Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Is it best to get winter tyres or used smaller alloys?

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion
mark my words

Is it best to get winter tyres or used smaller alloys?

Post by mark my words » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:40 pm

Hi
I have the usual 108's with good condition 18 runflats on and im getting organised for the inevitable snow fall later this year and wondered if im best getting Vredstein winter tyres or buying a smaller set of rims, whats the general consensus please??

p4cks

Re: Is it best to get winter tyres or used smaller alloys?

Post by p4cks » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:43 pm

I've found it cheaper to buy a Winter shed than replace tyres/wheels etc. Whatever you put on the Z, it still won't be as good as a front wheel drive Micra/Cinquecento with skinny front tyres.

Just my 2p

richtea78

Post by richtea78 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:08 pm

Im currently looking for a cheap Suzuki SJ, should be able to get one with enough MOT to last the winter for less than the price of a set of winter tires and wheels

PawnSacrifice
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PawnSacrifice » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:29 pm

mark my words, get a smaller set of alloys with winter tyres - if you can get 16" wheels (ie not the 3.0Si brakes) then you should be able to get a set cheap on eBay + the tyres will be cheaper. You also have the advantage that you save the cost of the smaller wheels quite quickly against the cost of getting the winter / summer tyres swapped twice a year. Also, you'll save exposing the delicate 108s to the snow / salt / potholes of winter driving.

p4cks, don't agree with that at all. It costs you the set of smaller wheels which you don't have to tax, MOT and insure - the tyres, you have two sets but you only use one at a time. Also, a Z4 on winter tyres is so much better than a FWD car on skinny standard tyres, I passed enough of them last winter, they weren't this good...

IMO, if you have the space a set of winter wheels FTW... even if I used a second car I'd want winters on them - so much safer.
2003 2.5i. Info: Winter Tyres | PDF Manuals, Retrofit Instructions and Links | Modifications | YouTube | #Project924

Hey, wet-pants! This isn't the Womens Auxiliary Balloon Corps.

bat1959

Post by bat1959 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:19 am

PawnSacrifice wrote:mark my words, get a smaller set of alloys with winter tyres - if you can get 16" wheels (ie not the 3.0Si brakes) then you should be able to get a set cheap on eBay + the tyres will be cheaper. You also have the advantage that you save the cost of the smaller wheels quite quickly against the cost of getting the winter / summer tyres swapped twice a year. Also, you'll save exposing the delicate 108s to the snow / salt / potholes of winter driving.

p4cks, don't agree with that at all. It costs you the set of smaller wheels which you don't have to tax, MOT and insure - the tyres, you have two sets but you only use one at a time. Also, a Z4 on winter tyres is so much better than a FWD car on skinny standard tyres, I passed enough of them last winter, they weren't this good...

IMO, if you have the space a set of winter wheels FTW... even if I used a second car I'd want winters on them - so much safer.

I totally agree.
2004 3.0i SE, My MOD's: Gaptech remote/one touch, MFSW, Cruise, brake light ring mod, OEM strut brace (black), OEM MP3 capable head unit & Stubby.

m44rrt

Post by m44rrt » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:27 am

my winter wheels (no tyres) are still up for grabs
see FS section

JOE90

Post by JOE90 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:32 am

Maybe I'm missing some thing , but what is all the fuss about winter wheels / tyres , I don't get it ...

What's wrong with alpina rims and vreds rubber all year round

T1berious

Post by T1berious » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:27 pm

I'm getting a set of 17"s and vred winters for the E92, Z4 will be off until the sun comes back out.

I can't see how getting a cheap car with skinny wheels works out cheaper than getting a set of winter rims and boots. As stated earlier you've got to insure it etc. the boots you buy once, you might get 3 years out of them and there's no ongoing annual costs.

Winter rims 4TW :driving: I refuse to have another winter like last winter. We were reduced to walking everywhere and the bus :thumbsdown:
Current
718 Cayman GTS 4.0, Kia EV6 GT line S

F87 M2C ,F82 440i, E85 Z4MR, E92 330i All Gone!

bat1959

Post by bat1959 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:14 pm

I have a set of 16" TSW Spa wheels (imaculate) for a Z4 going spare, if anyone is interested.
P.S. Without tyres.
2004 3.0i SE, My MOD's: Gaptech remote/one touch, MFSW, Cruise, brake light ring mod, OEM strut brace (black), OEM MP3 capable head unit & Stubby.

Hark

Post by Hark » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:41 pm

JOE90 wrote:Maybe I'm missing some thing , but what is all the fuss about winter wheels / tyres , I don't get it ...

