Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Pilot Super Sports

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion
DinosaurEyes

Pilot Super Sports

Post by DinosaurEyes » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:47 am

I've ordered a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports, which I'm getting fitted next week. I'm really excited to see the difference compared to the Acceleras I've got on at the moment. Anyone else upgraded and noticed much difference?

Then I get the new suspension fitted a few days later! So excited!

Buckz

Pilot Super Sports

Post by Buckz » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:55 am

Depends if you drive on the limit obviously.. going from very good tyres to mpss will not be huge but going from budgets which you have now should make a huge difference especially in breaking distances and wet weather driving.

AlfaScozzesi

Pilot Super Sports

Post by AlfaScozzesi » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:59 am

I think there is a difference to these tyres. I changed from the M spec Continentals to MPSS and although I rate the ContInentals I feel the Michelins are better.

That said I am a fast road driver and not a track driver so the difference is marginal and is probably better felt in a track situation.

What I can confirm is that the MPSS are definately better in the rain than I would have thought the tyre compound difference would have made and feel a lot more secure than the Continentals and hugely more than the reviews you read about the wet performance.

I stay in a wet part of the world so get to trial these conditions more than most. :(

flimper
Lifer
Lifer

Pilot Super Sports

Post by flimper » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:59 am

Be careful in cold weather, they don't like it!
Piano black & black extended leather. Power mirrors, tinted glass, PDC, Prof hi-fi, CD, retro-fit cruise

paulgs1000
Lifer
Lifer

Pilot Super Sports

Post by paulgs1000 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:13 am

AlfaScozzesi wrote:I think there is a difference to these tyres. I changed from the M spec Continentals to MPSS and although I rate the ContInentals I feel the Michelins are better.

That said I am a fast road driver and not a track driver so the difference is marginal and is probably better felt in a track situation.

What I can confirm is that the MPSS are definately better in the rain than I would have thought the tyre compound difference would have made and feel a lot more secure than the Continentals and hugely more than the reviews you read about the wet performance.

I stay in a wet part of the world so get to trial these conditions more than most. :(
That's interesting Gary - we've always used GoodYear F1s and I've come to trust them in both dry and particularly the wet. I've wondered how the MPSS (which are fitted on our M) would perform when pushed in the wet (having read the same reviews). Haven't really had the opportunity to trial them that way yet - it's been slime on the back roads not wet. Likely to be using the M on the continent in the summer and want to renew the tyres . . . still would favour the GoodYears (if there's an M fitment?) but think I'll remain with what is fitted now as everyone seems to expect them on the M. Your comments lend weight to that decision - cheers. :thumbsup:
Last edited by paulgs1000 on Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Now Porsche flat 6 experience, 986S & 981S.
2006 Z4MR Imola Red/Imola Red, 2008 3.0si Sport Stratus Grey/Piano black, 2006 2.0I Sport Silver Grey Facelift. MX5, TVR Chimaera, many motorbikes.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Pilot Super Sports

Post by buzyg » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:18 am

flimper wrote:Be careful in cold weather, they don't like it!
Your right on that, but they are still progressive just low on grip in the cold. Had lots of fun this morning in the frost up on Dartmoor. :driving: Plus once warmed through on a dry road the grip is really rather good and still progressive, if you do manage to brake traction. :thumbsup:

Wrs

Pilot Super Sports

Post by Wrs » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:06 am

If you are coming from run-flats you would have no doubt noticed the DTC light flashing like crazy after planting your right foot. Well I did anyways. :(

I then fitted MPSS and even in 1st (in dry weather), the difference is phenomenal soooo sticky. Be warned though these tyres have a habit of giving you a little too much confidence at times. 8)

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts after you have had a chance to scrub them in. :thumbsup:
Gone - Black Sapphire Z4 E89 35is
Gone - Midnight Blue Z4 E85 3.0si

sw4nny

Pilot Super Sports

Post by sw4nny » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:49 am

DinosaurEyes wrote:I've ordered a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports, which I'm getting fitted next week. I'm really excited to see the difference compared to the Acceleras I've got on at the moment. Anyone else upgraded and noticed much difference?

