Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

winter tyres and insurance

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion
dhobbs

Post by dhobbs » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:40 pm

Not sure if this is the correct place to post but...

I just found this regarding winter tyres and whether you have to tell your insurance. Go to this website
https://www.abi.org.uk/Insurance-and-sa ... nter-tyres

There is a download which details each insurance company whether you have to tell them and if it affects the amount of cover.

Seems like most of them are fine with it (finally some sense!)

:)
3.0si roadster. Requisite stubby. Sound gen mod. LED numberplate lights. LED boot strip. Interior lights LED too. ZHP gearknob. Daily drive :driving:
Motor in boot. Bilstein B8 dampers. New radio, much better sounds :thumbsup:

NickDE

Post by NickDE » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:53 pm

dhobbs wrote:Seems like most of them are fine with it (finally some sense!)

:)
It's crazy to think fitting winter tyres could have a negative impact on your insurance.
In Germany if you have an accident on summer tyres in wintry conditions (ie cold, frosty etc not just snow) most insurance companies won't pay for damage to your car. They will pay for damage to others as they were not at fault. They won't pay for damage to you or your car as driving with unsuitable tyres is negligent and so the damage was self inflicted.
Darkness gone, go Darknes2, go Frozen, go Tronic

dhobbs

Post by dhobbs » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:02 pm

A few years ago they would charge you more because they didn't understand and the operators treated it like a modification.
3.0si roadster. Requisite stubby. Sound gen mod. LED numberplate lights. LED boot strip. Interior lights LED too. ZHP gearknob. Daily drive :driving:

NickDE

Post by NickDE » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:14 pm

stupid people

WLH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by WLH » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:32 pm

Where I live in Pennsylvania and most Northern states winter tires are required from October or November until March or even early April. Should you get stuck and are blocking a road you will be given an expensive ticket. If you have an accident you will be given a ticket and assigned fault for the accident. No effect on your auto insurance as far as I know other than if you are assigned fault for an accident.
2007 ///M Roadster - My Zed's - Member ZSCCA - ///M Registry - My Videos

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:32 pm

Frankly I find it ludicrous that the ABI, as the trade body of the Insurance industry so to speak, does not require ALL of it's members to accept the fitment of winter tyres with no additional premium or any variation in cover - so long as they are of an appropriate size!

Thankfully as motor insurance is an annual contract the duty of disclosure only arises at renewal, and my renewal is at the end of April at which time my E46 is on it's summer wheels! (It may run on original fitment BMW wheels with winter tyres from November to March, but they are off by renewal date)! :lol:

And better still, it's insurer is on the list that doesn't charge or alter cover. :thumbsup:

Sad to see such a mess of incompetence within an industry in which I worked for over 30 years, but by the time I left the motor/household arena was so dumbed-down most monkeys would have been over-qualified! :headbang:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

dhobbs

Post by dhobbs » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:12 am

Winter tyres are a requirement for most of northern Europe, unfortunately as the UKs winters are unpredictable it's not required here.

I kept my summer tyres on last winter and it wasn't a problem.

NickDE

Post by NickDE » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:24 am

Mr Tidy wrote: (It may run on original fitment BMW wheels with winter tyres from November to March, but they are off by renewal date)! :lol:
Winter tyres are an original fitment on BMWs. They are listed in the manual, denoted by 'M&S'. If you are running winter tyres of one of the listed sizes on the correct BMW wheels there is no modification to report.

Unpredictable winters cuts no ice with me !! Unless you are in a position to leave a car with summer tyres at home on cold days there will be days when your summer tyres are underperforming. I'm lucky to have one car with good summer tyres on, one with good winter tyres. And yes there is a huge difference in grip between the two on cold days.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:44 pm

NickDE wrote: Winter tyres are an original fitment on BMWs. They are listed in the manual, denoted by 'M&S'. If you are running winter tyres of one of the listed sizes on the correct BMW wheels there is no modification to report.

Unpredictable winters cuts no ice with me !! Unless you are in a position to leave a car with summer tyres at home on cold days there will be days when your summer tyres are underperforming. I'm lucky to have one car with good summer tyres on, one with good winter tyres. And yes there is a huge difference in grip between the two on cold days.
That's an interesting point about them being potentially OEM.

And I couldn't agree more with you on the difference, even when there is no snow. Like you I have one car on winters and my Z4 stays on summers - as you say the difference is really noticeable. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

dhobbs

Post by dhobbs » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:20 pm

I chose 103 alloys for my winter wheels as they are OEM, less of a chance for the insurers to wriggle out of a claim.
Also the drop is size from 18 to 17 inch is better for the potholes.