Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
gov

Post by gov » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:00 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40723581

So by 2040 a ban on all petrol and diesel cars :cry: Petrolheads will become Electricheads :evil:

No doubt electric cars will have advanced to acceptable levels of performance and battery longevity - although they will need to make them more audible - biggest danger is you won't hear them coming - then again they will all be self driven :cry:

would have thought that a more sensible approach would be to continue to improve the efficiency of petrol / diesel egines to reduce pollution.

Then again I shouldn't be too concerned as by 2040 I will be 92 :rofl:

ekimj10

Post by ekimj10 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:13 am

I'm no lover of diesel engined cars but always a bit confused as to why other forms of diesel driven vehicles never seem to be part of the future ban. Surely HGV's consume a very high portion of the total and you could possibly add diesel-electric locomotives, diesel generators etc to the list.
Anyone ever see what proportion of overall sales is for cars?
2.2R Toledo Blue

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:20 am

I'll happily have an electric car...if tf matches my requirements. I don't mind synthesised engine/exhaust sounds, and there's nothing to say a conversion kit won't be available for older vehicles.

Plus, by 2040, if any of us have still got a Z, then it will be a classic and only driven on very special occasions. Petrol should be really cheap as there'll be very low demand :thumbsup:

Petrol/diesel have a VERY long way to go to get anywhere near the efficiency of electric car motors...something like 15-20% efficiency for petrol/diesel versus 80% for electric.

Of course, this is all ignoring the fact that the electricity has to be produced in the first place, and it's not like we've got so much excess renewable electrical generation capacity.

Then you've got the issue of the non-green recycling of batteries - or are the millions of worn out batteries a year going to all go to landfill?

Maybe the answer is a small tokamak in the engine bay?
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

Taz
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Taz » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:22 am

This is going to have a big effect on the Arabs

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:31 am

If cars are all going to be electric, where will the government get all the cash it gets from tax on fuel?
Surely they cannot raise electricity prices to compensate? This would be unfair for anybody who didn't own a car at all.
Will they just hit every driver with a massive road tax bill at the beginning of the year instead? In which case its then unfair for people who don't do a lot of miles compared to those who do tens of thousands.
Put it this way, there is no way that you will be allowed to drive about for just the cost of the electricity used to charge the car.
Maybe the future roads will have metal strips in the centre like a scalextric track with non stop electric power.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Dav the wheel nut
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Dav the wheel nut » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:41 am

So this appears to be a ban on the production of new petrol and diesel cars in which case it could take a few years to completely clear the roads of all those vehicles. On the bright side petrol prices would come down :lol:

Neil_87

Post by Neil_87 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:45 am

There will have to be some sort of special road tax bill to compensate for the loss of tax from fuel..

People aren't going to get rid of their classic and expensive exotic cars though just because they are banned? I wouldn't if I owned something really special...

I will never understand why electric cars are pushed so much, aren't hydrogen powered cars better?

Neil_87

Post by Neil_87 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:46 am

Dav the wheel nut wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:41 am So this appears to be a ban on the production of new petrol and diesel cars in which case it could take a few years to completely clear the roads of all those vehicles. On the bright side petrol prices would come down :lol:

Perhaps then we would be able to keep our petrol cars forever :D

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enzed4 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:54 am

Road User Charges (RUC) are used here for all diesel vehicles, you pre-pay for the amount of mileage you want (e.g. $xxx for 10,000km), so basically, user-pays. If you do high mileage, you pay more (as the logic is supposed to be that you're causing more damage to the roads and the environment, but since the owners of large commercial vehicles pay the same RUC but do far more damage, I'm not sure how that works, TBH).
I suppose that idea could be used for taxing electric vehicle use.
Gone: 2010 35i DCT
Gone: 2008 2.5Si Sport

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:02 am

enzed4 wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:54 am Road User Charges (RUC) are used here for all diesel vehicles, you pre-pay for the amount of mileage you want (e.g. $xxx for 10,000km), so basically, user-pays. If you do high mileage, you pay more (as the logic is supposed to be that you're causing more damage to the roads and the environment, but since the owners of large commercial vehicles pay the same RUC but do far more damage, I'm not sure how that works, TBH).
How do they check how many miles you do?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

obewan

Post by obewan » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:08 am

I'd always envisaged I'd have an electric car by 2040 - trouble is it would be one of those you drive on the pavement :D
E89 2.0 SDrive MSport
Honda CB500F.
Gone but not forgotten E85 2.0 MSport

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enzed4 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:14 am

Smartbear wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:02 am
enzed4 wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:54 am Road User Charges (RUC) are used here for all diesel vehicles, you pre-pay for the amount of mileage you want (e.g. $xxx for 10,000km), so basically, user-pays. If you do high mileage, you pay more (as the logic is supposed to be that you're causing more damage to the roads and the environment, but since the owners of large commercial vehicles pay the same RUC but do far more damage, I'm not sure how that works, TBH).
How do they check how many miles you do?
Rob
Annual MOT check - the card on the windscreen shows the 'start' mileage and 'finish' mileage depending on how many you buy (they're sold in 1000km increments). If you're over the distance you can be fined, and can't be issued with an 'MOT' until it's back in compliance.
Here's an example of a Diesel Audi showing the min/max distance (top label is the registration with the expiry date at the top)
Edit - I was wrong about trucks not paying more - they do, as they pay extra charges depending on the weight of the vehicle.
RUC.jpg
RUC.jpg (137.23 KiB) Viewed 1183 times
Gone: 2010 35i DCT
Gone: 2008 2.5Si Sport

Joycey

Post by Joycey » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:28 am

mmm-five wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:20 am Maybe the answer is a small tokamak in the engine bay?
Now there's an idea I've spent the last 4 years building one :evil:

Post by sticky » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:32 am

Producing electricity is a profit making business, add on vat and anything else they come up with in between then its a no brainer easy profit. Then add on the price of charging up along the way,,,all profit. plus battery costs + environmental taxes, more profit. Tyres +taxes, more profit, I don"t think the oil taxes will be missed, the 22 years in hand is a huge time frame to get creative on how to steal MORE money from Joe Public and every one else nearby. I think by then the only place you can buy the batteries is China, they have been buying up mineral areas in Africa FAST, as well as areas in other countries, I think the price of petrol will be cheap in comparison,,,,,,,,time to bubble wrap the zed... :(

OH, I forgot, road tax, insurance tax

patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

Post by patriot66 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:34 pm

What about the thousands of airliners in the air worldwide at any one time all burning thousands of litres of kerosene - based Avgas (JetA1 etc) ? We're all, including the politicians of this world; quite happy to sit on one regularly for hours on end or have your fruit & veg flown from Chile or Kenya or wherever ! Hypocrisy ? :x
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !