Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Z4 vs new Boxter

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion
boreas7

Z4 vs new Boxter

Post by boreas7 » Mon May 22, 2017 11:45 pm

I've had a 2014 Z4, 2.0i , from new and have always thought it was both a lovely car to look at, and drive.

I recently took the new four cylinder Boxter S out for a lenghty test drive and whilst contrary to the pundits views, I found both the performance and sound excellent, however there were a couple of points that I wasn't expecting, that soon became clear.

1. The ride was just too firm, compared to the Z4, even though I still have run flat tyres, although admittedley the Z4 has adaptive suspension.

2. With the roof down and the side windows raised, on the Boxster an awfull draft comes in around the space between the rear of the window and the stowed soft top. The Z4 having the small 1/4 lights behind the main windows, prevent this draft from manifestng itself. Both the Porsche and my Z4 had the draught screens in place. I could not under any circumstances, live long term, with this.

3. This may only apply to my driving position, however on the Boxster, which has a soft top, when the roof is raised, I found the shape of the back end of the soft top, created for me a serious blind spot. The Z4 in a similar position and with its roof raised, has a much smaller solid panel which causes me, no real blind spot.

In conclusion, the drive re inforced just how good, overall, the Z4 is for my needs and requirements.