Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E89 Cabin Air Filter Replacement

How-To articles are in here.
veryhuman

E89 Cabin Air Filter Replacement

Post by veryhuman » Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:05 pm

Hi all,

I recently attempted the cabin air filter change for the E89, its a straight forward process, but I just wanted to add a few notes I noticed.
Take a moment to watch this video, it was very useful for me https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpVYmq3aRlw

A few notes:
- A phillips screw driver is included in the trunk's tool kit, its the right size to take off the 3 screws, as the screws are up side down, turning the screw driver clockwise will loosen.
- Once the 3 screws are lose, there are at least 2 plastic clip screws that I noticed, to reinstall, line up the plastic screws and clip in, the metal screws will automatically line up with their holes.
- The foot well light bulb plug, turns 1/4 of a way, and slides out of its casing without effort, excess force is not necessary.
- Filter will not just slide in/out, due to the placement of the air filter housing and the foot well, it will slide in/out at first at an angle.
- Not a lot of details is given about air filter cap mechanism and how it opens/close. The video shows how its opened, sliding it away from the driver side. To close, line up the groves on the filter housing with the wings on the cap, push up (seal the cap and the air filter case), and slide it close, until the cap clips into place.
- Third party air filters is not recommended. The ones I bought (non OEM), just did not sit correctly for the cap to close. It felt like I was distorting the air filter.

Hope this helps, feel free to let me know if anything needs clarification.

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Re: E89 Cabin Air Filter Replacement

Post by flybobbie » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:17 am

I ordered a filter from Ebay, the site table said it was for the E89, but when it arrived it didn't fit. It was 1/2 inch to long or wide, possibly for the earlier version cars.
Also didn't realise until I sent it back that I should have tracked down a carbon version.

Recently ordered this;
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Z4-E89-E8 ... 462704c4da

See if that will fit.
I wouldn't have thought that the carbon would have a long life, perhaps this should be changed yearly?

Bazoz4

Post by Bazoz4 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:57 pm

Clockwise to undo screws ??? :)
2007 Z4 2.0 Roadster Montego Blue euro N46
2009 Hyundai Coupe S111 2.0 Silver
K5 Suzuki GSXR 1000 Blue and White Bike
All in use Z4 and Bike dry days only

Midhurstman

Post by Midhurstman » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:08 pm

Bazoz4 wrote:Clockwise to undo screws ??? :)
Agreed. Unless it is a left hand thread a standard rht screw is undone by turning in an anticlockwise direction, no matter what position it is in.

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:26 am

The filter I just fitted turned out to be about 1/8 of an inch to long, so got a bit crushed in the frustrating process of fitting. This will be the second that didn't fit properly. The first was about 1/2 inch too long.
Probably remove and have a look at shaving the excess off. Why can't after market manufacturers just knock off decent copies?
Strange how much dried leaves fall out. Thought there would be a mesh to prevent them entering.
Looks like another small project.
Use to bodging filters.
Rx7 air filters were £40. Ford Granada filters were £7 and would fit with a little modification and silicon!