Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Rear tyres wear quicker than fronts?

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion
johnbmwboy

Re: Rear tyres wear quicker than fronts?

Post by johnbmwboy » Thu May 05, 2011 5:30 pm

Great info people, thanks!

I'll get out there and swap them over later.

Cheers,
John

Aebous
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Aebous » Fri May 06, 2011 1:37 am

nicko wrote:
powerontap wrote:Pressing the DSC once disables traction control only, not the stability control.
Is your manual different to mine?
Pressing DSC button once enables DTC
DTC is traction control

you can have
DSC (traction control and stability control)
or
DSC+DTC (more traction control and less stability control)
or
nothing [DSC off] (no traction control and no stability control)

Close, with no lights illuminated that means both DTC & DSC are both fully activated. When you press the button once it disables DTC but leaves DSC on, allowing you to spin the rear tires, but if your back end starts slipping too far out compared to the front wheel angle the DSC will cut power to the rear wheels. As you said at the end, if you hold down the button you get the pretty yellow light showing a triangle with an arrow going around it to let you know, hey your on your own and the car can and will spin all the way around in a circle if you allow it too.
'03 Z4 3.0i manual transmission w/ sports package, interior xenons, wind deflector, Michelin Sport PS3's, cheap big brake upgrade, headlights with black internals and clear lenses, Alutech braces inc horizontal strut bar.
ZEEEE 4

powerontap

Post by powerontap » Fri May 06, 2011 1:52 am

Aebous wrote:
nicko wrote:
powerontap wrote:Pressing the DSC once disables traction control only, not the stability control.
Is your manual different to mine?
Pressing DSC button once enables DTC
DTC is traction control

you can have
DSC (traction control and stability control)
or
DSC+DTC (more traction control and less stability control)
or
nothing [DSC off] (no traction control and no stability control)

Close, with no lights illuminated that means both DTC & DSC are both fully activated. When you press the button once it disables DTC but leaves DSC on, allowing you to spin the rear tires, but if your back end starts slipping too far out compared to the front wheel angle the DSC will cut power to the rear wheels. As you said at the end, if you hold down the button you get the pretty yellow light showing a triangle with an arrow going around it to let you know, hey your on your own and the car can and will spin all the way around in a circle if you allow it too.
Exactly what I was refering to in my 1st intervention. I spent last summer with DTC off (just for fun) and wore down 75% of the center section of my F1 Asymmetrics...in 5,000 miles :evil:
Go Topless

nicko

Post by nicko » Fri May 06, 2011 8:21 am

Aebous wrote:Close, with no lights illuminated that means both DTC & DSC are both fully activated.
This is where we disagree.
no lights illuminated means DSC is on, DTC is off
my Manual wrote: Activating DTC
briefly press the button; the DTC telltale light in the instrument cluster comes on

As a check
The [DTC] telltale is lit continuously: DTC is activated

Deactivating DTC
Press the button again; the DTC telltale light in the instrument cluster goes out.
That's what my manual says. Is yours different?
56 Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport, Montego Blue, Champagne Leather, 135Ms, ZHP

Aebous
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Aebous » Fri May 06, 2011 12:45 pm

Ok, if you think DTC is off when no lights are on, then try to spin the rear tires. The car won't allow it, thus DTC is on. When DTC is illuminated that in itself is a warning to the driver that you can spin the rear tires and as such you need to pay more attention to your throttle control. The manual is misleading for this. Actually I think all manuals are misleading with how they word it, my Dad had the same confusion about his car. So on a wet day we went out and tested it. With no lights illuminated the tires would spin maybe a tenth of a second and the car would cut the power to the wheels, with the light on the tires would spin much much more.

On a side note, the DTC set up might be different on UK cars, but I don't think it is.
'03 Z4 3.0i manual transmission w/ sports package, interior xenons, wind deflector, Michelin Sport PS3's, cheap big brake upgrade, headlights with black internals and clear lenses, Alutech braces inc horizontal strut bar.
ZEEEE 4

gannet
Lifer
Lifer

Post by gannet » Fri May 06, 2011 12:51 pm

no lights = all nanny systems active including DTC and DSC
-- Gannet.
Current: MINI JCW... - Modification: Driver Upgraded :D
Previous: DS3 DSport, Z4 3.0SE, 206 GTi & XS, Alfa 147 Lusso

nicko

Post by nicko » Fri May 06, 2011 1:29 pm

Aebous wrote:Ok, if you think DTC is off when no lights are on, then try to spin the rear tires. The car won't allow it, thus DTC is on.
When no lights are on you still have traction control (one of the main functions of DSC), just not Dynamic Traction Control.
So far, I've only turned DTC on (had the DTC light on) in the snow, and found it aided traction.

edit:
Do you think that with the DTC light on you have stability control but no traction control?

