Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Removal of hand print

How-To articles are in here.
Andyarmra

Removal of hand print

Post by Andyarmra » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:13 am

Hi all. I'm hoping someone has an idea how to sort this. I have a hand print on my roof which will not go. :cry: I've tried giving it a good clean but it's still there. I'm thinking of T cut. Anyone got any better ideas on how I can remove this abomination? :headbang: It looks like a grease print that has "burnt" into the lacquer. It's only visible in sunlight but it's still an eye sore!

Thanks for any help.

Andy.
2011 Deep Sea Blue sDrive30i Z4 Highline, 19" 326 Double spoke, M sport, Cream Leather, F & R PDC, Heated Seats, pro nav and SmartTop. Previous cars: 3.0 V6 A4 Audi Quattro and Nissan 200 SX S14a touring. :driving:

synthedup

Removal of hand print

Post by synthedup » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:16 am

Hi Andy,

Try wet sanding it with some 3000 and then buffing over :thumbsup:

ba3bas

Removal of hand print

Post by ba3bas » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:18 pm

clean the panel with IPA (alcohol) to remove grease

Polish with a good polish (not t-cut) but I assume you're not a pro and get some compound polish such as mcguires if going Halfords or
for quick jobs i'd use Gtechniq Nano-composite polish if you're happy ordering online and get their tri foam applicator.

and then work up/down left/right (not circles - no wax on wax off technique for the best finish)

Hand print will be gone
Untitled by Ba3bas, on Flickr

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Removal of hand print

Post by Ducklakeview » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:26 pm

Not a mark made by sun screen lotion is it, one of the things that seems to mark my paint like a biatch! (having 8 kids, I know from experience!) whatever you do, don't use the devil's juice, T-Cut...

Anyway, I always use Autoglym pain renovator polish, as said parallel strokes and then a coat of good polish wax on top usually does the trick for me.

Mike

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Removal of hand print

Post by flybobbie » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:02 pm

Never seen a hand print on a car, but have seen one burnt onto the exposed silencer of a Robinson R22 helicopter.
I bet that stung and that person won't be doing that again.

Andyarmra

Removal of hand print

Post by Andyarmra » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:36 pm

flybobbie wrote:Never seen a hand print on a car, but have seen one burnt onto the exposed silencer of a Robinson R22 helicopter.
I bet that stung and that person won't be doing that again.
:!: Ouch, that's gotta hurt!

Thanks for the response everyone. I think it was after I'd given the wheels a good clean and must have placed my dirty hand on the roof. :oops: All I want is a simple and quick way of getting it off.

Thanks for the ideas. I think Ill give the Autoglym paint renovator polish a go first and I'll let you know how I get on! :thumbsup:

Andy
2011 Deep Sea Blue sDrive30i Z4 Highline, 19" 326 Double spoke, M sport, Cream Leather, F & R PDC, Heated Seats, pro nav and SmartTop. Previous cars: 3.0 V6 A4 Audi Quattro and Nissan 200 SX S14a touring. :driving:

Andyarmra

Removal of hand print

Post by Andyarmra » Sun May 01, 2016 6:50 pm

Ducklakeview wrote:Not a mark made by sun screen lotion is it, one of the things that seems to mark my paint like a biatch! (having 8 kids, I know from experience!) whatever you do, don't use the devil's juice, T-Cut...

Anyway, I always use Autoglym pain renovator polish, as said parallel strokes and then a coat of good polish wax on top usually does the trick for me.

Mike
BRILLIANT!!!! The hand print is no longer!! Cheers Mike. Before using the paint renovator it suggests to try the super resin polish so I thought, why not give it a go. Well it worked a treat and the car is looking gorgeous! I'd highly recommend this stuff to anybody. :thumbsup:

Thanks again.

*AL*

Removal of hand print

Post by *AL* » Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:47 pm

T-Cut isn't as bad as some people make out lol, used properly it's fine. :roll:
2009 (59) Z4 E89 3.0i Sdrive in deep sea blue, white extended leather, I-drive, folding mirrors. Suzuki GSX 1300R Hayabusa