Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Battery Charging

How-To articles are in here.
trucker99

Battery Charging

Post by trucker99 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:23 pm

Need some advice just bought a ctex mxs 5.0 charger for my e89, went for this one as recommended by a friend. Thinking of using the permanent battery terminal fixings. When on charge do I need to remove the foam cover and leave the boot open. The cables for the connectors under the bonnet aren't long enough as the + and - points are to far away from each other. Thanks in advance
2.8 M Sport, mineral white and ever extra toy fitted + stubby
2.0 M Sport, Alpine White gone but not forgotten

Baza

Battery Charging

Post by Baza » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:49 am

I use the same charger on my E89, I have permanently connected the short connector leads to the battery, and when wanting to put the car on charge I just crack open the rear quarter light and thread the main lead through and down to the battery connection lead. I do take of the boot floor cover over the battery of but leave the boot closed. My car was on the CTEX all over winter without an issue (Garaged)I can't remember if I bought the extra length lead and battery connection lead as an option when I bought the charger or if it is supplied as standard.
Panther Kallista 2.8
S Drive 3.0i E89 2009 Space Grey Coral red Int 18" 295 wheels

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Battery Charging

Post by Ducklakeview » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:51 am

The C-Tek will be fine without removing any covers, it only gives a few amps max, and then drops to milliamps. Those sort of charge rates won't gas off the cells. I use mine all year round on a couple of my cars without problems.

Mike

Jey

Battery Charging

Post by Jey » Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:08 am

https://bimmerscan.com/bmw-intelligent- ... ensor-ibs/

Should not connect any charger directly to the negative on the battery terminal. Method is to connect the native to the body, this way the IBS monitors the input into the battery and its state. This means that you will get a true state recorded and a good indicator of the longevity of the battery. Ive seen all sorts of errors generated when the IBS thinks the battery is in a poor state because it was changed this way. Many say, never seen an issue connecting straight tot he battery, however, you may get issues that you do not attribute to the battery.

Just mho, and a link to provide more information.
E89 - s23i 2010 Saphire Black
18 inch alloys for comfort - Idrive, cruise, and lots of smiles per mile... :D

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Battery Charging

Post by Chris_D » Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:40 pm

Jey wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:08 am https://bimmerscan.com/bmw-intelligent- ... ensor-ibs/

Should not connect any charger directly to the negative on the battery terminal. Method is to connect the native to the body, this way the IBS monitors the input into the battery and its state. This means that you will get a true state recorded and a good indicator of the longevity of the battery. Ive seen all sorts of errors generated when the IBS thinks the battery is in a poor state because it was changed this way. Many say, never seen an issue connecting straight tot he battery, however, you may get issues that you do not attribute to the battery.

You're specualting that the IBS works with the same logic as the CTEK charger or that you should not connect the CTEK directly to the battery terminals?
I'd suggest it doesn't.
I have removed the battery from the car and connected the ctek charger directly to the battery terminals for long periods of non-use (6 months) without any issues.
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Battery Charging

Post by flybobbie » Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:10 pm

BMW recommend you use the under bonnet terminals. I assume not to upset the battery monitoring.
If you have something like Foxwell reader it gives some historical state charge rates.

Jey

Battery Charging

Post by Jey » Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:27 pm

Chris_D wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:40 pm
Jey wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:08 am https://bimmerscan.com/bmw-intelligent- ... ensor-ibs/

You're specualting that the IBS works with the same logic as the CTEK charger or that you should not connect the CTEK directly to the battery terminals?
I'd suggest it doesn't.
I have removed the battery from the car and connected the ctek charger directly to the battery terminals for long periods of non-use (6 months) without any issues.
Im not speculating at all, the IBS is designed to regulate charge and monitor battery health based on this data. by-passing the IBS with external charge confuses this and can affect battery health/life. Im happy for you that you charge independently and see no issues, it doesn't change the facts. it can cause the battery to overheat by putting excess charge into the battery essentially frying it.
Anyway, read up on IBS and make your own mind up and all will be well in the world :)
E89 - s23i 2010 Saphire Black
18 inch alloys for comfort - Idrive, cruise, and lots of smiles per mile... :D

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Battery Charging

Post by B21 » Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:44 am

Jey wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:27 pm
Chris_D wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:40 pm

I'd suggest it doesn't.
Im not speculating at all, the IBS is designed to regulate charge and monitor battery health based on this data. by-passing the IBS with external charge confuses this and can affect battery health/life. Im happy for you that you charge independently and see no issues, it doesn't change the facts. it can cause the battery to overheat by putting excess charge into the battery essentially frying it.
Anyway, read up on IBS and make your own mind up and all will be well in the world :)
:thumbsup: Spot on..
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard..