Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

replica alloy wheels....any good?

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion
thmas

Re: replica alloy wheels....any good?

Post by thmas » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:24 pm

Last week I made the journey to BM Auto Sport.

Excellent service and super friendly. I had 19inch Atomic CSL rep's fitted on Eagle f1's. I was hesitant after reading numerous posts about it being a harsher ride on 19's but it actually got better for me. Previously I had run flats on the front and non run flat rear. Tramlining has stopped, so has the random 'wondering' over bumps. The car is much more planted!

As for the other myth regarding weight, the OEM wheels actually weighed more with worn tyres than the 19's with brand new tyres.

All in all i'm super happy with my purchases and would highly recommend making the change! Just make sure you get a wheel alignment done after as it makes your car feel amazing :) :D

photo storage
Silver Grey Z4 3.0si M sport Coupe

Terryvision
Lifer
Lifer

replica alloy wheels....any good?

Post by Terryvision » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:39 pm

thmas wrote:Last week I made the journey to BM Auto Sport.

Excellent service and super friendly. I had 19inch Atomic CSL rep's fitted on Eagle f1's. I was hesitant after reading numerous posts about it being a harsher ride on 19's but it actually got better for me. Previously I had run flats on the front and non run flat rear. Tramlining has stopped, so has the random 'wondering' over bumps. The car is much more planted!

As for the other myth regarding weight, the OEM wheels actually weighed more with worn tyres than the 19's with brand new tyres.

All in all i'm super happy with my purchases and would highly recommend making the change! Just make sure you get a wheel alignment done after as it makes your car feel amazing :) :D

photo storage
Another satisfied bmautosport customer ;)

These are what I'm going for (atomic csl) not sure hyper or shadow!

Did you go for hyper silver? Shadow chrome?

Nice to hear the tramlining has stopped! Are you on standard springs. (Lowered?)

Car look tops mate :)

thmas

Post by thmas » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:55 pm

I had the same dilema! I went for hyper silver in the end as shadow chrome is a little too much 'bling' for me and I wanted it to look standard. Also the silver grey paint doesn't go too well with shadow chrome imo.

The best thing about the Atomics is the offset. They fill the arches nicely compared to the stock 18's. I went for 265/30/19 on the rear and 225/35/19 on the front.

I am on standard springs, thinking about lowering but first on my list of things to do is the bushes as both mark and the Ebley garage round the corner from BM auto sport said they had a little bit of play. After this i'm looking at a custom stainless steel exhaust :D
Silver Grey Z4 3.0si M sport Coupe

Terryvision
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Terryvision » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:59 pm

thmas wrote:I had the same dilema! I went for hyper silver in the end as shadow chrome is a little too much 'bling' for me and I wanted it to look standard. Also the silver grey paint doesn't go too well with shadow chrome imo.

The best thing about the Atomics is the offset. They fill the arches nicely compared to the stock 18's. I went for 265/30/19 on the rear and 225/35/19 on the front.

I am on standard springs, thinking about lowering but first on my list of things to do is the bushes as both mark and the Ebley garage round the corner from BM auto sport said they had a little bit of play. After this i'm looking at a custom stainless steel exhaust :D
Hyper silver it is then.... bmautosport suggested the same tyres sizes for me too , your coupe looks nice with em on :thumbsup:

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:06 pm

My comments are generic related to aftermarket rims and specifically the Ebay type of aftermarket (those sold at low prices and often packaged with Chinese or unknown tyres), not those in this thread, although personally I'd never fit the type of tyre shown on a sports car, regardless of driving style.

We're seeing more an more rims even OEM cracking with the trend to larger rims and lower profile tyres at the same time as a deterioration in road condition, so that is just something that clouds the issue.

Here's an interesting Ebay guide to aftermarket rims that seems to sum up many of the issues:
http://www.ebay.com/gds/The-truth-about ... 191/g.html
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

woolybear

Post by woolybear » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:13 pm

cj10jeeper wrote:My comments are generic related to aftermarket rims and specifically the Ebay type of aftermarket (those sold at low prices and often packaged with Chinese or unknown tyres, not those in this thread, although personally I'd never fit the type of tyre shown on a sports car, regardless of driving style.

We're seeing more an more rims even OEM cracking with the trend to larger rims and lower profile tyres at the same time as a deterioration in road condition, so that is just something that clouds the issue.

