Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Tyres?

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion
Eddy Matthews

Tyres?

Post by Eddy Matthews » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:30 pm

I'm new to my Z4, having only owned it for three weeks, but from what I've heard most people seem to change from runflats to normal tyres... for a few reasons, price, and handling seem to be the main ones - So a few questions for those that have done it....

1. Does it help with tramlining? Going over the central road markings certainly causes bad tramling on my car, but otherwise it handles fine.

2. Does it give a slightly softer ride than runflats?

3. What about the lack of a spare wheel - What do you use? Get a spare wheel if so where to fit it? Use an electric pump and some tyre "gunk" in case of a puncture?

My car is on 18" wheels (which I don't want to change!), so any help or advice would be appreciated...

I'm in no hurry as my tyres have plenty of life left in them and I don't beleive in just throwing money away for the sake of it, but I would like to know what to expect when the time comes to change tyres.

Regards
Eddy

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Tyres?

Post by mr wilks » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:55 pm

This a wind up ? :?
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Tyres?

Post by buzyg » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:19 pm

1. Yes

2. Yes

3. No, only place a spare will just about fit is the passenger seat. You will need. A jack, A wrench, a repair kit. see flea bay. and a compressor. Standard on the ///M. or you could use a can of gunk, but I have not tried that stuff myself. :thumbsup:

Oh and a Roadside rescue policy is also a life saver.

Ignor Mr Wilks, it's probably his hormones, he may be expecting a new Zed. :wink:

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Tyres?

Post by Mr Tidy » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:31 pm

mr wilks wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:55 pm This a wind up ? :?
Ooh mr w, isn't that a bit harsh for a newby who has only made 9 posts. :roll:

I've had an E86 for over 3 years on RFTs and still haven't reached a conclusion on the RFT/nonRFT dilemma - but I'll find out soon as I've just bought a set of wheels with winter non-RFTs!

OP plan A with non-RFTs is a tube of sealant (like Tyreweld, etc.) and a Compressor, with AA/RAC/etc. membership as plan B - I'll also have plan C with a 17 inch space-saver, jack and wheelbrace. :rofl:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Eddy Matthews

Tyres?

Post by Eddy Matthews » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:36 am

Thanks guys, very helpful... MrTidy and Buzyg - I should of thought or roadside assistance! Thanks for bring that to my attention!

Obviously MrWilks got up out of the wrong side of the bed yesterday! :(

I'd be interested in your immediate impressions of the difference when you do your switch to winter tyres MrTidy...

Regards
Eddy

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Tyres?

Post by Mr Tidy » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:23 pm

Eddy Matthews wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:36 am Thanks guys, very helpful... MrTidy and Buzyg - I should of thought or roadside assistance! Thanks for bring that to my attention!

Obviously MrWilks got up out of the wrong side of the bed yesterday! :(

I'd be interested in your immediate impressions of the difference when you do your switch to winter tyres MrTidy...

Regards
Eddy
Quick update - I haven't fitted the winters yet but it seems I have committed to non-RFTs as I bought some 224s fitted with non-RFTs today. (And a few weeks back I got some Holts Tyreweld half-price on special offer in Tescos and bought a compressor). :lol:

Almost wishing it would get cold now! :roll:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black