Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Winter Tyre Information - info / threads / posts / vids

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion
a11y
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Winter Tyre Information - info / threads / posts / vids

Post by a11y » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:48 am

PawnSacrifice wrote:Ouch, that's a hard lesson... hopefully they weren't giving it the big one about having winter tyres before they went out.

Glad I've got mine on now, some days are a little warm, but mostly under the 7°, although to be fair it's only at speed that they seem a little floaty and that's at over 10°.
Nah, no big talk beforehand! But I know exactly what you mean. Very hard lesson although to be fair to them they DID buy 4 winter tyres but had issues with one deflating, hence they'd refitted 2 summers on the rear while the deflating issue was sorted.

The temp hasn't been above 5degC her since I fitted mine - looks like I picked exactly the right moment to swap onto the winters, it even snowed the day immediately after I fitted them.
::::: e90 330i M Sport :::::

PawnSacrifice
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PawnSacrifice » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:00 am

a11y wrote: The temp hasn't been above 5degC her since I fitted mine - looks like I picked exactly the right moment to swap onto the winters, it even snowed the day immediately after I fitted them.
After the fun of last year I am actually now willing it to snow!
2003 2.5i. Info: Winter Tyres | PDF Manuals, Retrofit Instructions and Links | Modifications | YouTube | #Project924

Hey, wet-pants! This isn't the Womens Auxiliary Balloon Corps.

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:58 am

Still NO frost yet this year here on the Somerset coast, but I'll be fitting the winters on the family tiddler Citroen C1 this weekend just in case. But Zebedee won't be seeing the snow :)
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

a11y
Lifer
Lifer

Post by a11y » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:43 am

PawnSacrifice wrote:
a11y wrote: The temp hasn't been above 5degC her since I fitted mine - looks like I picked exactly the right moment to swap onto the winters, it even snowed the day immediately after I fitted them.
After the fun of last year I am actually now willing it to snow!
Part of me says "me too!". I have another early start on Christmas Day due to the wife's work and am hoping for a repeat of last year: find myself a nice deserted snow-covered carpark at 8am on Christmas Day for a bit of fun...

RichardG

Post by RichardG » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:34 pm

a11y wrote:[Part of me says "me too!". I have another early start on Christmas Day due to the wife's work and am hoping for a repeat of last year: find myself a nice deserted snow-covered carpark at 8am on Christmas Day for a bit of fun...
Yob! :poke:
04 2.5 SE, Alpine iDA X-305, Eibach's, M Tri-Colour MFSW, CF Roundells, LeatherZ Armrest, De-Gingered, 19" VMR V710's, Aero Skirts, Fr & R M Bumpers, Quad Exhaust and NO Stubby

a11y
Lifer
Lifer

Post by a11y » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:56 pm

RichardG wrote:
a11y wrote:[Part of me says "me too!". I have another early start on Christmas Day due to the wife's work and am hoping for a repeat of last year: find myself a nice deserted snow-covered carpark at 8am on Christmas Day for a bit of fun...
Gaining experience! :poke:

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:45 pm

a11y wrote:
RichardG wrote:
Gaining experience! :poke:
I'm very jealous :(

We had snow here today, but it didn't lie and now is all gone. It's unlikely we'll have snow here on Christmas Day, which is a real shame - my car will have all it's presents fitted before lunch, and then I'll have to go and test them... Though of course none of them are performance mods :)

On the plus side, the sky is now empty of cloud and a lovely winter blue, so the top will be going down when I nip out in half an hour to pick up the wide from the station :thumbsup:
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

RickH

Post by RickH » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:17 pm

top down in the dark?
E85 Z4 2.0l Sapphire Black Sport Roadster
Done:- Cruise, Cup Holders, Wind Deflector, Storage Net :)
Want:- OTH+R, Dice

RichardG

Post by RichardG » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:04 pm

Bing wrote: so the top will be going down when I nip out in half an hour to pick up the wide from the station :thumbsup:
I take it you don't call your significant other this to her face? :poke:
04 2.5 SE, Alpine iDA X-305, Eibach's, M Tri-Colour MFSW, CF Roundells, LeatherZ Armrest, De-Gingered, 19" VMR V710's, Aero Skirts, Fr & R M Bumpers, Quad Exhaust and NO Stubby

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:48 pm

RichardG wrote:
Bing wrote: so the top will be going down when I nip out in half an hour to pick up the wide from the station :thumbsup:
I take it you don't call your significant other this to her face? :poke:
:rofl: Darn iPad keyboard... As it happens I don't, she's five feet tall and a size 8 :D

As for night-time top-down driving RickH - give it a go, it's ace, especially on a clear starry night. However it's not quite dark at 1530 down here, more dusk.
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

a11y
Lifer
Lifer

Post by a11y » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:54 pm

Bing wrote:As for night-time top-down driving RickH - give it a go, it's ace, especially on a clear starry night.
+1000. If anyone's not tried top-down driving in the dark, you really must - it's great, especially on clear nights.

(added bonus is nobody can see you've got the top down so minimises the yells of "nob" from the great unwashed)

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by sp3ctre » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:56 pm

a11y wrote:
Bing wrote:As for night-time top-down driving RickH - give it a go, it's ace, especially on a clear starry night.
+1000. If anyone's not tried top-down driving in the dark, you really must - it's great, especially on clear nights.

(added bonus is nobody can see you've got the top down so minimises the yells of "nob" from the great unwashed)
... try and steer clear of the gritter lorries though, the ones round here seem to shoot the grit out at head hight!!!
If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme

teamemmenracing

Post by teamemmenracing » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:18 pm

this is what winter tires are for .........
you have grip to go and stop in conditions like this.
Here in Norway they dont salt the roads, just go up and down now and again with a snow plough. Fair enough Im in a 4 wheel drive, but the others are not and just 5 mins before this I saw a 3.0 Z4 (roadster of course) zipping past ............

"........it seemed like a good idea at the time yer honour ......"

BMW Z4 - A Big Red One

Adamski
Lifer
Lifer

Winter Tyre Information - info / threads / posts / vids

Post by Adamski » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:44 pm

I gambled and didn't buy winter tyres this year ;)

Touch wood - it's paid off so far :lol:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gone: Z4M Coupé|Black Sapphire|OEM CSLs|Aero Skirts|OEM Strut Brace|Nav|Heated Seats|Logic 7 Pro Hi-fi|Bluetooth|Carbon Leather|PDC|BMW Assist|Stubby
Gone: Cherished 2003 3.0i Black Sapphire Roadster

teamemmenracing

Post by teamemmenracing » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:36 pm

Here's another one ...............

"........it seemed like a good idea at the time yer honour ......"

BMW Z4 - A Big Red One