Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Pools of oil round spark plugs

mcbutler

Post by mcbutler » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:18 pm

Hi All,
Went for a nice cruise over Dartmoor yesterday evening. A guy pulled up next to me and said my car smelt of burning oil!!!
At that moment I got a whiff of it as well. This morning I noticed some oil seepage on the side of the engine between the front and halfway along above the exhaust manifold. I took the plastic cover off and I have pools of oil around spark plugs 2 and 3 counting from the front.
Camcover gasket??

Any ideas chaps??
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

jamie_z4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by jamie_z4 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:19 pm

mcbutler wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:18 pm Hi All,
Went for a nice cruise over Dartmoor yesterday evening. A guy pulled up next to me and said my car smelt of burning oil!!!
At that moment I got a whiff of it as well. This morning I noticed some oil seepage on the side of the engine between the front and halfway along above the exhaust manifold. I took the plastic cover off and I have pools of oil around spark plugs 2 and 3 counting from the front.
Camcover gasket??

Any ideas chaps??
youve nailed it - more than likely the rocker gasket
18 Z4s owned to date.

Current: 2.5i Titan silver

Daily driver: 480bhp M140i Shadow edition.

Buckz

Post by Buckz » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:29 pm

jamie_z4 wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:19 pm
Camcover gasket??

Any ideas chaps??
well, depends what engine?

my n52 just had this fixed(or so I hope, will check after a few good runs)

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=99109

mcbutler

Post by mcbutler » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:05 pm

Buckz wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:29 pm
jamie_z4 wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:19 pm
Camcover gasket??

Any ideas chaps??
well, depends what engine?

my n52 just had this fixed(or so I hope, will check after a few good runs)

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=99109
N52, it was the rocker cover gasket. Sent it in for repair, warranty stumped up for it. However (there is always a however) they had to disconnect a hose from the coolant header tank to remove the camcover. As they did so a clip from the hose fitting launched itself across the workshop and disappeared, (apparently into a parallel universe) never to be seen again.
Workshop has ordered and paid for new hose from BMW, only stock is in the good old fatherland so it could be a week before it arrives!
Bye Bye bank holiday cruising..
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather