Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

rims

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion
ozz4

Re: rims

Post by ozz4 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:38 pm

A positve post ...alas from the darkside "bimmerforum"
I thought I would share in case others are looking one day.

"I have fitted 20's to my M Coupe. If I remember correctly the offset on the front was 40 and I think 28 on the rear. Running 285/25's on the rear and 245/35's in the front. I am running Fox RS III's ... A copy of a Hamman wheel.
I live on a farm and was concerned that the ride was going to be shithouse. It took the installation of some slightly oversized Teflon hub centric rings to get it sorted, but the ride is actually a whole lot better than I expected. I am very happy with the results.

These offsets actually make sense when you think about it.

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:42 pm

ozz4 wrote:Maybe I have been had....CSL' are what are in your sig
JDM wrote:BMW didnt do an 18" CSL wheel upgrade on the Zed. All genuine CSL wheels are 19" :)
I believe those are Cades Tyrus wheels.

19" genuine CSL wheels look like this...

No matter what offset you go for on the rears, a 285 tyre will have to sit either more inboard to protect the arch (which means it'll rub on the suspension) or more outboard and to protect the suspension (which means it'll sit under the rim of the arch, protrude outside of the bodywork and scrape on the arch everytime you compress the suspension).

If you want to risk it, then here's a calculator to help you figure out the offsets.
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

JDM

Post by JDM » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:43 pm

ozz4 wrote:Maybe I have been had....CSL' are what are in your sig
JDM wrote:BMW didnt do an 18" CSL wheel upgrade on the Zed. All genuine CSL wheels are 19" :)
No. Wheels in my signature are 19" Cades wheels.

These are 19" CSL wheels

Hope this helps :)
04 3.0SE Roadster, 07 3.0Si Coupe, 12 2.0iSdrive M Sport... Gone but not forgotten

Now proud owner of an Audi TT TFSI S line, Misano Red Amplified black edition... Don't shoot me.

ozz4

Post by ozz4 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:45 pm

Post from "Bimmerforum"
These offsets make sense when you think about the departure from std

"I have fitted 20's to my M Coupe. If I remember correctly the offset on the front was 40 and I think 28 on the rear. Running 285/25's on the rear and 245/35's in the front. I am running Fox RS III's ... A copy of a Hamman wheel.
I live on a farm and was concerned that the ride was going to be shithouse. It took the installation of some slightly oversized Teflon hub centric rings to get it sorted, but the ride is actually a whole lot better than I expected. I am very happy with the results"

JDM

Post by JDM » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:45 pm

Sorry mmm-five . I didnt notice that's basically a repost of yours :oops:
04 3.0SE Roadster, 07 3.0Si Coupe, 12 2.0iSdrive M Sport... Gone but not forgotten

Now proud owner of an Audi TT TFSI S line, Misano Red Amplified black edition... Don't shoot me.

ozz4

Post by ozz4 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:51 pm

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:54 pm

ozz4 wrote:Post from "Bimmerforum"
These offsets make sense when you think about the departure from std

"I have fitted 20's to my M Coupe."
So, do you have an M Coupe or a non-M coupe?

They start out with difference offsets from the start as they have different rear track (maybe the axle is physically different too).

I know guys who claim to have fitted 275 on the rear without problems, "never rub at all, even when fully loaded" they said. First trip where I was a passenger in one it got 100 yards down the road, went over a speed bump at about 1mph, landed on the other side and went 'crunch'.

"What was that?" ask I.

"I think it's another spring gone, I've replaced them 3 times already." says the driver.

"Are you sure it's not the tyres rubbing/fouling the arch?" I ask.

"No, it can't be, as there's people on the internet who say they've got the same set-up and their's don't rub/foul either." claims the driver.

I'm sure everyone here wishes you the best of luck in fitting whatever modifications you wish, but I don't think most people here would want to be party to you damaging your car.

The picture of that one you posted shows it's lowered as well, so may have aftermarket coilovers, which will help in reducing the chance of rubbing as it's different suspension parts, but he's still probably going to hit the tyre/rim on the rear arch when he's pressing on (I've done it at the 'Ring with 265s on), or catch the arch-liner on the front when turning sharply.

If you never drive quickly and purely want 'all show, no go', then I'm sure you could make anything fit - but don't expect any sympathy when it goes wrong.

If you can't work out how to use that offset calculator I posted a link to - which won't tell you what will fit, only what offset you'll need to move the wheel more in/out board - then sorry but I've got nothing else to offer :|
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

ozz4

Post by ozz4 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:15 pm

You have said more than enough
Thankyou for imparting your knowledge

I will wander on down this road of pre-determined dismal failure.

There seems to be a considerable number of owners that "claim" to be running the setup that I desire.

I will do some more research and duly report.

But seriously thanks