Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Is it best to get winter tyres or used smaller alloys?

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion
Gremlin500

Re: Is it best to get winter tyres or used smaller alloys?

Post by Gremlin500 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:42 pm

As everyone here has said, it's a no-brainer, get Winter tyres. Those who advise otherwise have never tried them.
Never mind lap times etc., with my 3 series it made a real difference the last 2 years of being able to get out of my estate to work and back, up and down 2 pretty gentle inclines which made a mockery of anything RWD. I sold my 16" Vredesteins for £200 after defecting to Audi (FWD) for my daily drive (Boo, hiss! I hear) so got most of my money back as the price of winter tyres by then had shot up alarmingly.

It's not just ice and snow, even in the wet they grip and stop way better than summer rubber, the only downside is a "floaty" sensation and a more comfortable ride :o -you can't throw the car around on these or you'll be in trouble, handling is more pedestrian. Not sure if you can get RFT versions, but someone on here will know?

Also the benefit as already said of saving mileage/damage on your summer tyres/wheels, even if you're unlucky enough to slide into a kerb the higher aspect ratio might just let you off lightly.

dgm

Post by dgm » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:17 pm

I'm not recognising the floaty sensation or being unable to throw the car around that Gremlin500 is talking about. With 19" Vredestein Wintrac Xtreme's on my car I find the handling and traction to be very good until the temperatures start rising again approaching spring when they become a bit skittish. Equally if you put them on too early in the year you'll find them a bit lacking until the temperatures drop sufficiently.

They aren't ultimately as good as summer tyres when the road conditions and temperatures in the winter are good but they aren't at all bad. My car's been thrown about quite a bit over the last couple of winters and has handled it impressively with these tyres on. Also don't get hung up on the winter tyre size recommendations in the handbook, if winters in 265/30/19 and 235/35/19 work in the conditions we had here last year then so will other combinations in standard tyre sizes.

To answer the original question, there's no competition between winter tyres and smaller alloys/tyres. The same applies to small cars with thin tyres and anyone who thinks otherwise hasn't used winters.
06 Z4MC, Sapphire black, Aero sideskirts, BMW strutbrace, CSL's, Remus back boxes, Intravee and Alpine DAB

oli445

Post by oli445 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:35 am

Been looking into buying a set of 17's to put winter tyres on as it seems to make a lot of sense! My 3.0 is on eibachs and I find it really low with my standard 18's -anybody know if going with 225 50 17's will do any harm rather than the standard size of 225 45 17's as I think ground clearance is going to be an issue in snow?

Cheers

mark my words

Post by mark my words » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:19 am

Ok im up for winter tyres, my current rears have 255 35 18 RFt - when i Look for new does it matter if they are still 35 or can i get any number/size?

a11y
Lifer
Lifer

Post by a11y » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:20 am

oli445 wrote:Been looking into buying a set of 17's to put winter tyres on as it seems to make a lot of sense! My 3.0 is on eibachs and I find it really low with my standard 18's -anybody know if going with 225 50 17's will do any harm rather than the standard size of 225 45 17's as I think ground clearance is going to be an issue in snow?

Cheers
Ground clearance in snow is an issue in the Z4 regardless of wheel size. 225/45/17 is almost exactly the same diameter as 225/40/18 or 255/35/18, so changing to 225/45/17 won't change the ride height.

I'm on Eibachs too and run 225/40/18 & 255/35/18 in summer, but my winters are 225/50/16 which is approx 3mm smaller diameter overall, so I'm fractionally closer to the ground during winter (but not enough to worry about - just think what happens when your tread wears down).
::::: e90 330i M Sport :::::