Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Wheel corrosion causing pressure loss?

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion
paulgs1000
Lifer
Lifer

Wheel corrosion causing pressure loss?

Post by paulgs1000 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:36 pm

Had my new Goodyear Eagles fitted on the rears today. the fitter told me that the drivers side had corrosion on the inside of the wheel working to the bead of the tyre and that it might cause some pressure loss.

When I took a look I can see the corrosion clearly. I had the wheels off in the summer and gave them a good clean and they were in good condition then, my question is, could there have been a chemical reaction to something I've used to clean them (just Alloy Wheel cleaners) or is this just a common problem?

:driving: :thumbsup:
Now Porsche flat 6 experience, 986S & 981S.
2006 Z4MR Imola Red/Imola Red, 2008 3.0si Sport Stratus Grey/Piano black, 2006 2.0I Sport Silver Grey Facelift. MX5, TVR Chimaera, many motorbikes.

Swiftly
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Wheel corrosion causing pressure loss?

Post by Swiftly » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:30 pm

Doesn't sound good Paul if the wheels were good in the summer and they are now showing signs of corrosion in such a short period of time and it's not yet winter with the added road salt :o

Have you switched wheel cleaner products recently?

I only use acid free cleaning products on my wheels. If you have used a cleaner that uses acid it will damage the wheels paint coat. I also give my wheels regular coats of hard wax which helps protect the skin of the paint coat from foreign matter build-up. Also I avoid using abrasive polishes that might also damage the wheels coating.

I think having OCD helps me as my wheels never get a chance to get dirty or for any corrosion to start in the first place :oops:
Replacement, G29 Z4 M40i Lci in Alpine White :wub:
Gone G29 Z4 M40i in San Francisco Red
Gone F22 M240i auto coupe in Estoril Blue
Gone 2007 E85 3.0si Sport in Silver Grey,