Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Remove CDV

How-To articles are in here.
TrickyDicky

Re: Remove CDV

Post by TrickyDicky » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:04 pm

Machine monkey wrote:Ok i dont have a full grasp so this might not be 100% correct.

But my understanding the CDV is to prevent harsh and sudden shocks causing damage to the DMF. From surges of power from say the clutch being drooped or poor gear changes. Its sole purpose is to protect the DMF from shock.
Yep that's it :-) basically slows down the clutch action

Posted from Tapatalk
E46 M3 SMG. Photo (c) Bing :-)
Previously E85 3.0 SE

Adamski
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Adamski » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:29 pm

CDV has a restrictor plate in it. It means that no matter how quickly you release your foot from the clutch, the clutch will engage at a constant speed.

So, when the clutch initially bites, it will take a split second longer to be fully engaged. This makes changing from 1st to 2nd gear very difficult to do smoothly.

When you remove the valve, it's like driving a normal car again.
Gone: Z4M Coupé|Black Sapphire|OEM CSLs|Aero Skirts|OEM Strut Brace|Nav|Heated Seats|Logic 7 Pro Hi-fi|Bluetooth|Carbon Leather|PDC|BMW Assist|Stubby
Gone: Cherished 2003 3.0i Black Sapphire Roadster

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Jembo » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:08 pm

... just don't dump & bounce the clutch badly in first after you have it done, can end up shattering the flywheel on extreme instances.

My 3.0 was quite smooth between 1st & 2nd after CDV removed, one of my fav & early mods
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54

wilbo

Post by wilbo » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:47 pm

Adamski wrote:CDV has a restrictor plate in it. It means that no matter how quickly you release your foot from the clutch, the clutch will engage at a constant speed.

So, when the clutch initially bites, it will take a split second longer to be fully engaged. This makes changing from 1st to 2nd gear very difficult to do smoothly.

When you remove the valve, it's like driving a normal car again.
Machine monkey wrote:Ok i dont have a full grasp so this might not be 100% correct.

But my understanding the CDV is to prevent harsh and sudden shocks causing damage to the DMF. From surges of power from say the clutch being drooped or poor gear changes. Its sole purpose is to protect the DMF from shock.
Thanks guys :thumbsup:

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:50 am

I've left the CDV in place on the basis that I haven't noticed an issue and it's there for a reason, if BMW could save a few quid and delete it I guess they would? The only time I get up-changes a bit off is immediately after hitting the sport button as the throttle response is much sharper but you soon adjust. Not sure how CDV delete would affect this reaction?
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

Stuart Truman
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Stuart Truman » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:17 am

Exactly right :thumbsup:

This is another "can o' worms" topic. Ultimately your car your choice. The effect on an M is apparently less than the non M, but it doesn't take too long to adjust to driving style.
Add yourself to the Z4 Map HERE! Instructions HERE!
Z4M Roadster, Imola Red, with Stubby and Intravee II. Low Miles per Gallon, High Smiles per Gallon
Previously Alpina Roadster S #69 Alpina Blue

igeak691

Post by igeak691 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:17 am

Can anybody quantify how long the stock CDV "lengthens" catch time? Is it more on the verge of milliseconds or is it more substantial?
YouTube channel with car vlogs in my zed!
Please subscribe and share my videos with fellow enthusiasts!

igeak691

Post by igeak691 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:18 am

Can anybody quantify how long the stock CDV "lengthens" catch time? Is it more on the verge of milliseconds or is it more substantial?
YouTube channel with car vlogs in my zed!
Please subscribe and share my videos with fellow enthusiasts!

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:28 am

There is also the argument that due to the delay in the clutch being released that there is an increase in clutch wear.

One of the best mods I did on my old car, but as above not so noticeable on the ///M.

stayfrosty

Post by stayfrosty » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:59 am

Deleting it totally transformed my M, I am still on cloud nine with this mod, 8 days after removing it and it feels like a different car. I can't stop grinning and love the smooth gearchanges as after six months of ownership I was still unable to completely drive around the CDV.
I don't want to be too evangelical about this but DO IT!

Silver grey Z4MC
Mods: Strongstrut 3 piece / CDV delete / Stormworks ST1 gearknob / clutch stop / stubby / ipod integration / LED interior / Magnaflow custom exhaust

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:32 pm

The beauty of the E89 setup is, if you don't like the feel after removal, its easy to put the valve back in place, its just a push fit with clips.
Unlike earlier version requiring the drilling out of the valve or similiar.

I,ve misplaced the valve, otherwise would have a closer look.
Basically i think its gives full flow on depressing the clutch, but delays the release by restricting the flow through a smaller orifice, so the clutch plates close more slowly giving a constant closure rate.

Unfortunately in the winter i think the hydraulic fluid is a bit more dense so doesn't flow as easily giving me the judder on take up.
Perhaps the reason for the wiggly metal pipe to warm the fluid up a bit in winter?
Perhaps they had a load of wiggly pipe work to get rid of!

pharmed

Post by pharmed » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:05 pm

flybobbie wrote:The beauty of the E89 setup is, if you don't like the feel after removal, its easy to put the valve back in place, its just a push fit with clips.
Unlike earlier version requiring the drilling out of the valve or similiar.
No drilling out required on the earlier version... on the e85 the CDV just unscrews and you put the hose back without it then bleed.

E89_Gaz

Post by E89_Gaz » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:18 pm

The curly pipe is purely to aid installation during construction.

Adam83

Post by Adam83 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:21 pm

Can anyone tell me if it's as straight forward to do as the images at the start of this thread on an e86 3.0?
3.0si Coupe, Silver Grey, Red Leather, Eibach Pro, CSL's, Black Kidney Grill's, Stubby, OEM Dust Caps... going for the OEM+ look ;-)

SteveG

Post by SteveG » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:10 pm

That's one of the great things about a forum like this for new members and owners of the car. I've been thinking about the awful gearchange particularly when going from first to second and have been trying to drive round it since I collected my car. A quick search through the 'new posts' after a couple of days away and this pops up. Really helpful. :)
Steve
2004 3.0 SE
'Old mans last chance'