Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Convertible top won't open

Kif

Post by Kif » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:39 am

Hey guys. Had my z4 for a couple months now. It's a 2010 sdrive30i. Recently I got a problem where I can't even open the roof anymore. The open roof button is glowing red. Then earlier today I pushed the close roof button and all my windows went down and now I can't figure out how to roll them back up.. please help!

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:22 am

Welcome in.
The first thing to check is the partition in the boot, is it in the correct position for lowering the roof. If its not the roof will not lower.
To put your windows back up, have you tried using the window switches on the drivers door?
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Kif

Post by Kif » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:17 pm

Yes we put the partition back and tried it that way. And I've tried everything to close the windows. Even reset the battery and still no luck.

suttz83

Post by suttz83 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:31 pm

You've probably already checked but have you checked fuses and relays etc?

Japseroony

Post by Japseroony » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:54 am

Open the boot and check for water down below the battery where the tool kit and spongy bit is and also around the lights - sounds like you may have water in one of the ECU's that are there?
UNDERSTEER is when you hit the fence with the front of the car,
OVERSTEER is when you hit the fence with the rear of the car,
HORSEPOWER is how fast you hit the fence,
TORQUE is how far you take the fence with you.

Poltergeist1966

Post by Poltergeist1966 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:33 pm

Did you ever get this sorted. My E89 3.0i (2010), has now developed the same fault. All the windows will drop, then nothing.

Bloody frustrating and dents the confidence in the car.
2010 E89 30i M Sport 6sp manual in Melbourne Red.

superduperredz4

Post by superduperredz4 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:38 pm

Oh dear these roof problems,mine is that the key fob will not open the roof anymore but it did until a few weeks ago it worked perfectly fine,you know how you feel all cocky walking towards your Z and watching the roof disappear into the boot,wonderful but now nothing ,I press the same button and all I get is the car unlocked and even if I keep pressing the roof ignores me.Tried both key fobs and no luck there.Checked battery and connected CTEK charger just to make sure all was ok there and it went through all the steps in about 2 hours so battery was topped up,still no roof movement.Oh yes it works fine from inside the car with the buttons but I just want to be flash and have the remote do it for me.Anyone got any ideas what this could be?
Have a nice day.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:55 pm

superduperredz4 wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:38 pm Oh dear these roof problems,mine is that the key fob will not open the roof anymore but it did until a few weeks ago it worked perfectly fine,you know how you feel all cocky walking towards your Z and watching the roof disappear into the boot,wonderful but now nothing ,I press the same button and all I get is the car unlocked and even if I keep pressing the roof ignores me.Tried both key fobs and no luck there.Checked battery and connected CTEK charger just to make sure all was ok there and it went through all the steps in about 2 hours so battery was topped up,still no roof movement.Oh yes it works fine from inside the car with the buttons but I just want to be flash and have the remote do it for me.Anyone got any ideas what this could be?
Has your car been serviced around this time? I'm wondering if this function can be wiped accidentally by the dealer :?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

superduperredz4

Post by superduperredz4 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:59 pm

Thanks for reply Rob but no I have not had a service lately,last one was back in January.Maybe I have touched something on the computer settings.Can this operation be tampered with using that system.I know lights and things can be altered by fiddling around.Mick.
Have a nice day.

superduperredz4

Post by superduperredz4 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:02 pm

Does the key fob have to be programmed to open the roof I wonder but then both mine do not do the business,I am confused. :tumbleweed:
Have a nice day.

mcbutler

Post by mcbutler » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:23 pm

Here is a thought, maybe the internal rechargeable batteries in your fobs are dying! I guess the car would shift towards a 'fail safe' scenario if asked to do critical actions (you cannot shut the hood manually if it gets stuck half way) from the key fob that it might not be able to complete. BMW recommend each key should be used at least once for a sustained trip every year, I cycle mine monthly.
Just a thought....
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

mcbutler

Post by mcbutler » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:24 pm

mcbutler wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:23 pm Here is a thought, maybe the internal rechargeable batteries in your fobs are dying! I guess the car would shift towards a 'fail safe' scenario if asked to do critical actions (you cannot shut the hood manually if it gets stuck half way) from the key fob that it might not be able to complete. BMW recommend each key should be used at least once for a sustained trip every year, I cycle mine monthly.
They are obviously induction charged so if you have an induction charge mat in the house drop them on it for the night and see what happens.....
Just a thought....
Last edited by mcbutler on Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

superduperredz4

Post by superduperredz4 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:51 am

Hi thanks for that info but just one thing you lost me at induction mat ! Can you tell me what that is and how can I get to do that as maybe you have solved my key fob problem,I do switch them regularly but maybe do not do the long run that they mention.Food for thought there then.Great to have someone with their thinking cap on.
Have a nice day.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:54 am

superduperredz4 wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:51 am Hi thanks for that info but just one thing you lost me at induction mat ! Can you tell me what that is and how can I get to do that as maybe you have solved my key fob problem,I do switch them regularly but maybe do not do the long run that they mention.Food for thought there then.Great to have someone with their thinking cap on.
Hi, induction is the method of charging-it happens when the car is driven & charges the key automatically.
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

superduperredz4

Post by superduperredz4 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:21 am

Amazing thing happened yesterday,my key fob opened the roof again after weeks of refusing to do so.I pressed the top button and to my amazement the windows went down and so did the roof ,happy days are here again. :thumbsup:
IMGP0348-001.JPG
IMGP0348-001.JPG (316.11 KiB) Viewed 4479 times
Have a nice day.