Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Help! Time to choose ...

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion
Buckz

Help! Time to choose ...

Post by Buckz » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:39 am

I'd avoid P-zeros but you already made the purchase so have fun ha.

Busterboo

Help! Time to choose ...

Post by Busterboo » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:52 am

craig3.2 wrote:At the end of the day, it's what you are happy getting :thumbsup:
The pirrelli's should be okay though :driving:
Well, they're going on tomorrow at 36psi front & 44 rear, the wheels are being aligned on a Hunter machine and I'll write a first report on their performance after a 100 miles, when the release compound should have worn off.

Even if they're not brilliant and even if they last only a year, I'll be delighted to be on them and off the Bridgestone run-flats, which are frightening me sometimes.
Vidi, vici, veni

Busterboo

Help! Time to choose ...

Post by Busterboo » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:56 am

Buckz wrote:I'd avoid P-zeros ...
Why do you say this? :)
Vidi, vici, veni

Buckz

Help! Time to choose ...

Post by Buckz » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:01 pm

Busterboo wrote:
Buckz wrote:I'd avoid P-zeros ...
Why do you say this? :)
I know quite a few people with high performance cars and in wet they're lethal, everyone who knows what they're talking and had the chance to experience them told me to avoid them at all costs unless you only drive in sunny/dry weather and UK is not a country that sees much of that ;) Which is why I have always avoided them and went with something else. I'm quite happy with my falken 453's on the coupe!

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Help! Time to choose ...

Post by mr wilks » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:05 pm

Busterboo wrote:
craig3.2 wrote:At the end of the day, it's what you are happy getting :thumbsup:
The pirrelli's should be okay though :driving:
Well, they're going on tomorrow at 36psi front & 44 rear, the wheels are being aligned on a Hunter machine and I'll write a first report on their performance after a 100 miles, when the release compound should have worn off.

Even if they're not brilliant and even if they last only a year, I'll be delighted to be on them and off the Bridgestone run-flats, which are frightening me sometimes.
44psi on rear :? Seems high & won't help traction on wet roads :|
As you say warm tyres & warm roads they will stick fine but otherwise every Pirelli tyre ive tried feels "skatey" if you give throttle on a damp bend
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

Busterboo

Help! Time to choose ...

Post by Busterboo » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:07 pm

The only Pirellis I've known to be really bad in the wet were the original P6, which I had on a Golf GTI MkII and were terrible. They wouldn't take you round a roundabout in the rain. Quite literally. The later P600 (was there ever a P60?) were better, the P6000 (on a Jaguar S-Type) were very good and P Zero Rosso N3 (on a 911) were excellent - well, for 8,000 miles.

(My only experience of cheap tyres was a mistake. NEXEN on a 4.2-litre Jaguar. They were OK - not bad tyres - but just not as good as the car and not worth the money saved.)

Michelin PS2 (on the 911) were excellent, but never as good as the Rosso N3, although they lasted more than twice as long. But, as I've said elsewhere, the PS2 could 'float' momentarily on good, dry surfaces at high speed, which meant, in reality, that they kept me below 150.

As for the new, 2016 P Zero ... well, they score better than Goodyear Asymmetric 3 in some reviews, but worse in others and there's always the echo of 'Bad in the rain' from the past. So, I'm going to have to suck 'em & see.

(37 & 45psi are the advised pressures on the 35is at an ambient air temperature of 20 degrees C. So, in winter, I'll experiment with lower, but not much.)

Whatever, they're not expensive and, if they're poor, I'll change 'em. I'm not proud. :)
Vidi, vici, veni

STUBOY2UK

Help! Time to choose ...

Post by STUBOY2UK » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:16 pm

I've got P-Zeros on mine and think the grip is good, maybe I'm not driving fast enough :lol:
Z4R 3.0si Sport auto. So far: 19" CSLs, Eibachs, MM exhaust tips, de-badged rear, stubby, black grilles, spacers, aux cable, interior LEDs, LED boot strip......

Wrs

Help! Time to choose ...

Post by Wrs » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:26 pm

Busterboo wrote: (37 & 45psi are the advised pressures on the 35is at an ambient air temperature of 20 degrees C. So, in winter, I'll experiment with lower, but not much.)
They do seem quite high.

Are they not the run flat pressures recommendation? I'm running 34 front and 36 back with Michelin Pilot Super Sports.
Gone - Black Sapphire Z4 E89 35is
Gone - Midnight Blue Z4 E85 3.0si

NickDE

Help! Time to choose ...

Post by NickDE » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:55 pm

STUBOY2UK wrote:I've got P-Zeros on mine and think the grip is good, maybe I'm not driving fast enough :lol:
I have P-Zeros on. I can easily provoke a slide :D . But I'm not yet ready to blame the tyres as they are summer tyres that I am pushing on cold wet roads. My Touring has no problems on the same roads as it has decent winter tyres on now, and wears Goodyear Asymetrics in the summer. When some warm weather comes I will judge the P-Zeros when it is a fair assessment.
Darkness gone, go Darknes2, go Frozen, go Tronic

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Help! Time to choose ...

Post by Ducklakeview » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:15 pm

Interesting....

Just considering new boots for mine, losing the RFT's :)

Looks like Goodyear or Vred's then..

Mike

Busterboo

Help! Time to choose ...

Post by Busterboo » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:24 am

Wrs wrote:
Busterboo wrote: (37 & 45psi are the advised pressures on the 35is at an ambient air temperature of 20 degrees C. So, in winter, I'll experiment with lower, but not much.)
They do seem quite high.

Are they not the run flat pressures recommendation? I'm running 34 front and 36 back with Michelin Pilot Super Sports.
My understanding is that tyre pressures are determined by the car and not by the tyre. (So, the same tyre on different cars will be inflated to different pressures, but different tyres on the same car will be inflated to the same pressures.)

In the case of the 35is, that's 37psi front and 45psi rear.
Vidi, vici, veni

Wrs

Help! Time to choose ...

Post by Wrs » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:40 am

Busterboo wrote:
Wrs wrote:
They do seem quite high.

My understanding is that tyre pressures are determined by the car and not by the tyre. (So, the same tyre on different cars will be inflated to different pressures, but different tyres on the same car will be inflated to the same pressures.)

Hmmm do what you like then.. Personally I wouldn't inflate non-flat tyres to the run-flat recommended pressures.

Not on my 35is anyway.
Gone - Black Sapphire Z4 E89 35is
Gone - Midnight Blue Z4 E85 3.0si

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Help! Time to choose ...

Post by mr wilks » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:50 am

Wrs wrote:
Busterboo wrote:
Wrs wrote:
They do seem quite high.

Hmmm do what you like then.. Personally I wouldn't inflate non-flat tyres to the run-flat recommended pressures.

Not on my 35is anyway.
Me neither :cry: 45psi is high :cry: not like the E89 is a 5 series weight car with 4 passengers :? ive had all sorts of wheel + tyre sizes on a range of Zs & never been over 40psi rear
33-34 F 36-38 R has always worked for me for grip , tyre wear & comfort
Try different pressures out OP & keep us posted on your thoughts :thumbsup:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

Busterboo

Help! Time to choose ...

Post by Busterboo » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:53 pm

Am going to start a new thread, because the topic seems worth it ...
Vidi, vici, veni