Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Goodyear Eagle F1s

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion
stevengude

Goodyear Eagle F1s

Post by stevengude » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:33 pm

Afternoon!

I've got a puncture on one of my bridgestone run flats - i've had it repaired but i don't trust it really. I've got a long trip to Belgium coming up and i'd like to get it replaced.

Instead of paying for a new run flat, my other rear tyre is running low so i'm thinking of replacing them all with some non-run flats.

Where would the best place be to get a full set of Eagle F1's fitted (18")? Or can someone recommend something equally as good performance wide but a little cheaper?

Thanks

Steve

Z4 Gaz

Goodyear Eagle F1s

Post by Z4 Gaz » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:01 pm

Yokohama Advan V105 or Vredestein Ultrac Vorti. Both come out pretty much equally as good and/or better in certain aspects in the tyre tests.

If you can, order them from camskill and get them fitted locally, if you have a friendly garage that won't take the piss on fitting charges.
E85 3.0i

Status

Goodyear Eagle F1s

Post by Status » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:50 pm

I will have two almost new runflats (rear ) coming up for sale very soon

kis
Lifer
Lifer

Goodyear Eagle F1s

Post by kis » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:56 am

General rule of thumb is that you shouldn't repair runflats, as you don't know how long you've been running on them in an punctured / damaged condition. Obviously if you do it in a car park and notice there and then, then I'd be happy running it with a repair... but that depends whether you can convince a garage to do it. Generally its a no-no.
My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

BMW Family History (past and present):
1 Series - E87
3 Series - E46 Coupe, E46 M3, E90 (x3)
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
7 Series - E32
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71

stevengude

Goodyear Eagle F1s

Post by stevengude » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:01 pm

There seems very little difference in price between the f1s and vorti's. Which one would people recommend? Do i need to do anything special when switching from RFs to normal?

Camskill seems to be about 30-40 cheaper than blackcircles for a set - which by the time ive paid for fitting is pretty much equal i think.

mjennings23

Goodyear Eagle F1s

Post by mjennings23 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:30 pm

Assuming you're looking at the F1 Aysemmetric 3, then stick to them. Despite what you might get told about sub-par tyres being "nearly as good" by some people, the fact is that Goodyear, Continental and Michelin tyres constantly come out top in proper tests for good reason.

The F1A3 is only directly comparable to the Continental PremiumContact6 (replaced the SportContact5) and the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 in 18" sizes, so personally I would look at them three and pick the cheapest.

In fairness, the new Pirelli P-Zero is also very good, but good luck being able to tell if it's the new or old one! Unlike every other manufacturer that adds a number to show which generation it is, Pirelli seems to dislike this practice and keeps the same name for multiple generations!

No need to do anything special, perhaps just get a can of wheel sealant and a pump in the boot, just in case! Breakdown cover is good too for any major tyre damage, but this would be an issue on runflats too.

Fitting and balancing would probably work out around £30-40 for four wheels, so stick to black circles if it's easier would be my advice. Helps that the tyres are delivered to the fitting garage too rather than you carting them in yourself.

Z4 Gaz

Goodyear Eagle F1s

Post by Z4 Gaz » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:54 pm

The GY will be more comfortable, better on fuel, better in the wet and quieter.
Whereas the Vorti will have a more precise feel thanks to stiffer side walls, and better dry grip.

Ultimately it depends on what you want from the tyre, or what you prioritise.

I always go on this site which has links to all the tyre tests and decide from there.
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/
You do need to take some of the tests with a pinch of salt, in one test the tyre will beat its rivals, then loose in another.
E85 3.0i

Kit

Goodyear Eagle F1s

Post by Kit » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:33 pm

Eagle F1 or Sport 4?
Was going for the Sport 4's, but saw this thread and its the 67db for the Eagle F1 as to 71db for the Sport 4's that got me thinking.
The question is will I notice the noise level difference? I know the eagles are cheaper and thats appealing :)
Old Z3 2.2 Sport Grey White leather Great car looks just the part, Current Z4 3.0si Sport Auto Grey Red Leather better car great engine handling super, not as pretty as the 3, 2 different cars

IRD

Goodyear Eagle F1s

Post by IRD » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:03 pm

I had a set of Goodyears fitted and wheels balanced at a Formula One Autocentre a couple of months ago. Total cost £366. They reckon to beat other quotes so I rang around to get the best prices and then contacted them again and sure enough they gave a furthe £20 reduction. I'm really pleased with the tyres, a massive improvement on runflats.

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Goodyear Eagle F1s

Post by mr wilks » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:24 pm

mjennings23 wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:30 pm Assuming you're looking at the F1 Aysemmetric 3, then stick to them. Despite what you might get told about sub-par tyres being "nearly as good" by some people, the fact is that Goodyear, Continental and Michelin tyres constantly come out top in proper tests for good reason.

The F1A3 is only directly comparable to the Continental PremiumContact6 (replaced the SportContact5) and the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 in 18" sizes, so personally I would look at them three and pick the cheapest.

