Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Oops - "Top Gear" crew caught going 151 mph in Norway, might face jail time

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:25 am

Norway is home to some of the strictest speed enforcement in all of Europe and the country isn't backing down even when it comes to a big name like "Top Gear."

According to The Sun, the BBC's "Top Gear" is in the hot seat after speed detectors clocked vehicles associated with the show's crew blasting through the 3.5-mile long Atlantic Ocean Tunnel at speeds up 151 mph. The posted speed limit is 50 mph. One car was clocked between 105 and 122 mph, while the other managed the high score of 151 mph. The speeds were all registered by an automated system and local police were not present to verify who was driving or to reaffirm the excess speeds.

Authorities are investigating who was behind the wheel of the Ferrari GT4 Lusso and Porsche Panamera Sport when the speeds were clocked. However, it should be noted, "Top Gear" often uses stunt drivers to fill in for the hosts when filming supplementary footage. Hosts Matt LeBlanc and Chris Harris were in the country at the time of production, but the BBC stated neither were in the area at the time of the incident. Rory Reid was not mentioned in the broadcast network's statement.

Still, it doesn't change the fact excessive speeding in Norway carries a mandatory sentence between 18 and 175 days in jail. Additionally, it prompts not-so-small fines and a license suspension.

"Top Gear" was also granted a filming permit which shut the road down for 12 minutes and allowed the crew to travel up to 87 mph on the stretch of road where the alleged infractions took place. After word of the speeding came through, the show's permit was revoked.

The official "Top Gear" Twitter page featured a photo of LeBlanc and Harris last week and announced filming for series 25 of the show had begun. However, it sounds like it's been a rough start thus far.
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1111 ... -jail-time

Mike

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:30 am

I smell fake news. Probably to give the show some much needed hype.... :?
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:36 am

Chris_D wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:30 am I smell fake news. Probably to give the show some much needed hype.... :?
Ooh you pessimist Chris! - Mind you, it needs all the help it can get from what I've heard, not watched a single clip never mind episode myself.

Mike

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:42 am

Ducklakeview wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:36 am
Chris_D wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:30 am I smell fake news. Probably to give the show some much needed hype.... :?
Ooh you pessimist Chris! - Mind you, it needs all the help it can get from what I've heard, not watched a single clip never mind episode myself.

Mike
It's mostly a bit dreary imo. Harris provides a modicum of 'professionalism' but the other two are just devoid of any wit or charisma.
I always start watching and then get distracted, then intend to watch again later then invariably end up deleting on the PVR's hard drive to make space for 'Later...with Jools' or summink :lol:
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:06 pm

The show should have been binned when the BBC had a chance, I never watch it. I do like Chris Harris but much more when he does his solo youtube reviews and to me sits uncomfortably on Top Gear. Can't stand Mat Le Blanc who should stick to daytime soaps.

I still enjoy watching the real Top Gear on Dave which says it all.

Tim.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:58 pm

I enjoyed the last series. After a slightly shaky start Le blanc became the cement in well produced show IMHO. Harris great too. The others not so. Looking forward to the new series. :thumbsup: