Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Fault Codes p00aa and b2aaa

nosdod

Post by nosdod » Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:53 pm

I recently bought an approved used 2010 Z4 sdrive 30i from the local main dealer. Very happy with my purchase, but I wanted to find out more about the car so I purchased an OBD II wifi interface from Ebay and am running Torque on an Android phone. The App shows a couple of fault codes, P00AA and B2AAA. The P0 fault appears to be an inlet temperature sensor fault, but I can't find anything online about the 2nd fault.
There are no warning lights on the cars dashboard, and the car seems to be ok in every respect.
I went back to the dealer to get them to check it on their kit, and met what I would describe as 'resistence'. The service guy said that the codes displayed by this kind of device/app were not recognised by BMW. I thought OBD II and the common codes were part of a standard agreed between manufacturers - is that the case ?
Anyway he went on to say, what did I want them to do about it ? I said I'd like them to check the car and confirm what these faults meant.
I was told that to put the car on their diagnostic kit I would have to pay £120.
At this point, I thought it worth pointing out that I had only bought the car from them a couple of weeks ago and it was under warranty - at which point he became much more cooperative ... I'm booked in for a check later this week.

bob4333

Post by bob4333 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:06 am

That probably makes the purchase feel a bit sour, but if it's a good car then it's still a good car.

Get your own back by making the dealer fix everything and get him to explain what B2AAA really is and tell us all - because as you say the internet does appear to be indecisive in it's definitions.

Then relax and enjoy the car in spite of his attitude. :thumbsup:

Name 'n shame I say. (And start looking around for a good indy).

mcbutler

Post by mcbutler » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:58 pm

I use the carly app for BMW. It states in the App that when you interrogate the ECU's for faults it may find 'faults' which are not actually 'faults' due to the way it works apparently! Carly probes a lot deeper than the std OBD apparently. If you have no warning lights and car is fine then its probably nothing. B2AAA is an inactive error that sometimes shows when other errors are present.
The other code is 'Intake Air Temperature Sensor 1 Circuit Bank 2'
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

nosdod

Post by nosdod » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:17 pm

So BMW actually found 3 faults on there diagnostics.
  • Brake sensor fault
    Mirror glass fault
    Low battery
They replaced the faulty parts and charged the battery all under warranty.
Unfortunately my diag kit still reports P00AA and B2AAA!

EssexZed

Post by EssexZed » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:35 pm

Seems like a good result and hopefully you can get on and enjoy the car now with renewed confidence :driving: Does make you wonder what these main dealer used car multi point checks actually examine before the vehicle is sold with a warranty :?

bob4333

Post by bob4333 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:38 am

Good result OP. :thumbsup:

I'm intrigued as to what a "Mirror Glass Fault" is. Is it the motor that drives the door mirrors?

Can you enlighten me?
Last edited by bob4333 on Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Z4M-2006 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:26 am

Cheap Chinese diag kits can give rogue fault codes out..

Diag readers are only as good as the software inside them

And the cheap ones are next to useless

nosdod

Post by nosdod » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:59 pm

Mirror glass fault ... sorry I'm none the wiser on what it actually means. They changed the mirror glass, which I guess is heated, so maybe that wasn't working.

I've ordered a Carly interface now ...