Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

CSL wheels? I don't get it!

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion
Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:12 am

Call me a sentimental old fool, but i might go for a set of these...
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (35.83 KiB) Viewed 2795 times
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

goldbcfc

Post by goldbcfc » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:34 am

IF you like your wheels and buy expensive well known manufacturers. You will know CSL reps is just cheap £400-500 set of rims copied by many aftermarket brands. As Y spoke is very common choice on a lot of cars not just Bmw. Unless you have genuine bmw CSL alloys wgich cost a lot the rest are just ebay wheels really very common and cheap. I had CSL on my Z4 when i bought it and it looked great i sold them a week later and put my £2000 Beyern alloys on. They look good but id imagine if you went to a Z4 meet their going to look mostly all the same. If you go to a show you wont see any CSL replicas only custom alloys. Some people like 2pc/3pc built up alloys some just like simple cheap Y spoke easy option i suppose. I think the cheap price has to do with why you see so many tbh. If all these cheap copies wasnt availble you would have to buy the proper BBS,TSW,Hartge,Beyern,Vossen Y spoke styles. At £2000 a set you would see many sticking to oem and less CSl reps about. This is why i dislike CSL reps really. I looks and know their just cheap ebay wheels
Attachments
IMG_3245.PNG
IMG_3245.PNG (758.97 KiB) Viewed 2793 times

Marius

Post by Marius » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:15 am

Rassi wrote:I had the CSL wheels on my E92 M3 as part of the Competition package. They look fantastic, but when I bought my Z4 Coupe some weeks ago, I had the choice to buy a new set of 19" CSL replica with new Kuhmo tyres. While it gave the Z4 an aggressive look, and really suited it, I did not go for it, as the front 8.5" wheels with 235 tyres had a stretched look, with the leading edge of the wheels protruding a good 1/2 cm, and the ride was quite harsh.

In the end I went for a new set of 224 with Goodyear Asymmetric 3, and really like the way they fit on the non M. If the CSL replicas had been a perfect fit with a better brand of tyres, would probably have gone for them.

Csl wheels never been fitted to e92's and competition wheels are totally different. LOL

Rassi

Post by Rassi » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:40 am

Marius wrote:
Rassi wrote:I had the CSL wheels on my E92 M3 as part of the Competition package. They look fantastic, but when I bought my Z4 Coupe some weeks ago, I had the choice to buy a new set of 19" CSL replica with new Kuhmo tyres. While it gave the Z4 an aggressive look, and really suited it, I did not go for it, as the front 8.5" wheels with 235 tyres had a stretched look, with the leading edge of the wheels protruding a good 1/2 cm, and the ride was quite harsh.

In the end I went for a new set of 224 with Goodyear Asymmetric 3, and really like the way they fit on the non M. If the CSL replicas had been a perfect fit with a better brand of tyres, would probably have gone for them.

Csl wheels never been fitted to e92's and competition wheels are totally different. LOL
Thanks for pointing out this terrible mistake - not sure that I agree that CSL and the E92 359 wheels are "totally different" but ok...

http://forums.m3cutters.co.uk/showthread.php?t=62115
‘21 BMW X5 M50i
Gone:
BMW: Z3 M Coupe, E39 M5, E60 M5, E92 M3, Z4 Coupe, F10 M5, X5 M50D, F31 335D, Z4 35iS,
G31 540i, X3M, F90 M5, X3M, X5 40d
MB: C43 AMG
Audi: A6 BiTDI Avant
Alfa Romeo: 164 V6 24V, Giulia Quadrifoglio

Stu Boy

Post by Stu Boy » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:54 am

buzyg wrote:Beauty is in the eye of the beholder they say. Personalty I think the CSL's look great. 8) As good as the 224's in fact. :thumbsup: I'd happily swap them over. Would n't pay any more for a set though. Aren't they a bit lighter too?
I weighed mine when I swapped them over, they are a bit lighter:-

CSL front with tyre 20.8kg MPSS
CSL rear with tyre 22.5kg MPSS
224 front with tyre 21.4kg Continental
224 rear with tyre 24.1kg Continental

Like you say beauty is in the eye of the beholder and the CSL is the one of the best looking rims out there and suits many BMW's, for me the ride is slightly harsher but hardly compromised and they're not as easy to clean as 224's
2007 Z4 ///M Roadster, Black Sapphire, Nav, Deflector, Eibach's, Bilstein B6's, OEM CSL's 6 Pot BMW Performance Calipers

PerryGunn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PerryGunn » Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:40 pm

Chris_D wrote:Call me a sentimental old fool, but i might go for a set of these...
If you're going to get them, I hope you're going to go balls-deep on the look...?

Alpina Roadster S #320
* Quaife ATB LSD * StrongStrut Braces * Turner RTAB Limiters * Gap-Tech RCH+ *
* Intravee & KCA-420i * Mini 0806 * Cheetah C550 * Stubby *

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:30 pm

PerryGunn wrote:
Chris_D wrote:Call me a sentimental old fool, but i might go for a set of these...
If you're going to get them, I hope you're going to go balls-deep on the look...?

omg. gorgeous!
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.