What's wrong with alpina rims and vreds rubber all year round
Is your's a daily?

Mine was useless in the snow on the OEM M3 contis. Winter tyres and it went everywhere. The winter tyres were WAY better even when it was just cold or damp. Massive increase in traction. I didn't believe any of the hype till I bought them, but I'm fitting them to the wife's Rover as well.

I know people say 'What's the point?' and you can make do without. But I could drive without traction control, ABS, airbags and drum brakes all round. But they make a better car.

If they offered an optional extra from the factory for less than £500 that massively increased the grip you had for half a year then everyone would take it, but because you have to spend your own hard earned and it's a pain to swap, people don't bother.

CHEAP HIGH SPEC 2007 Z4M for Sale http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2918727.htm

a11y
Lifer
Lifer

Post by a11y » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:17 pm

Depends where in the UK you live, but for me winter tyres are a complete no-brainer given the average temps for Nov-Mar and the chance of serious snowfall.

To summarise without going into massive detail:
- winter tyres are a different rubber compound that works better than "summer" tyres below 7degC
- smaller wheels, i.e. bigger sidewalls, is great when the roads become more pothole than tarmac - less risk of cracking/damaging a bigger alloy
- bigger sidewalls means more protection if you DO slide and clip a kerb (for example)
- having older/crappy winter wheels means you don't have to worry as much about possible salt damage/corrosion

A RWD car with winter tyres will out-perform a 4WD car with summer tyres, let along a FWD. evo magazine had an awesome video on their website of a Jag XFR on winter rubber vs a Mitsubishi Evo X on summer rubber, around Bedford. The Jag annailated the evo...

Lap times:
Jag XFR normal tyres = 2m35s
Jag XFR winter tyres = 2m04s
Evo X normal tyres = 2m35s

Braking 60-0mph (and this is the scariest bit):
Jag XFR normal tyres = 239m in 18.5s
Jag XFR winter tyres = 101m in 7.8s

http://www.evo.co.uk/news/evonews/24852 ... ested.html (vid's gone but the article's still there)
::::: e90 330i M Sport :::::

PawnSacrifice
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PawnSacrifice » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:54 pm

a11y, nice article that one, like you say, the braking is the scary stat! It's a shame there isn't a test at low temperatures, sure there would be a decent difference there too.

It is odd, given the lambasting that some get when they mention running different tyres front and rear, which the manufacturers will accept, that winter tyres is met with indifference by many. The other thing to remember, even without the snow on the ground the winters are a lot better than standard tyres. Also, while people will argue they wouldn't go out in the snow does that mean they'd abandon their pride and joy when the flakes fall? The only downside to winter tyres, IMO, is people that don't have them.

The other advantage to add to A11y's list, gives me a chance to get a couple of my summer wheels refurbed :oops:
2003 2.5i. Info: Winter Tyres | PDF Manuals, Retrofit Instructions and Links | Modifications | YouTube | #Project924

Hey, wet-pants! This isn't the Womens Auxiliary Balloon Corps.

Hark

Post by Hark » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:57 pm

Just picked up some spare steel wheels for the wife's Rover to fit some winter to. Four wheels with three summer tyres fitted at the mo. £26 collected.

Wish things for the M were so cheap. lol

CHEAP HIGH SPEC 2007 Z4M for Sale http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2918727.htm

Blue

Post by Blue » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:11 pm

p4cks wrote:I've found it cheaper to buy a Winter shed than replace tyres/wheels etc. Whatever you put on the Z, it still won't be as good as a front wheel drive Micra/Cinquecento with skinny front tyres.

Just my 2p
I'd disagree to be honest, my Z4 was one of the only cars not to need a push just to get moving in our works car park last year, Micras, Fiestas, Clios, all of them stuck fast.

By the time you've bought a £500 car, insured it, and taxed it you're really well out of pocket compared to winter wheels for the Z4, and it STILL won't move as effectively as a car on winters.

I will probably have a set of 103s with Vred winters on for sale soon :)

the gill

Post by the gill » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:20 pm

I'm looking to buy some spare alloys for my Coupe. Toying with the idea of sticking with 18s as the cost of winter 18s with tyres is not a lot more expensive than equivalent 17s and I think the 18s look much better on the car than the standard 17s I've seen on the SE model.
Main question is what would be the best alloy size for a 225/40 tyre. Would it be a 18x8 or 18x8.5 or are they fine on both sizes.
The reason I ask is that the 255/35 tyres are bloody expensive so will probably stick to 225/40 all around.
Cheers
08 Z4C