Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Hill Climb on E brake

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Hill Climb on E brake

Post by flybobbie » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:43 pm

If I stop using the foot brake on a slope, my ebrake applies itself for 2-3 seconds after I release the foot brake to move off.
The not fitting hill assist on later models seems an oversight, unless BMW were having problems with it.

mjennings23

Hill Climb on E brake

Post by mjennings23 » Sat May 06, 2017 10:24 am

Nictrix wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:34 pmIf you think that is bad you should try the auto hold in the X6, its a pain in the arse when trying to park as everytime you come to a stop the e-brake activates and then the accelerator must be pressed to get rolling again.
Its great everywhere else, at lights, at junctions, in traffic etc. but parking is annoying.
My Dad's F10 5 series has this too, it was a little odd at first but I see the advantages of it. Also, its easy to turn off, there is a button next to the handbrake switch to turn it off for manoeuvring into parking spaces etc. This may be different in the X6?

DMC63

Hill Climb on E brake

Post by DMC63 » Sat May 06, 2017 11:00 am

Silverzedtom wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:05 pm My e85 has hill start assist. When in gear you'd have your foot on the brake and then when you move your foot from the brake pedal the car is held for a couple of seconds, giving enough time to get your foot over to the accelerator.

I'd assume this is tech that they would pass on to the e89 as it's a newer model. Not sure exactly what your asking though a bit more of a description might help you get a more helpful answer :thumbsup:
Is this 'hill assist' on the original 2003 E85?
BMW Z4 2003 2.5i and lots of bits and pieces - 2016 - 2020 Sold

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Hill Climb on E brake

Post by buzyg » Sat May 06, 2017 11:46 am

Marlon wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:58 pm I'm getting a little confused by this thread - the park assist on my E85 is great; no need to balance the clutch when setting off on an incline, I can't see any negatives whatsoever.
Have you tried manoeuvring back and forth on a slope. Our drive way is sloped the hill assist is a pain in the butt at times. We have a hand break, which gives far better control when doing a hill start. :thumbsup:

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Hill Climb on E brake

Post by Marlon » Sat May 06, 2017 5:17 pm

buzyg wrote: Sat May 06, 2017 11:46 am
Marlon wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:58 pm I'm getting a little confused by this thread - the park assist on my E85 is great; no need to balance the clutch when setting off on an incline, I can't see any negatives whatsoever.
Have you tried manoeuvring back and forth on a slope. Our drive way is sloped the hill assist is a pain in the butt at times. We have a hand break, which gives far better control when doing a hill start. :thumbsup:
Ah right - I can see why that would be tricky
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Hill Climb on E brake

Post by flybobbie » Sat May 06, 2017 8:17 pm

On a slope when you apply the foot brake the hill assist holds for a few seconds or until you start to move forward, so shuffling back and fourth not a problem.

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Hill Climb on E brake

Post by Nictrix » Sun May 07, 2017 11:24 am

mjennings23 wrote: Sat May 06, 2017 10:24 am
Nictrix wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:34 pmIf you think that is bad you should try the auto hold in the X6, its a pain in the arse when trying to park as everytime you come to a stop the e-brake activates and then the accelerator must be pressed to get rolling again.
Its great everywhere else, at lights, at junctions, in traffic etc. but parking is annoying.
My Dad's F10 5 series has this too, it was a little odd at first but I see the advantages of it. Also, its easy to turn off, there is a button next to the handbrake switch to turn it off for manoeuvring into parking spaces etc. This may be different in the X6?
Yep, its just a button to switch it on and off. It has its uses but not for parking.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

ihadablackdog

Hill Climb on E brake

Post by ihadablackdog » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:41 pm

The 4 cylinder e89's never had hill assist. I know this as I had one when they did the deal with about £8k off. I got mine in 2012 - all the literature - brochures, website etc said it was a "standard" feature, but when the cars started arriving to customers we found out it wasn't. It was only then available on the 6 cylinder cars. I think it was available on the previous models, sdrive23 etc...

BMW would just say "did you clarify with your salesman if the car had that feature" and I would say "no, cos its a standard feature...I didn't clarify other standard features, ie windows!". They then tried to say that the brochures showed things that were only in certain countries....they didn't like it when we pointed out it was also on the UK website when speccing a UK car!

Took them a while to remove it from the website.

My salesman didn't even know - I phoned him up just before my car was delivered and he had to go out and try one...he thought it did, and was surprised it didn't.

Some people got about £300 compensation. Was a real c0ck up, because as we know, it was a technology that had been around a while.

My main moan was that because the ebrake has a delay, it was hard to get the biting point. When I got mine, I went to the steepest (quiet) hill I could find and just practiced moving off...after about 5 attempts I had it where I could pull off smoothly, not jerking etc.

Unfortunately I only had that car 2 years. Now I've got another!
2011 E89 sDrive20i

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Hill Climb on E brake

Post by ronk » Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:10 am

flybobbie wrote: Sat May 06, 2017 8:17 pm On a slope when you apply the foot brake the hill assist holds for a few seconds or until you start to move forward, so shuffling back and fourth not a problem.
My cars,
The 35is has an E brake and DCT (late 2016 car)
The 335 has Conventional hand brake and Torque converter transmission (June 2015 car )

Both cars act the same way on a hill, if I hold on the footbrake then release it, after about 3 secs the car rolls back - but that’s long enough to squeeze the throttle or if they were manual, lift the clutch.

So they act the same as yours flybobbie.
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup: