Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Daytime Fog lights Poll

Discuss anything non Z4 related here

Side lights and fog lights on in the daytime . .

Looks cool
17%
A definite no no
83%

Total votes: 92

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Daytime Fog lights Poll

Post by buzyg » Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:03 am

Ducklakeview wrote:
Number5 wrote:My daughter (who passed her test yesterday) has just driven off up the road in a black car at 10:30 pm without putting her lights on - just as predicted ! :headbang:
- Thank God I fitted DRLs before we gave her the car. :wink:

I Managed to phone her and tell her, but those two minutes could have been disaterous.
Let me hazard a guess, that the car she is driving is one of those where the instrument lights are on as soon as the ign is? I reckon this is the reason I used to see so many people driving at night in town with zero lights on when I was on the cabs. I think the fact that the dash is all lit up means they don't realise they have no lights on! Not too long ago, the dashboards of cars were in darkness until you at at least the sidelights on, and maybe with the introduction of DRL's, it would have been a good idea to go back to this, therefore prompting people to switch their bloody lights on when they couldn't see the speedo!

Mike
Good point here. :thumbsup: In my Mazda the dash lights up with the side lights on. You can't tell the difference, inside the car, between side lights and dipped beam, unless you look at the position of the switch on the stalk. Not very clever. :?

GreyZed

Daytime Fog lights Poll

Post by GreyZed » Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:44 am

I have swapped my front fog light bulbs for DRL style LED units and always have them on in the daytime to give me the best chance of being seen in such a low grey coloured fast moving object! I'm certain it reduces the number of times people pull out in front of me.

I'm sure factory fit DRLs are getting so bright these days that they are way brighter than E85 halogen fogs anyway. As for being illegal the rules quoted earlier clearly refer to high intensity rear fogs due to their potential to impede brake light visibility and not front fogs. Remember that rear fogs or rather 'fog' became a legal requirement to be fitted whereas front fogs are still an option and when the rules were penned there were virtually no standard fit front fog lights in existence anyway.

I have never been dazzled by front fogs I don't think you can be due to the beam angle and pattern.
3.0 auto, sterling grey, hardtop, prfessional nav, dsp, digital tv, bluetooth, cruise, xenons, mfsw, cupholders, auto lights, auto wipers, folding mirrors, memory seats, wind deflector, pdc, 108s, LED sides/fogs, stubby, intravee, need a quad exhaust!

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Daytime Fog lights Poll

Post by ronk » Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:36 pm

Saab and Volvo had daylight lights in the late 70's early 80's. - then they went out of vogue - now they are back with a vengeance !

DRLs are not fog lights tho which is a no from me.
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Darren Slone
Lifer
Lifer

Daytime Fog lights Poll

Post by Darren Slone » Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:40 pm

Definitely a no no from me :thumbsdown:

Current Porsche Cayman S 987.1

Now sold - Imola Z4MC

Now sold - Silver Grey Z4MC
OEM CSL’s, Supersprint, Gruppe M, Eibachs, Carbon Roof, carbon rear spoiler,,

Now sold - My other Z
‘71 Datsun 240Z imported from West Coast USA

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Daytime Fog lights Poll

Post by john-e89 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:41 pm

No don't do it, you look like a self important dick, bloody annoying having one behind you as well. :thumbsdown:
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

PerryGunn
Lifer
Lifer

Daytime Fog lights Poll

Post by PerryGunn » Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:55 pm

ronk wrote:Saab and Volvo had daylight lights in the late 70's early 80's. - then they went out of vogue - now they are back with a vengeance !
Aren't all new cars now fitted with DRLs because it's an EU requirement rather than a styling fad?
Alpina Roadster S #320
* Quaife ATB LSD * StrongStrut Braces * Turner RTAB Limiters * Gap-Tech RCH+ *
* Intravee & KCA-420i * Mini 0806 * Cheetah C550 * Stubby *

ZermattV
Lifer
Lifer

Daytime Fog lights Poll

Post by ZermattV » Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:50 pm

Awaiting an Alpine A110
2016 M-Sport Fiesta ST

- Previously - 997 Targa - Z4M 2006 - Z4 3.0 Roadster - MX-5 1.8 Phoenix

Number5
Lifer
Lifer

Daytime Fog lights Poll

Post by Number5 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:55 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: F*ck me, so do you really think it is OK to unleash someone in a car onto the roads we have to use/share who apparently cannot tell day from night but can accept an incoming call on their 'phone while trying to "drive" at night with no lights?! I hope your daughter never travels far! (well not far enough to get anywhere near where I live)!
Thats why I fitted DRL's and a bluetooth kit to the car . As she disappeared I had the comfort of knowing the front was well illuminated and I could contact her without her having to touch her phone handset. Whilst frustrating to see her make such a basic error, I knew as a parent I had pre-empted the situation and provided the safety net.

Have you got children of your own Mr Tidy ?
I can tell you that when all their mates start passing their tests at 17 and they no longer want a lift from Mummy or Daddy, as Tom/Dick or Harry is picking them up in a beaten up Corsa, its a very worrying time.
However, at some point, you have to give them a little rope and let them go.
Last edited by Number5 on Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alpina Roadster #307
Porsche Boxster GTS
Previous Zs
Stratus E86
G29 30i
1x Imola Z4MR
Alpina #019
10x E85 Se/Si Roadsters
2x E89's
Roof Motor Relocations (Bristol)

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Daytime Fog lights Poll

Post by ronk » Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:03 pm

Indeed, when your curly haired little girl first drives off its worry worry worry til she arrives home !
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Geezah

Daytime Fog lights Poll

Post by Geezah » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:45 am

In almost a million miles of driving, I have never been blinded by someones front fog lights. However, I have been blinded on an almost daily basis by t**ts who have their headlights incorrectly set or by using illegal high powered bulbs or a combination of both. This is the real problem.

I see no practical difference between DRL's and front fog lights, the heights seem to be in the same bracket, the brightness seems to be in the same bracket too.

It's got nothing to do with being cool. It's about being seen. Since I started riding motorbikes at age 16, I have always driven with my headlights on, 24/7, accepting the kindly flashes from drivers telling me I have my headlights on. I go through a lot of headlight bulbs which can be fiddly to replace. Since the advent of LED bulbs, on the Zed, I now use the fog lights fitted with LED bulbs permanently as they last almost forever. Of course you have to have your sidelights on as well for the fog lights to come on, they're LEDs too.
2008 Z4 2.0i SE E85, Space Grey, 18" 241 staggered rims, 255/35/18, 225/40/18, 2 tone anthracite/silverstone leather Msport heated seats, M sport MFC Steering wheel, Bluetooth, Comfort pack, Tracker, Automatic climate control, Gaptech, Blah, blah.

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Daytime Fog lights Poll

Post by enzed4 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:39 am

Geezah wrote: Of course you have to have your sidelights on as well for the fog lights to come on, they're LEDs too.
I believe you can code the fogs as DRL's so you don't need the sidelights. I saw it as an option when I coded my DRL's (angel eyes).
During the day, fogs or DRL's are an effective way to be seen.
Gone: 2010 35i DCT
Gone: 2008 2.5Si Sport

Adam D

Daytime Fog lights Poll

Post by Adam D » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:35 am

Couple of chavs in an M badged 5 series diesel glued to my bumper last night after dark with no headlights on....just the Angel eyes and fog lights, "coz it looks wikkid innit"

:headbang: :thumbsdown:
Silver Grey 2007 Z4MR which needs to be driven more :evil: :P :cool: :D :thumbsup:

Geezah

Daytime Fog lights Poll

Post by Geezah » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:43 am

enzed4 wrote:
Geezah wrote: Of course you have to have your sidelights on as well for the fog lights to come on, they're LEDs too.
I believe you can code the fogs as DRL's so you don't need the sidelights. I saw it as an option when I coded my DRL's (angel eyes).
I like the idea of that Enzed, however I wouldnt have a clue where to start coding, how simple is it?
2008 Z4 2.0i SE E85, Space Grey, 18" 241 staggered rims, 255/35/18, 225/40/18, 2 tone anthracite/silverstone leather Msport heated seats, M sport MFC Steering wheel, Bluetooth, Comfort pack, Tracker, Automatic climate control, Gaptech, Blah, blah.

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Daytime Fog lights Poll

Post by enzed4 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:56 pm

Geezah wrote:
enzed4 wrote:
I like the idea of that Enzed, however I wouldnt have a clue where to start coding, how simple is it?
If you want to do it all for free, you need a laptop, and 'acquire' INPA, NCS/NCS Dummies then do a lot of reading and learning on the coding forums (there are some good guides to help on the forums)....
OR, I believe you can do it all through the Carly App (for Android or IOS) which I think is about £30ish, as long as you buy the right cable to plug into your OBD port in the car. Carly sell a cable they recommend, but I already had one that worked for INPA/NCS so I didn't need it.
Let me check my Carly app and I'll see if it has the full DRL coding. I'm pretty sure it does as I think I used it to turn off the DRL function when I removed my angel eye headlights and went back to OEM (I'm in the process of opening up the angel eye headlights to get the chrome bits painted black - looks much better on a black car, IMHO)
Gone: 2010 35i DCT
Gone: 2008 2.5Si Sport

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Daytime Fog lights Poll

Post by mmm-five » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:06 am

Don't have front fogs on the M, so no worries about me blinding/annoying anyone.

However, I was changing a sidelight bulb on the Alfa the other day and noticed that the foglights are set up in the main light unit at the same height as the dip/main beam.

The bottom lights I thought were foglights are indicators :headbang:
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options