Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Swapping between two sets of wheels

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion
Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:23 pm

I swapped back to my style 32s a few weeks ago and immediately noticed a slight twitchiness at 70 – 75 mph. It was very subtle but was repeatable – it felt like the balancing was slightly out.

Before I swapped them out for the 224s in July the feel behind the wheel was solid at any speed with no hint of this twitchiness.
I checked the tyre pressures and they were as before and so the only variable I could think of was that I’d put the front tyres on different sides.

Working on the possibility that this could have affected the balance or tracking, I swapped the front tyres around and went for a test drive this afternoon and guess what, the twitchiness has gone and the car feels as smooth and planted through the steering as it did before.
Does this make sense?

This may be a dumb question but is it important when swapping back to a set of wheels that fronts go back on the same side they came off?
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

kis
Lifer
Lifer

Post by kis » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:38 pm

Must be, not that I'd really thought about it before. The set up front and back is different even if you have a square wheel set up. We know for example that the rear has more camber... So will wear different to fronts.

What I was initially thinking when reading was tyre pressures. But obviously not!

I'm glad most of the wheels I have are staggered! But the ones that aren't I'll specifically mark them as 'fronts' or 'rears' on the inside wall when the come off!!
My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

BMW Family History (past and present):
1 Series - E87
3 Series - E46 Coupe, E46 M3, E90 (x3)
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
7 Series - E32
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71

philbo909

Post by philbo909 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:58 pm

Marlon wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:23 pm I swapped back to my style 32s a few weeks ago and immediately noticed a slight twitchiness at 70 – 75 mph. It was very subtle but was repeatable – it felt like the balancing was slightly out.

Before I swapped them out for the 224s in July the feel behind the wheel was solid at any speed with no hint of this twitchiness.
I checked the tyre pressures and they were as before and so the only variable I could think of was that I’d put the front tyres on different sides.

Working on the possibility that this could have affected the balance or tracking, I swapped the front tyres around and went for a test drive this afternoon and guess what, the twitchiness has gone and the car feels as smooth and planted through the steering as it did before.
Does this make sense?

This maybe a dumb question but is it important when swapping back to a set of wheels that fronts go back on the same side they came off?
is the tread pattern on your tyres handed? my Asymmetric tyres are marked "this side out", having them the wrong way would explain why steering felt different maybe?
Sapphire black z4 coupe 135,000miles young

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:06 pm

How many miles had you done with the tyres on the style 32s before you swapped them off Colin ? The tread can bed in to a certain side after a few thousand miles then feel odd if switched to the other side .
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:49 pm

mr wilks wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:06 pm How many miles had you done with the tyres on the style 32s before you swapped them off Colin ? The tread can bed in to a certain side after a few thousand miles then feel odd if switched to the other side .
Quite a few Andy, at least 5k miles - interesting.
911 997 Carrera S

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:53 pm

philbo909 wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:58 pm
Marlon wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:23 pm I swapped back to my style 32s a few weeks ago and immediately noticed a slight twitchiness at 70 – 75 mph. It was very subtle but was repeatable – it felt like the balancing was slightly out.

Does this make sense?

This maybe a dumb question but is it important when swapping back to a set of wheels that fronts go back on the same side they came off?
is the tread pattern on your tyres handed? my Asymmetric tyres are marked "this side out", having them the wrong way would explain why steering felt different maybe?
Not sure I understand this - wouldn't 'this side out' apply to either side?
911 997 Carrera S

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:57 pm

At least not as bad as PerryGunn swapping the rears with the fronts :whistle:
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:57 pm

Marlon wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:49 pm
mr wilks wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:06 pm How many miles had you done with the tyres on the style 32s before you swapped them off Colin ? The tread can bed in to a certain side after a few thousand miles then feel odd if switched to the other side .

We all know the Se Si 85s 86s are susceptible to steering feel / issues , it wouldn't take much for one tyre to be "off" & feel it at speed & especially noticeable when switching between sets . occasionally in the past ive had sets i know for fact are true & balanced with zero twitch at speed yet sell them on & on another car might feel "off" through the steering wheel .
Imo the more you chop & change wheels + tyres the more you get a feel for when your car is "right"
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:04 pm

Marlon wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:53 pm

Does this make sense?

If they are rotational then swapping from left to right will reverse the rotation even though the “outside” markings will be correct :?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:05 pm

Smartbear wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:04 pm
Marlon wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:53 pm

If they are rotational then swapping from left to right will reverse the rotation even though the “outside” markings will be correct :?
Rob
erm . . thanks Rob . . . :scratchhead:
911 997 Carrera S

Havard

Post by Havard » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:06 pm

I had this with the M after have the wheels refurbed. The fronts had been put back on the opposite side. Car pulled heavily to the left on the motorway and under heavy breaking was a death trap.

Went to my tyre fitted and explained the problem and he swapped the fronts around. When I asked him why it made a difference he said.

If the tyre is halfway through its life they wear a certain way and every car is different, even the same model. He said, imagine going for a walk in a pair of someone else's shoes....

Car has been perfect since...btw.

H.
ImageImage

patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

Post by patriot66 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:16 pm

I always mark my wheels NSF, NSR, OSF, OSR with a paint pen on the reverse side of one the spokes and always refit each wheel in its 'correct' position if I've removed them for whatever reason. :thumbsup:
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:30 pm

Marlon wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:05 pm
Rob
[/quote]

What he means is the "Outside" markings refer to which way the tyre is put onto the rim.

The "directional" markings relate to which way the tyre is designed to rotate when the car moves.

So if they are directional the one with a clockwise pointing arrow needs to go on the driver's side, and the one pointing anti-clockwise needs to go on the passenger side.

I hope that makes sense. :thumbsup:

And yes, I found out the first time I used directional winters and had already fitted one to the wrong side (although I had got 2 right by accident)! :oops:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

markeg
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markeg » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:25 pm

Marlon wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:49 pm
^^ This. Rotating tyres across the axle every 1000 miles or so helps get an even wear pattern, but can get "tiresome" (pun intended). When I take summers off and put winters on, I label the tyre to show which side it came off, otherwise you get twitchiness - I've also found on my "shed" which has a square setup, when putting the winters back on incorrectly it set up a noticeable vibration around 70mph
previous: Alpina Roadster S, #108: gone
current: MB C-class
"veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck around..."

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:40 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:30 pm
Marlon wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:05 pm
Smartbear wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:04 pm
Rob
What he means is the "Outside" markings refer to which way the tyre is put onto the rim.

The "directional" markings relate to which way the tyre is designed to rotate when the car moves.

So if they are directional the one with a clockwise pointing arrow needs to go on the driver's side, and the one pointing anti-clockwise needs to go on the passenger side.

I hope that makes sense. :thumbsup:

And yes, I found out the first time I used directional winters and had already fitted one to the wrong side (although I had got 2 right by accident)! :oops:
Understood, thanks :thumbsup:
911 997 Carrera S