Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Tapping sound from engine!

mcbutler

Post by mcbutler » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:50 pm

Smartbear wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:33 pm
mcbutler wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:25 pm
Smartbear wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:18 pm

Never heard of mechanically noisy electronic pumps, they usually stay silent right up until they fail & fry your engine :cry:
Rob
Thats worth knowing Rob, thank you.
From what I've picked up on here & my own experience they tend to fail electronically & not mechanically-mine rhythmically pulsed the radiator fan immediately after cold starts which is early warning of pending death throes :roll:
Rob
"pending death throes" very dramatic, love it.... Personally I would say "gonna pop its clogs" :thumbsup:
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

mcbutler

Post by mcbutler » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:18 pm

I am beginning to think that this is the timing chain and/or tensioners-guides.
Yesterday it was quiet as a mouse for 3 hours while messing around with Carly, today it sounds like a ball bearing is rattling around inside...
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:48 pm

mcbutler wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:18 pm I am beginning to think that this is the timing chain and/or tensioners-guides.
Yesterday it was quiet as a mouse for 3 hours while messing around with Carly, today it sounds like a ball bearing is rattling around inside...
Those engines aren't renowned for chain/tensioner issues, have you tried the long screwdriver "stethoscope" test to try & pinpoint the noise?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

mcbutler

Post by mcbutler » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:06 pm

Yip tried it to no avail. Their is a small valve in the side of the engine block according to diagrams on realOEM website. Might be that, or I need a longer screwdriver! I think I will drop it round to my local indy and see what they say.
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

Rick Cockbain

Post by Rick Cockbain » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:19 pm

This is a common problem and in most cases it represents car not being used frequently or not being driven hard enough.
The valves will re-adjust via a purging process.
- Start the car and let it warm up (most important)
- Gradually rev engine in neutral to 2500 - 3000 rpm for 30 sec.
- Listen to see if tick is still happening as it may take up to 5 purges till valves adjust
As I do not use my Z4 that often, it will take a 2 to 3 purge process to quiet it down.
Should this not work, then the problem may require greater mechanical attention.

Redline till you Flatline

mcbutler

Post by mcbutler » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:48 pm

Rick Cockbain wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:19 pm This is a common problem and in most cases it represents car not being used frequently or not being driven hard enough.
The valves will re-adjust via a purging process.
- Start the car and let it warm up (most important)
- Gradually rev engine in neutral to 2500 - 3000 rpm for 30 sec.
- Listen to see if tick is still happening as it may take up to 5 purges till valves adjust
As I do not use my Z4 that often, it will take a 2 to 3 purge process to quiet it down.
Should this not work, then the problem may require greater mechanical attention.

Redline till you Flatline
Thanks for that Rick, I have recently had the car mapped and the noise appears to have gone!
If it returns I will follow your advice, you are right it does not get a lot of use, just 2 miles to the gym and two miles home most days.
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather