Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Using battery trickle charger over winter

How-To articles are in here.
Oakleyextreme

Using battery trickle charger over winter

Post by Oakleyextreme » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:47 am

I've bought a bmw charger to use over winter but was wondering do I lock my zed or leave it unlocked as I'm not sure if the charger will set off the alarm?
I would think I should be able to lock my zed without any problems but wondering if anyone else has experience this.

Taz
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Using battery trickle charger over winter

Post by Taz » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:58 am

Oakleyextreme wrote:I've bought a bmw charger to use over winter but was wondering do I lock my zed or leave it unlocked as I'm not sure if the charger will set off the alarm?
I would think I should be able to lock my zed without any problems but wondering if anyone else has experience this.
my charger is connected direct to the battery, i have a mains cable in the boot and the boot is closed, no problems with the alarm at all

Taz
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Taz » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:01 am

PerryGunn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PerryGunn » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:25 am

Same as Taz, CTEK charger in boot connected directly to battery, mains cable running out under boot lid.

Car is garaged and locked but with the boot lid down but not latched - I don't think the alarm activates until both doors and the boot are shut/latched
Alpina Roadster S #320
* Quaife ATB LSD * StrongStrut Braces * Turner RTAB Limiters * Gap-Tech RCH+ *
* Intravee & KCA-420i * Mini 0806 * Cheetah C550 * Stubby *

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:32 am

PerryGunn wrote:Same as Taz, CTEK charger in boot connected directly to battery, mains cable running out under boot lid.

Car is garaged and locked but with the boot lid down but not latched - I don't think the alarm activates until both doors and the boot are shut/latched

Interesting - does the car actually fully shut down if you leave the boot partially open?
For the reason of not trapping the cable I connect my set up under the bonnet on the first catch.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Taz
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Taz » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:39 pm

cj10jeeper wrote:
Interesting - does the car actually fully shut down if you leave the boot partially open?
For the reason of not trapping the cable I connect my set up under the bonnet on the first catch.

The cable does not get damaged when it's trapped under the boot lid, only a slight compression mark is found on the cable

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:47 pm

Taz wrote:
cj10jeeper wrote:

The cable does not get damaged when it's trapped under the boot lid, only a slight compression mark is found on the cable
I get that and have done similar myself. My question was really of PerryGun who indicated he leaves the boot open.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

PerryGunn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PerryGunn » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:56 pm

cj10jeeper wrote:
PerryGunn wrote:Same as Taz, CTEK charger in boot connected directly to battery, mains cable running out under boot lid.

I'm pretty sure that the car goes into it's 'sleep' state - If I unlock it and turn on the ignition you can hear the pumps prime and the satnav shows the boot screen which, AIUI, it only does if the car is 'waking up' from a full shut-down state. I think it treats it the same as if you pop the boot using the remote, that doesn't seem to wake up all the systems either

Although with the CTEK connected it wouldn't really matter if it didn't fully shut down...
Alpina Roadster S #320
* Quaife ATB LSD * StrongStrut Braces * Turner RTAB Limiters * Gap-Tech RCH+ *
* Intravee & KCA-420i * Mini 0806 * Cheetah C550 * Stubby *

Oakleyextreme

Post by Oakleyextreme » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:59 pm

I have the E89 zed so on shutting the boot it electronically latch down.

I was thinking on connecting to the battery terminal leads under the bonnet then dropping the charger cables down to the floor so bonnet close as normal.

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:03 pm

Oakleyextreme wrote:

I have the E89 zed so on shutting the boot it electronically latch down.

I was thinking on connecting to the battery terminal leads under the bonnet then dropping the charger cables down to the floor so bonnet close as normal.
That would be the best method by far.

Oakleyextreme

Post by Oakleyextreme » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:04 pm

One thing Taz I would recommend unwinding all of the extension cable when in use.
I know it's only a small current going through the cable but it could get hot coiled up.
:thumbsup:

Taz
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Taz » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:10 pm

Oakleyextreme wrote:
One thing Taz I would recommend unwinding all of the extension cable when in use.
I know it's only a small current going through the cable but it could get hot coiled up.

for the amount of current its drawing and the fact that its outside i can't see there being any issue at all, but noted thanks

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:40 pm

Taz wrote:
Oakleyextreme wrote:

for the amount of current its drawing and the fact that its outside i can't see there being any issue at all, but noted thanks
If you had a long enough extension lead this method could also let you drive to the local shops without disconnecting the charger :rofl:
Regards

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:18 pm

I trickle charge to the under bonnet points but feed the extension flex (with single outlet ) into engine bay near the wipers so i can close the bonnet properly without it trapping
I don't like the idea of a crushed or trapped lead leading to a possible 240v car :o although it is plugged into circuit breaker as well
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

LeeZ4MR
Lifer
Lifer

Post by LeeZ4MR » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:30 pm

Smartbear wrote:
If you had a long enough extension lead this method could also let you drive to the local shops without disconnecting the charger :rofl:
Regards
:lol:

I used to forget mine was plugged in! :oops: and on a few occasions I have driven out of the garage and ripped the cables apart but luckily each time I managed to fix the connections without too much of an issue.
Current...BMW F82 M4 Coupe 2018
370Z Roadster 2011
Merc GLE400d 2022
Caterham 7 2002

Previous...
640d 2012
330i 2006
Z4MR 2006
E92 M3 2009
X5 4.8iS 2004
TVR Cerbera 4.5