Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Trolley Jack & Axel Stands E89

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
The Mustard Kid

Trolley Jack & Axel Stands E89

Post by The Mustard Kid » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:31 pm

Hi

Need to do some work on repainting the calipers and hubs on my E89 .....at the same time want to give the arches a good clean and the wheels as they will be off of the car.

does anyone have any pics of the correct jacking points under the car and where I should put the stands (I've seen pics of axel stands being used on the sills ????), only planning on having 1 wheel off at a time etc

Any help, hints or tips would be great

thanks
Sometimes Right, Sometimes Wrong, Always Certain
www.wessexcarclub.com

Mark-Z4

Re: Trolley Jack & Axel Stands E89

Post by Mark-Z4 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:15 am

You can see the jacking point under each sill. There is a tapered square block protruding down at each end of the sill. Will also show you in the owners manual.

Make sure you jack the car on flat a ground as possible, hand brake on. If your lifting a rear wheel you can always put a brick in front of the front wheel if there is a slight run on the area you have the car.

As for axle stand, I normally jack the car then place an axle stand under the wishbone of that wheel as a precaution just incase the jack gives way. I only do this as I've had a jack collapse on me before and my legs were under the car only a few mins before.
E86 - Space Grey | Grey Oregon Pearl Leather | Sport Interior | ///M Bumper | Aero Skirts | Piano Black Trim | ///M Wheel | Eibach Pro | CSL | HID | LED | ZHP | MM Tips | Stubby SOLD

Tricky Dicky

Post by Tricky Dicky » Sat May 09, 2015 7:59 am

Mark-Z4 wrote:You can see the jacking point under each sill. There is a tapered square block protruding down at each end of the sill. Will also show you in the owners manual.

Make sure you jack the car on flat a ground as possible, hand brake on. If your lifting a rear wheel you can always put a brick in front of the front wheel if there is a slight run on the area you have the car.

As for axle stand, I normally jack the car then place an axle stand under the wishbone of that wheel as a precaution just incase the jack gives way. I only do this as I've had a jack collapse on me before and my legs were under the car only a few mins before.
I want to remove the wheels on my E89 one by one , to thoroughly clean / detail all parts in the wheel arches and behind alloy ,also to day I pick up the adapter block to locate in the Jacking positions at each corner of the car to aid safe jacking of the car , is there a more substantial location to position the axle stands other than under the wishbones ,not sure if Mark Z4 is putting all weight on these or just resting in case jack collapsed , wishbones are delicate and are designed to take suspension /movement forces in certain directions , I don't think they are designed as axle stand supports , can some one advise me please on this, I hear lots of advice all of it a bit vague and slightly dodgy .i take the view a ferociously large repair bill is never far away . :thumbsup:
2013 E89 Z4 2.0L M Spec titanium silver,black leather,comfort pack, 19" 326 alloys ,I love this car. :driving:

metal licker
Lifer
Lifer

Post by metal licker » Sat May 09, 2015 9:48 am

I use the axle stand under the wishbone but only rest and don't remove the jack,but you will notice the other wheel on the same side of the car
will lift as well due to the rigidity of the body so be aware :)
718 4.0 GTS Boxster in YELLOW :driving:
718 Guards Red Boxster .........Gone!
A35 AMG saloon .........Gone!
JCW ...........Gone !
E89 35i Msport VO ................Gone !
E89 23i SE DSB ................Gone !

Hello to Jason Isaacs