Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Is my dealer pulling a fast one?

Pipkin38

Post by Pipkin38 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:36 am

Hi all

I have a thread detailling the issues with my radio reception, or lack of it on my 2011 23i.

The vehicle is currently at the main dealers because I have told them that the radio was working perfectly before it went in for an oil service.

To cut a long story short, they have told me that the roof is leaking and this has fried the Diversity Amplifier / Antenna

I have seen the part removed and it is fried inside

As I was late for work and in a rush to drive away with a loan car I did not query the issue

Now having looked at realoem, the diversity antenna for my vehicle is situated in rear bumper on the passenger side, no where near the roof.

So if my roof is leaking, how does this affect the antenna? Surely the bumper would need to be leaking not the roof?

The vehicle is still at the dealers as they are unable to find the leak.

We came to an arrangement over the initial investigation as they had over charged me for the oil service but any further work is now going to cost £140 per hour plus vat. This doesnt include the replacement amp.

I know members are going to say that I should have used my local indy but as I said I thought that the damage was done whilst the vehicle was being serviced.

My options as I see it.....

Turn up at dealers first thing, stop any further work and ask to see the exact location of the antenna. Hand back the loan car and drive away to purchase parts and fit myself

Let them sort the leak and fit a new amp

Thanks in advance for the advice

Steve

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:43 am

You're trapped.
You can't prove the radio issue was connected to the oil service and I doubt it was unless say they jet washed the car as part of their customer service, etc.
They are showing you a damaged part and also advising the roof leaks, perhaps not connected.
I go back, seek clearer explanations, costs and decide what to do
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Pipkin38

Post by Pipkin38 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:21 am

Thanks for the reply

I did just that this morning

Went to the dealer and spoke with the technician who has shown me the area where he thinks the water is getting in. He is going to do a water test over the weekend and keep me informed.

Unfortunately there's no getting around the cost of a new Diversity amp which is £270.

The car was washed as part of the service but the part in question is not in the direct line of fire as it were.

I originally thought that they had dislodged something under the dash whilst changing the cabin filter.

This was the reason I went back to the dealer when I found the radio fault.

So far I have received a great service from them even though I was sceptical that maybe they were trying it on.

Weekend use of a nice 118i sport has softened the blow.

Thanks again for the advice

Steve.

superduperredz4

Post by superduperredz4 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:54 am

Hi yes I contacted my local BMW stealer and asked for some advice and was told that I would have to book in for a diagnostic thingy costing £135 for an hour ,yeah right phone went down pretty quick.
Have a nice day.