Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Z4 E89 Wind Deflector Measurements

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
ecwilly1464

Post by ecwilly1464 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:43 pm

Hi does anyone have any photos and measurements where to fit the wind deflector centre brackets for the mesh deflector ???

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:54 pm

Ive seen it on the forum, if you use the search facility it should come up?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

ecwilly1464

Post by ecwilly1464 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:37 pm

Smartbear I cant find it can you help ?

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:17 pm

Here, I've found this :thumbsup:

RayM wrote:
Hi Guys

Looking at a couple of E89's and one doesn't have the wind deflector option.. Can this be retrofitted or is it a real PITA?

It's a bit of a pain Ray. Depends on how you get on with tools though, you need to remove the roll hoop plastic covers, not easy to do without breaking a couple of the connecting lugs, drill out the metal hoops, replace covers and fit the deflector kit. Straightforward if you're handy but fiddly and easy to get wrong if not. There are several 'gimp' style covers that fit over the hoops but imo they're pretty ugly, that's just me though obviously.

Bought my car without wind deflector and did the retrofit. Got wind deflector from ebay and replaced the roll hoop plastic covers with wind deflector models (no need for drilling holes). Job took about 15 mins and wasn't hard

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

mcbutler

Post by mcbutler » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:45 pm

Smartbear wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:17 pm Here, I've found this :thumbsup:

RayM wrote:
Hi Guys

Looking at a couple of E89's and one doesn't have the wind deflector option.. Can this be retrofitted or is it a real PITA?

It's a bit of a pain Ray. Depends on how you get on with tools though, you need to remove the roll hoop plastic covers, not easy to do without breaking a couple of the connecting lugs, drill out the metal hoops, replace covers and fit the deflector kit. Straightforward if you're handy but fiddly and easy to get wrong if not. There are several 'gimp' style covers that fit over the hoops but imo they're pretty ugly, that's just me though obviously.

Bought my car without wind deflector and did the retrofit. Got wind deflector from ebay and replaced the roll hoop plastic covers with wind deflector models (no need for drilling holes). Job took about 15 mins and wasn't hard
You can buy the brackets and screws from BMW for around £12, the rear hoop covers are replaced with drilled items for around £24 each.
I did this 2 weeks ago, it took me 25 minutes and easy as pie.
If you want part numbers to order or advice just PM me buddy.
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

DrChef

Post by DrChef » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:36 pm

An alternative would be buying a transparent glass-like wind deflector, that you can easily install by plastic straps that fit around the roll hoops. It's very stable, no vibration or wind noise and you can remove it whenever you don't need it (e.g. winter season), without the need to permanently modify your roll hoops, with risk of damaging them or not fitting the deflector properly...