Then I get the new suspension fitted a few days later! So excited!
You could just paint the wheel rims with black paint and they would handle better than the Acceleras in the wet,I made the mistake of fitting these ,never again,Michelin pilots I have used before and found them to be in a different league altogether .
Seems like with tyres you get what you pay for :)
E85 3.oi titan silver,Maldives blue E85 3.0i gone but not forgotten

Anakin

Pilot Super Sports

Post by Anakin » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:43 pm

I run PSS on my TT RS I take them off and run Michelin PA4 once it starts getting colder. Z4M R is still on the OEM M3 jobbies for now. I will see if the M PS4s is available in 18" sizes once they need changing.
Monaco Blue Z4M Roadster & Solar Orange TT RS

Baza

Pilot Super Sports

Post by Baza » Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:22 pm

I recently changed from my Vredstein Ultrac Vorti's to Michelen PS4's .They are pretty close but I think the PS 4's are just ahead. For me the main difference is ultra smooth driving and a feeling of being one with the car.
Panther Kallista 2.8
S Drive 3.0i E89 2009 Space Grey Coral red Int 18" 295 wheels

kis
Lifer
Lifer

Pilot Super Sports

Post by kis » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:59 am

buzyg wrote:
flimper wrote:Be careful in cold weather, they don't like it!
Your right on that, but they are still progressive just low on grip in the cold. Had lots of fun this morning in the frost up on Dartmoor. :driving: Plus once warmed through on a dry road the grip is really rather good and still progressive, if you do manage to brake traction. :thumbsup:
Do you mean general cold weather (i.e. winter) regardless of whether the tyre itself has warmed up? Or just on initial start up in cold weather, after-which they warm up and perform better? Much like brake pads...

Cheers!
My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

BMW Family History (past and present):
1 Series - E87
3 Series - E46 Coupe, E46 M3, E90 (x3)
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
7 Series - E32
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71

flimper
Lifer
Lifer

Pilot Super Sports

Post by flimper » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:08 pm

Good question, not really pushed on them to find out the answer!
Piano black & black extended leather. Power mirrors, tinted glass, PDC, Prof hi-fi, CD, retro-fit cruise

WLH
Lifer
Lifer

Pilot Super Sports

Post by WLH » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:23 pm

I've used a number of the premium tire brands over the past 14 years of driving Zed's and I found nothing better than PSS and especially on the ///M. As other have mentioned PSS and cold and especially cold wet roads don't mix. During warm weather and on wet roads you will find that you have about 9/10 the traction that you have on the same road when it dry. Wet performance is amazing! :driving:
2007 ///M Roadster - My Zed's - Member ZSCCA - ///M Registry - My Videos

Buckz

Pilot Super Sports

Post by Buckz » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:33 pm

See I needed an all around performance as my car gets driven all year round so I went with Goodyear Eagle F1 AS3's this time.

current set is falken fk453's which I don't find bad but they're not great at anything really. Just DECENT all around.

kis
Lifer
Lifer

Pilot Super Sports

Post by kis » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:10 pm

Buckz wrote:See I needed an all around performance as my car gets driven all year round so I went with Goodyear Eagle F1 AS3's this time.

current set is falken fk453's which I don't find bad but they're not great at anything really. Just DECENT all around.
I'm the same TBH.

Ran PS2 / PS3 set up on the e46. No issues with that and sometimes I pushed it quite hard. That being said the Zed feels different and so I think topped with the extra power it's 'easier' to loose the back end. For some reason the winters seem to be getting colder as well. So I want to be sure I'm going to keep traction, if I'm taking a corner whilst pushing it in the cold (not that I do that on a regular basis, but more if that situation were to arise! :wink: ).

All that being said I've got a set of 107's I could potentially dedicate to winter tyres and get PSS on the 108's... decisions, decisions!
My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

BMW Family History (past and present):
1 Series - E87
3 Series - E46 Coupe, E46 M3, E90 (x3)
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
7 Series - E32
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71