmetal powdercoated alloys, custom stainless cat back exhaust.

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Parking brake issue

Post by flybobbie » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:01 pm

Warranty or not, if this was to happen to my car, I would expect a free software update, as it's obvious that if software fixes it, then it a software design problem.
This is a safety critical item.
I wonder if the emergency brake function works?
What year is the car?

The_Dude

Parking brake issue

Post by The_Dude » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:17 pm

I totally agree. If it's software, then I'll be arguing not to pay anything. Especially as it was only in for the recall last week!

It's a 2010.

Zikim

Parking brake issue

Post by Zikim » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:49 am

The_Dude wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:17 pm I totally agree. If it's software, then I'll be arguing not to pay anything. Especially as it was only in for the recall last week!

It's a 2010.
Do you have a link to the recall notice? I paid for the software update only 3 weeks ago so would be very interested to speak to the stealer about it.

The_Dude

Parking brake issue

Post by The_Dude » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:45 pm

Unfortunately not. It was on here in a thread actually. Something to do with a wire to the battery or fuse box.

It was a software issue. They've 'fixed' it and still refuse to accept that it was anything to do with the recall. Didn't charge, but now I have some annoying gear change indicator in the middle of the dash to try and get rid of!

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Parking brake issue

Post by Smartbear » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:26 am

The_Dude wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:45 pm Unfortunately not. It was on here in a thread actually. Something to do with a wire to the battery or fuse box.

It was a software issue. They've 'fixed' it and still refuse to accept that it was anything to do with the recall. Didn't charge, but now I have some annoying gear change indicator in the middle of the dash to try and get rid of!
Scroll through the obd options until you have a clear display, then push & hold the obc stalk for several seconds to turn off the gear change indicator display :thumbsup:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

The_Dude

Parking brake issue

Post by The_Dude » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:06 am

Many thanks for that. Saves me reading through the manual.

👍

matthurley

Parking brake issue

Post by matthurley » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:14 am

I've had this symbol for a few days , although my parking brake still works
Z4 30i Sdrive Space Grey/ Coral Red