Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

BMW base sound system & adding a sub woofer

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
JimsZ

Post by JimsZ » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:35 am

Can any one tell me is it as simple as buy one and plug and play or is it more complicated than that...

Just want to try and beef up the oomph a bit if possible...

:D
E89/28i Msport gone :( .. Zx10r track bike gone… time for a KTM 350 exc-f and some green laning and dirt bike excursions…. Let’s see how this goes… : :evil:

Z4monster

Post by Z4monster » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:31 pm

On a previous Z4,I added a self powered subwoofer in the boot and modified the rear boot liner to hide into the empty space where the boot pass through would normally go. It worked great and I picked up the signal from the rear speaker channel. It was an In PhaseUSW10

The car has gone now but think I still have the sub in the garage somewhere.

goldbcfc

Post by goldbcfc » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:06 pm

I had loads of problems with mine as it had the subwoofers behind the seats too as standard. So that means it uses a bmw amp (look in boot next to battery). I had to have it all rewired to bypass the amp in the end. Another one it was just easier to change the headunit then add sub/amp. The other way is take a feed from rear speaker with those hi/low line converters like in post above. Just adding subwoofers in the empty tray behind if you don't have them really helps.

to access your boot if wiring to headunit. Pop the rear tray out feed wires though into boot that way. I paid the audio guy first time had a few z4's since so its an easy job to do myself now

Rusky

Post by Rusky » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:12 pm

I have a kicker sub in the boot dead easy to i stall and linked into the rear midrange. Gives plenty of oomph and depth to the standard install. :thumbsup:
3.0l Silver SMG, whippy and ginge fringe/ Sound gen mod/ Media bridge fitted (bluetooth and audio streaming) / Clear third break light/ Hard Top/ Eibachs springs and DLV back box/ Roof motor in the boot/ plus lots more.

JimsZ

Post by JimsZ » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:19 pm

Cheers guys, so many views and no posts I was begining to wonder :rofl:

Any pics or a how to would also be great... I know Im asking a lot :poke:

:thumbsup:
E89/28i Msport gone :( .. Zx10r track bike gone… time for a KTM 350 exc-f and some green laning and dirt bike excursions…. Let’s see how this goes… : :evil:

Rusky

Post by Rusky » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:44 am

The kicker sub i used has a simple wiring harness that taps into the midrange wires in the boot and connect to the battery. The speaker is removesble by unplugging the harness. Also comes with a wired bass remote control which sits above my ashtray. Can take some pics this evening if you want.
This is how it is wired.
the rear speaker wires you tap into are just behind the panel at the back in the boot, left rear are yellow/violet + yellow/gray - and right are blue/violet + blue/gray - then it's simply the positive and earth to the battery which it's handily in the boot too and the sub automatically detects sound in the speaker wires and turns the amp on and off automatically
3.0l Silver SMG, whippy and ginge fringe/ Sound gen mod/ Media bridge fitted (bluetooth and audio streaming) / Clear third break light/ Hard Top/ Eibachs springs and DLV back box/ Roof motor in the boot/ plus lots more.