Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Who makes what tyre brands?

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion
Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:35 pm

We often read about some of the minority brands actually being made by the big players, the guy who runs a local tyre place pointed out that Falken are owned by Goodyear and often trial the next generation patterns and construction before being used in the Goodyears. This is an interesting summary courtesy of 'Tyre Reviews'

Michelin - France
Worlds number one tyre manufacturer. Own the brands Michelin, BF Goodrich, Kleber, Uniroyal* and Riken.

Bridgestone - Japan
One of the original big three. Own the brands Bridgestone, Firestone, Daytona and Europa.

Goodyear Dunlop - USA
Goodyear recently merged with Dunlop to form one of the largest tyre manufacturers in the world. Own the brands Dunlop, Goodyear, Fulda, Falken and Kelly.

Yokohama - Japanese
A brand in themselves, Yokohama claim to be the 7th biggest manufacturer in the world.

Pirelli - Italy
Pirelli claim to be the 5th largest tyre manufacturer in the world. Most of it's retail is through the Pirelli brand but have more recently released the Ceat and Courier brands.

Cooper Tyre - USA
Cooper recently bought the Avon brand. They now own Cooper, Avon and Mastercraft.

Continental - Germany
Owns Continental, Uniroyal*, General Tyre, Gislaved and Semperit.

Toyo - Japan
Toyo are one of the newer budget performance tyres to market. Formed many partnerships around the globe.

Kumho - Korea
Kumho is also a budget road tyre with a strong sporting range.

Apollo - India
Apollo now own Vredestein.
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:06 pm

Bit more info for you. Continental also own the largest UK retreading company. Bandvulc tyres. Based near Plymouth. Our son works there. :)

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Machine monkey » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:40 pm

Kumho are great tyres don’t care who makes them! I had fallkens they where good. But got new kumhos for s travj day and couldn’t believe how much more I could lean on the front end. I won’t be buying anything else.
My little blue zed is in lots of bits. With lots of things started and not many finished! I may have found the limits of my time and ability!!

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:46 pm

buzyg wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:06 pm Bit more info for you. Continental also own the largest UK retreading company. Bandvulc tyres. Based near Plymouth. Our son works there. :)
Are retreads still a thing? I remember my old MKII Cortina shedding strips of black retread tagliatelle on the motorway!

Um.... retreads on a Zed, now that would be a debate :D
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:10 pm

Machine monkey wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:40 pm Kumho are great tyres don’t care who makes them! I had fallkens they where good. But got new kumhos for s travj day and couldn’t believe how much more I could lean on the front end. I won’t be buying anything else.
After chasing Lynchy around France at great speed on his Kumhos id have to say they are more than capable of anything the Pirelli ,
Michelin , Goodyear , Vredestein & Continental that was among our group :driving: for a low cost they offer very decent performance
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Machine monkey » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:20 pm

mr wilks wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:10 pm
Machine monkey wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:40 pm Kumho are great tyres don’t care who makes them! I had fallkens they where good. But got new kumhos for s travj day and couldn’t believe how much more I could lean on the front end. I won’t be buying anything else.
After chasing Lynchy around France at great speed on his Kumhos id have to say they are more than capable of anything the Pirelli ,
Michelin , Goodyear , Vredestein & Continental that was among our group :driving: for a low cost they offer very decent performance
For there price they are amazing performance. And you don’t have to be a fanny about spinning up mskinging 11s or a bit of smoke with them either! You can actually enjoy every aspect of a RWD car with them!

You don’t have to drive your BMW like an Audi!! :rofl:
My little blue zed is in lots of bits. With lots of things started and not many finished! I may have found the limits of my time and ability!!

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:54 am

Machine monkey wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:20 pm
mr wilks wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:10 pm
For there price they are amazing performance. And you don’t have to be a fanny about spinning up mskinging 11s or a bit of smoke with them either! You can actually enjoy every aspect of a RWD car with them!

You don’t have to drive your BMW like an Audi!! :rofl:
:lol: :rofl: :rofl: :thumbsup:

Always used Kumhos on my Fiat Coupe 20vT Great tyres.
Yet to find anything I prefer over the MPSS on the MR though. :D

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ben g » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:05 pm

Whats the deal with Uniroyal being owned by both Michelin and Continental???
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:50 pm

ben g wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:05 pm Whats the deal with Uniroyal being owned by both Michelin and Continental???
* To add to confusion Uniroyal is Continental owned in Europe and Michelin owned in USA

:? :wink:

Jollyjoiner

Post by Jollyjoiner » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:16 pm

I'm another one thats got Kumho and have done a couple of track days on this set now and I can't fault them :thumbsup:
2009 35i DCT silver
SLT mapped to 365bhp :)

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Machine monkey » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:58 pm

Jollyjoiner wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:16 pm
I'm another one thats got Kumho and have done a couple of track days on this set now and I can't fault them :thumbsup:

They really are a good tyre not just for the money.

Jollyjoiner

Post by Jollyjoiner » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:57 am

Machine monkey wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:58 pm
Jollyjoiner wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:16 pm

They really are a good tyre not just for the money.
I agree, you can buy cheaper and more expensive tyres but these seem to tick all the boxes for longevity, grip and price
2009 35i DCT silver
SLT mapped to 365bhp :)

Angelus666

Post by Angelus666 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:38 pm

Have had Khumos on a few of my cars over the years (currently on the TTRS) and they're a good tyre for most of the time, but they are in no way close to the quality, grip and confidence the MPSS give you on a BMW M. The extra £200 for a set is money well spent IMO.

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:38 pm

buzyg wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:50 pm
ben g wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:05 pm Whats the deal with Uniroyal being owned by both Michelin and Continental???
* To add to confusion Uniroyal is Continental owned in Europe and Michelin owned in USA

:? :wink:
Apparently correct, it's not a list of who owns what brands It's about licencing and who makes and markets the tyres under that brand name in different markets. Continental (Germany) makes the Uniroyal tyres sold in Europe.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost