Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Arch rub

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion
Austin

Arch rub

Post by Austin » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:09 am

So I recently fitted some Eibach Pro springs to my car following both of my rear springs failing and I also added some 12mm Hubcentic spacers all the way round. I am loving the look and ride of the car, but..... I am noticing some arch rub when entering dips / bumps in the road.

I am running standard 224's, so is it to be expected to get rubbing with this setup, as I thought 12mm would be ok. Does anyone have any ideas of anything I should check or can amend to make this setup work as I really do like the stance. Failing that, what size spacers would people recommend and does anyone want to buy some 12mm spacers with extended bolts with just 40 miles on them! :headbang:
///MC - Bought to drive. Eventuri / Eibachs / Stubby added

Buckz

Arch rub

Post by Buckz » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:10 am

dunno how m coupe looks with 224's but on a non m I would not need any spacers as they fill the arches well enough.

I'd say either go 5 mil or stretch the tyre( I wouldn't do that unless you want stiffer sidewall)

Austin

Arch rub

Post by Austin » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:29 am

Buckz wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:10 am I'd say either go 5 mil or stretch the tyre( I wouldn't do that unless you want stiffer sidewall)
Thanks Buckz.
Would I get away with 5mm or am I still running the risk of arch rub? Anyone got experience of these being fitted with lowered springs? Not looking to go the stretch tyre route.

Buckz

Arch rub

Post by Buckz » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:07 pm

Austin wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:29 am
Buckz wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:10 am I'd say either go 5 mil or stretch the tyre( I wouldn't do that unless you want stiffer sidewall)
Thanks Buckz.
Would I get away with 5mm or am I still running the risk of arch rub? Anyone got experience of these being fitted with lowered springs? Not looking to go the stretch tyre route.
I'd say see how bad it rubs and where it rubs, you should be able to pinpoint the hitting point. That 7mm could make all the difference.

patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

Arch rub

Post by patriot66 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:05 pm

It's probably rubbing on the front wheel arch liners. Feel for a rough patch just inside the arch by the join between wing and front bumper on both sides. Mine only does it on high speed compression bumps and dips in the road. I'm running 18" MV3 alloys 8J/ET34 with 225/40 tyres on the front. :thumbsup:
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Arch rub

Post by mr wilks » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:43 pm

Buckz wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:07 pm
Austin wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:29 am
Thanks Buckz.
I'd say see how bad it rubs and where it rubs, you should be able to pinpoint the hitting point. That 7mm could make all the difference.
Id say losing 7mm will sort the problem but is it worth adding 5mm ? Id leave the 12mm on rear & go with no spacer on front . Accentuate the staggered look & unless you plan breaking any lap records doubt you will hamper your handling .
The rub often sounds far worse than it is & turning the wheel on lock will reveal exactly where its contacting

Here's my ZMR on Eibach's with 224s / fronts no spacers - rears 15mm :o

3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

Austin

Arch rub

Post by Austin » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:41 pm

[/quote]

Id say losing 7mm will sort the problem but is it worth adding 5mm ? Id leave the 12mm on rear & go with no spacer on front . Accentuate the staggered look & unless you plan breaking any lap records doubt you will hamper your handling .
The rub often sounds far worse than it is & turning the wheel on lock will reveal exactly where its contacting

Here's my ZMR on Eibach's with 224s / fronts no spacers - rears 15mm :o

[/quote]

Thanks Andy
I am not to concerned with lap times or precision handling so I will lose the front spacers and go from there.

Anyone after a set of 12mm hubsentric spacers + bolts 🙈