Here's an interesting Ebay guide to aftermarket rims that seems to sum up many of the issues:
http://www.ebay.com/gds/The-truth-about ... 191/g.html

I like the Ebay guide and many thanks for the link also, on aftermarket / replica rims.. :thumbsup:
With their underlying final comment, which says it all: "In summary: For many reasons, some of which are listed above, original factory wheels are more durable, stronger and perform better on your car. Please keep all these things in mind when making your purchasing decision".

Additionally, I know a chap who straightens and welds alloys for a living. He has told me on more than one occasion - that of the amount of Alloys that he is asked to repair each week, the % of OEM alloys that he repairs is far lesser, compared to far larger amount of aftermarket items..
Combined with the fact, that when he gets rims in, which have partial pieces missing (which are mostly aftermarket rims) - because they have fractured etc, which clients want to have re-built etc, he simply will not touch them, as the potential safety issues are not worth the risk.. :?

At the end of the day, it's down to personal choices.. If you value your life; those who travel in the car with you and other road users also: Why, would one put inferior quality wheels or budget tyres, onto - your supposed, pride and joy!? :thumbsdown:

I rest my case, on this one..
Happy and safe :driving: to all..

Philly_Sweden

Post by Philly_Sweden » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:42 pm

Thumbs up for Mark Blunden.

I was one of his first Swedish customers and I saw his add in some BMW Magazine, never heard of him before.

Since I only cruise with my cars (no track or hard driving) I didn't feel like paying that much for OEM CSL's. Didn't care about the weight either.

I bought a set of CSL reps for my M3 E46 (at that time I actually owned 2 rear OEM CSL wheels that I got when I bought the car) Superb service from BMautosport. Wheels arrived quickly and well packaged.

The only think I could notice when I compared the OEM VS reps was the weight and paint. Other then that = perfect match.
I was only going for looks so I didn't care about reps or OEM.

Since then I have bought 3 sets of CSL's reps from Mark on another M3 and now on my Z4 and I am so happy. Never had any problems with cracked wheels.

Mark-Z4

Post by Mark-Z4 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:37 pm

Terryvision wrote:
thmas wrote:I had the same dilema! I went for hyper silver in the end as shadow chrome is a little too much 'bling' for me and I wanted it to look standard. Also the silver grey paint doesn't go too well with shadow chrome imo.

Hyper silver it is then.... bmautosport suggested the same tyres sizes for me too , your coupe looks nice with em on :thumbsup:
I also bought the Atomic reps in hyper silver, I went for the extra deep dish with Michelin Super Sports. I haven't fitted them yet, MOT in March so I'll put them on then. I can't wait as my RFTs on my winter wheels are going to kill me.
E86 - Space Grey | Grey Oregon Pearl Leather | Sport Interior | ///M Bumper | Aero Skirts | Piano Black Trim | ///M Wheel | Eibach Pro | CSL | HID | LED | ZHP | MM Tips | Stubby SOLD

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ben g » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:26 am

Doubt you'll have any problems with the nangkang ns2's terry, esecially in that size.

I have them on the front wheels of mine and they're fine. The rears are Avon zz3's and aren't too good.
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

sars
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sars » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:54 am

I don't believe there is anything wrong with aftermarket wheels, however I would recommend that you buy from a manufacturer that has the relevant TUV standard for alloy wheels.
Gorgeous SFR Z4 M40i 8)
Gone 2017 Iridium SL400, 2015 435d xDrive Convertible, 2012 E350 CDi Convertible, 2010 DSB Z4 sdrive30i, 2008 Audi A4 Cabriolet, 2006 Phoenix Yellow Z4 2.5Si, 2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible

JasonZ4King

Post by JasonZ4King » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:57 pm

very very nice Z4.. Great work!

z4mroadster

Post by z4mroadster » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:19 pm

A barrage of info, you guys know your stuff. My limit is 1500. Im looking to purchase a 5 spoke design, projex uk look like they sell some amazing wheels. Saw some savini sv29's. Looked awesome but slightly out of the price range at 3500k!!
previous:
Vx220 turbo (thorny remap stage 1) 225bhp
Honda s2000 (AEM v2 induction kit) 240bhp
BMW 330ci m-sport 231bhp
Current: Silver BMW z4MR

z4mroadster

Post by z4mroadster » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:15 pm

previous:
Vx220 turbo (thorny remap stage 1) 225bhp
Honda s2000 (AEM v2 induction kit) 240bhp
BMW 330ci m-sport 231bhp