In fairness, the new Pirelli P-Zero is also very good, but good luck being able to tell if it's the new or old one! Unlike every other manufacturer that adds a number to show which generation it is, Pirelli seems to dislike this practice and keeps the same name for multiple generations!
So from the above you have run all these different tyres + many "nearly as good " to offer this insight :?
Or is it taken from web / magazine reading ?
Personally I would only pay heed in any results from "proper tests" if they were done on the actual car i intended fitting the tyres to otherwise how can you compare a tyres performance tested on for eg a rwd 5 series tourer or fwd Passat saloon with a rwd 2 seater sports :?
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

mjennings23

Goodyear Eagle F1s

Post by mjennings23 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:48 pm

mr wilks wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:24 pm
mjennings23 wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:30 pm Assuming you're looking at the F1 Aysemmetric 3, then stick to them. Despite what you might get told about sub-par tyres being "nearly as good" by some people, the fact is that Goodyear, Continental and Michelin tyres constantly come out top in proper tests for good reason.

So from the above you have run all these different tyres + many "nearly as good " to offer this insight :?
Personally I would only pay heed in any results from "proper tests" if they were done on the actual car i intended fitting the tyres to otherwise how can you compare a tyres performance tested on for eg a rwd 5 series tourer or fwd Passat saloon with a rwd 2 seater sports :?
You do make a valid point regarding the test car, it would make a difference and isn't something we can really quantify because I can't see 2017 tyres being tested on a car that launched in 2003.

However, wet/dry braking and aquaplaning characteristics are going to be relevant, and rated in all decent tests i.e. autobild

EDIT: http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/20 ... e-Test.htm

This shows tyres tested in a 245/45/18 on an Audi TT, so not overly far away in terms of weight and size to the Z4, and the Michelin PS4 wins, followed by the F1A3. Admittedly the Vredstein Ultrac Vorti was close behind, but for the same price why choose the one that came off second best?
Last edited by mjennings23 on Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Goodyear Eagle F1s

Post by mr wilks » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:07 pm

mjennings23 wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:48 pm

You do make a valid point regarding the test car, it would make a difference and isn't something we can really quantify because I can't see 2017 tyres being tested on a car that launched in 2003.

However, wet/dry braking and aquaplaning characteristics are going to be relevant, and rated in all decent tests i.e. autobild

I'l throw another slant on tyres too that many don't consider , & this is based on my own experiences trying out many different wheels + tyre + size combinations ( 17s , 18s ,19s on Z4s ) that happen to have come my way & i ran before selling on :wink:
The same name / spec tyres perform differently on different wheel sizes & on different Zs ( E89 , 2.5Se ,Z4M 3.Si E86 E85 ) though that shouldn't really surprise
& i have also noticed that with almost full tread nearly all high end & mid range perform well , but add some wear + age & things start to change :wink: the big names (imo) Vreds , Hankook , Michelin,s ,Goodyears ,Contis still perform as they should at any age & down to 3mm whereas the mid range (imo) Falken , Avon , Toyo , Kumhos etc as they increase in years & drop under 5mm really start to show why they are much cheaper , just my own thoughts of course , nothing scientific going on here :oops: :P
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti

mjennings23

Goodyear Eagle F1s

Post by mjennings23 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:13 pm

mr wilks wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:07 pm

I'l throw another slant on tyres too that many don't consider , & this is based on my own experiences trying out many different wheels + tyre + size combinations ( 17s , 18s ,19s on Z4s ) that happen to have come my way & i ran before selling on :wink:
The same name / spec tyres perform differently on different wheel sizes & on different Zs ( E89 , 2.5Se ,Z4M 3.Si E86 E85 ) though that shouldn't really surprise
& i have also noticed that with almost full tread nearly all high end & mid range perform well , but add some wear + age & things start to change :wink: the big names (imo) Vreds , Hankook , Michelin,s ,Goodyears ,Contis still perform as they should at any age & down to 3mm whereas the mid range (imo) Falken , Avon , Toyo , Kumhos etc as they increase in years & drop under 5mm really start to show why they are much cheaper , just my own thoughts of course , nothing scientific going on here :oops: :P
To be honest the Pirellis that came fitted on my current wheels are already showing some limits, although they're the old P-Zero they still have 5mm tread depth. Compare this to the Contisportcontact 5 that was on my previous wheels... well lets say I'm very close to getting them swapped over as they're sat in the garage currently!

Was going to refurb the wheels, but, 108s... *shudder*

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Goodyear Eagle F1s

Post by mr wilks » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:30 pm

mjennings23 wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:13 pm

To be honest the Pirellis that came fitted on my current wheels are already showing some limits, although they're the old P-Zero they still have 5mm tread depth. Compare this to the Contisportcontact 5 that was on my previous wheels... well lets say I'm very close to getting them swapped over as they're sat in the garage currently!

I didn't mention Pirellis above as they are a total lottery for me :cry: far too many different versions to nail down & i really don't like any of them in the wet for a rwd or fwd car over 250bhp (although a set i had on a V6 TT were faultless :driving: probably assisted by sheer vehicle weight & Quattro :P )
Of the big names they would be bottom of my list to consider :cry: Uniroyal Rs3s would outperform them all , any timeframe , any surface , any weather :wink:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti

mjennings23

Goodyear Eagle F1s

Post by mjennings23 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:41 pm

mr wilks wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:30 pm
mjennings23 wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:13 pm

I didn't mention Pirellis above as they are a total lottery for me :cry: far too many different versions to nail down & i really don't like any of them in the wet for a rwd or fwd car over 250bhp (although a set i had on a V6 TT were faultless :driving: probably assisted by sheer vehicle weight & Quattro :P )
Of the big names they would be bottom of my list to consider :cry: Uniroyal Rs3s would outperform them all , any timeframe , any surface , any weather :wink:
Not quite over 250bhp but I know that feeling, they've given me a couple of sideways moments!