DrNick

Post by DrNick » Fri May 06, 2011 2:03 pm

Do you think that with the DTC light on you have stability control but no traction control?
Yes
2007 Carbon Black 2.0 Sport + comfort pack + bluetooth - Loved and not forgotten!
2012 E89 Space Grey M Sport 2.0 Auto - need to update signature!

nicko

Post by nicko » Fri May 06, 2011 2:54 pm

Well I can only go by my experience in my car.
My car appears to work the way the manual says it should.

I doubt I would have got off my drive in the snow if DTC light on meant no traction control.

I've just been out to the shops and on the way back had a little play up a quiet road.
Uphill straight ahead, standing starts on dry tarmac

DSC on - DTC light off - no wheelspin
DSC on - DTC light on - no wheelspin
DSC off - DTC light off - wheelspin

If it's different for you, then, well, the cars are behaving differently... :?

edit:
I'll try to remember to have another go when it rains
Last edited by nicko on Fri May 06, 2011 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

un1eash

Post by un1eash » Fri May 06, 2011 2:55 pm

Aebous wrote:
What he said, you dont turn DTC/DSC on (unless already off) you only turn them off. By default everything is on with no lights on the dash.

In the snow your meant to press the button once and turn DTC off as the car is useless otherwise and will keep just cutting power to the wheels and you wont get anywhere.

nicko

Post by nicko » Tue May 10, 2011 11:48 am

from http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpost. ... stcount=15

with DTC on, DSC has changed thresholds to allow you some wheelspin and less stability before it "saves" you

AlanJ
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AlanJ » Tue May 10, 2011 1:39 pm

TO//M wrote:If you have 4mm tread depth in the middle of the tire I'll bet you don't have anything near that on the inside edge. The negative camber of the rear suspension wears the tires at a very uneven rate.
Agree - wear characteristics are different front to rear an would certainly advise against changing them round. Might seem like a cost effective option BUT the only contact you car has with the road is through the footprint of each tyre which if maintained at the correct presures will give the maximum possible tread footprint for each corner and wear the tyre accordingly.
///M tri colour steering wheel, mud flaps and loads of other extras! ZHP illuminated gear lever..... Pre Purchase Checks,Getting the Best out of Dealers http://www.bmwz4roadster.net

Aebous
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Aebous » Wed May 11, 2011 1:47 am

nicko wrote: from http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpost. ... stcount=15

with DTC on, DSC has changed thresholds to allow you some wheelspin and less stability before it "saves" you

Yeah looking through that thread and seeing some good explanations above the picture it seems we were partially misunderstanding what DTC being illuminated meant. At any rate, keep in mind yellow lights on = wheels can spin.
ZEEEE 4

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:21 pm

AlanJ wrote:
TO//M wrote:If you have 4mm tread depth in the middle of the tire I'll bet you don't have anything near that on the inside edge. The negative camber of the rear suspension wears the tires at a very uneven rate.
Agree - wear characteristics are different front to rear an would certainly advise against changing them round. Might seem like a cost effective option BUT the only contact you car has with the road is through the footprint of each tyre which if maintained at the correct presures will give the maximum possible tread footprint for each corner and wear the tyre accordingly.
I had been keeping an eye on my rear tyres down to around 4mm ( so I thought ) Today I removed the wheel to give them and the arches a good clean. I was horrified to see the inside of the rear tyres were , basically bald, Im putting it down to negative camber , however I will get it checked when the new tyres are fitted .
2.5 Maldives Blue, tottaly original , no mods,

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:36 pm

Yup, I always have to remind myself not just to check the tread depth gauge built into the tyre on the outside, but reach all the way over the top to feel the other side. Often results in two sets of horrified feelings - first when you realise how loosely you've been attached to the road, and then secondly when you go online to buy a new set and see the price... Cheaper than a new car though :wink:
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...