Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

How to protect newly refurbished wheels?

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion
dhobbs

Post by dhobbs » Sat May 06, 2017 7:00 am

I've just had my wheels refurbished and I would like to know how to protect them.
I already have AG wheel sealant but can I use normal wax then the sealant over the top?

They're MV2 wheels so I'm keen to protect all the nooks and crannies, and the rear parts you can never get to.

Given them a quick wash to get rid of the dust and whatever lube they used to put the tyres on. Don't want them on the car before sealing.

I will post pictures when photobucket starts allowing mobile uploads, seems to be broken at the moment.
3.0si roadster. Requisite stubby. Sound gen mod. LED numberplate lights. LED boot strip. Interior lights LED too. ZHP gearknob. Daily drive :driving:
Motor in boot. Bilstein B8 dampers. New radio, much better sounds :thumbsup:

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Sat May 06, 2017 7:08 am

dhobbs wrote: Sat May 06, 2017 7:00 am I've just had my wheels refurbished and I would like to know how to protect them.
I already have AG wheel sealant but can I use normal wax then the sealant over the top?

They're MV2 wheels so I'm keen to protect all the nooks and crannies, and the rear parts you can never get to.

Given them a quick wash to get rid of the dust and whatever lube they used to put the tyres on. Don't want them on the car before sealing.

I will post pictures when photobucket starts allowing mobile uploads, seems to be broken at the moment.

Hi, I find the best way to protect newly refurbished wheels is to avoid driving into curbs (don't ask me how I know this) :lol:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

dhobbs

Post by dhobbs » Sat May 06, 2017 7:20 am

Smartbear wrote: Sat May 06, 2017 7:08 am
Hi, I find the best way to protect newly refurbished wheels is to avoid driving into curbs (don't ask me how I know this) :lol:
Rob
Ha ha, thanks. I did that once when I first got my car. I was so cross with myself. Luckily I had alloy wheel insurance so it got repaired quickly.
3.0si roadster. Requisite stubby. Sound gen mod. LED numberplate lights. LED boot strip. Interior lights LED too. ZHP gearknob. Daily drive :driving:

Leadfoot Z

Post by Leadfoot Z » Sat May 06, 2017 8:45 am

dhobbs wrote: Sat May 06, 2017 7:00 am I've just had my wheels refurbished and I would like to know how to protect them.

Hi,

Try Gtechniq C5 wheel armour, this forms an extra hard layer on top of the finish (its a ceramic coating) :thumbsup:
Z4 3.0si Sport Coupe Auto, Carbon Black, Beige Leather, Beige Carpets, Fine Wood Trim, Nav Professional, Phone Prep Business......

markeg
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markeg » Sat May 06, 2017 9:04 am

Leadfoot Z wrote: Sat May 06, 2017 8:45 am Hi,

Try Gtechniq C5 wheel armour, this forms an extra hard layer on top of the finish (its a ceramic coating) :thumbsup:
+1. This stuff is brilliant.
previous: Alpina Roadster S, #108: gone
current: MB C-class
"veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck around..."

dhobbs

Post by dhobbs » Sat May 06, 2017 9:26 am

Just seen how much this stuff is! :o

How much do you need for 4 wheels?
Comes in 15ml or 30ml

markeg
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markeg » Sat May 06, 2017 9:38 am

I last bought the 30ml bottle, it's done one full set of 19" wheels and I've used under half.

markeg
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markeg » Sat May 06, 2017 9:42 am

dhobbs wrote: Sat May 06, 2017 7:00 am ... Given them a quick wash to get rid of the dust and whatever lube they used to put the tyres on. Don't want them on the car before sealing.
I would recommend a good clean with a degreaser to ensure there is no residue left, including wax, before using the GTechniq - I tend to use a clay bar (remembering that, as in all things in life, plenty of lube is needed.....). Let the wheels dry fully, then apply the coating and let it fully dry before putting the wheel back on.

dhobbs

Post by dhobbs » Sat May 06, 2017 9:46 am

Thanks.
I intend to paint the brake disc hub to clean that up too. So looks like a day off to put a set of wheels on. Will do the bolts too.

markeg
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markeg » Sat May 06, 2017 9:52 am

One last thing - don't be tempted to put the coating on thickly - it's not needed and can look a mess. Apply only a very thin coat using a cotton pad - nick some make-up pads from your other half, they're ideal.

Bulldog1

Post by Bulldog1 » Sat May 06, 2017 5:00 pm

As markeg says get the 30 ml. I've just had my 293 wheels refurbished and I ordered the Gtechniq G5 in 15ml. I only managed to do three wheels despite using it sparingly :x As good as it is it's bloody expensive and I couldn't see where I'd applied it . So for the fourth wheel I'm going to try the AG wheel protector and see how that performs.

dhobbs

Post by dhobbs » Sat May 06, 2017 6:42 pm

Just ordered some so will have to wait for Amazon delivery. Maybe a job for next weekend if it arrives in time.

dhobbs

Post by dhobbs » Sat May 13, 2017 6:53 pm

The C5 arrived and read the instructions (that's a first).
So as advised gave the wheels a damm good clean and degrease and another clean, then overnight to dry.

Took them indoors today and put them on the dining room table. Thankfully the missus was out at work.
Applying the c5 wasn't too bad, a little area at a time and polish off almost straight away. Took about two hours, mainly the fronts (mv2) as they're a bit complex.

Now back in the garage and wait till tomorrow to fit them.

Let's hope it's worth the effort.
8)