Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Scotland - recommend me an itinerary

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
jimmybell

Post by jimmybell » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:19 pm

Just did a week in Scotland in my new toy trying some of the NC500, happy to recommend stuff / places to stay if you have an idea where you're going to be.

I'd avoid the A9 for anything other than House of Bruar ('Harrods of the North', treat it like a fancy service station that serves lobster&chips and premium tourist products), from Edinburgh take old military road up in to the cairngorms as soon as you can (via Braemar/balmorral...wave at the queen), stop at a distillery, then continue on up to wherever north.

Avoid Loch Ness beyond stopping to say 'ive seen it'.

100% if you can try to go north west coast, the scenery changes again in volume+scale from southern highlands etc. One of my fav roads is Glasgow->Fort William -> Mallaig (then take the ferry to Skye, its more fun than the bridge, bridge on the way out).

On the way off Skye, stop at Eilean Donan, it's touristy but actually pretty decent to walk around for £7.50 or whatever it is.

Would also recommend Applecross (and associated mountain pass and resident fluffy mountain cows) if you can, also trying to make it up north towards Ullapool/Unapool is worth it.

If renting a car, make it a comfy one do more miles happily - you'll get to see much more :)

Some pics of mine on the 'gram, i'll add more in the next day or two: https://www.instagram.com/jimmybell/
V12 Vantage S - Hammerhead Silver, Manual, Lightweight Wheels, Exterior Carbon++, Carbon Buckets, AMR Performance Pack.
M135i LCI - ZF8, White, HK Audio, Adaptive
--
GONE Z4 M Coupe, Imola, CSLs
GONE C63 AMG, Black, Performance Pack+, LSD, HK

patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

Post by patriot66 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:21 pm

Marlon wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:25 am
RubyBlueZ4MC wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:24 am
Marlon wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:32 am We have a week booked on Skye a couple of weeks after, would be interested to hear your experiences when you return
Are you staying on Skye the entire trip? Is there much to do? I did think about this option.
We are breaking the journey with a night at the Ballachulish hotel (west coast near Glencoe) on the way and on the way back, which leaves 5 days on skye. Really looking forward to the driving - the journey from Glencoe to Skye is lovely (A82 - A87), we have done it once before but not in the Zed :driving:
Stayed at the Ballachulish (Balahoolish) Hotel about 15 years back. It was very good. Lovely old-fashioned afternoon tea in a huge Victorian drawing room looking out over the sea. Don't know what it's like these days.
I've had a few adventures on Skye over the years. Wonderful and amazing place ! Plenty to keep you entertained for a week. I would recommend visiting Elgol - go on a clear/sunny day and take your camera for amazing photos of The Cuillins across the sea. Take a look at Kilt Rock, Old Man of Storr, The Quiraing - incredible landscape seen in quite a few movies, Talisker Distillery - only one on Skye, Glen Brittle and The Fairy Pools - take your trunks and go for a swim. Camp at Glen Brittle campsite by the beach with The Black Cuillins towering behind. If you walk up the headland path from the site you can see a Viking canal that joins the sea to Loch na h-Airde. Walk or mountain bike the valley from Sligachan Hotel to Camasunary Beach, stay the night in the bothy by the beach and return the next day, etc etc .... :thumbsup:
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !

Bottom

Post by Bottom » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:28 pm

I stay near Ballachuilish, commute from Ft Wm to Kyle and Inverness once a week and Portree a few times a month. The roads are ridiculously busy with tourists this year, try to get out and on the road as early as you can if you want to actually enjoy your driving.
If you're staying at Ballachulish make sure you do the Kinlochleven circle, the Scotsburgring. There's a nice wee cafe (Crafts and Things) at Glen Coe you can park the missus in while you have a blast round the 'ring :driving:

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:35 pm

Thanks Patriot & Bottom.
I had the Kinlochleven circle in my sights :wink: Surprised that the roads are going to be so busy 1st week in October?
Thanks for the insights into Skye Patriot - obviously the Fairy Pools will be top of my list :D
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

Bottom

Post by Bottom » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:32 pm

It's possible that they'll quiet down a bit by October, but there's no sign of it happening yet. I'm afraid that the warmth of the welcome for tourists is starting to get a bit strained! Being stuck in a traffic jam every night for an hour to get the 12 miles home is a bit of a PITA.

There's another fantastic bit of road over from Spean Bridge you've got a choice to go south to Dalwhinnie, if you want to do a quick blast over to House of Bruar, which is worth a visit. Or you could take the north route through Kingussie and on up via Aviemore on to Grantown on Spey which is a nice wee market town. From Grantown there's a brilliant road up to Nairn, which can be lovely and quiet. Then a quick run over to Inverness from Nairn if you fancied.

RubyBlueZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Post by RubyBlueZ4MC » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:43 pm

jimmybell, patriot66, Bottom, Thanks guys, this is excellent stuff!
Gone: Interlagos Blue Z4 ///M Coupe
Remains: Red Skoda Yeti DSG Family Wagon! :o and the Hubby's Topaz Blue Z3 2.8 Facelift

Bottom

Post by Bottom » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:45 pm

Are you looking at staying in Glasgow or Edinburgh, with just some drives out or are you touring around?

AlfaScozzesi

Post by AlfaScozzesi » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:20 pm

Bottom wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:28 pm I stay near Ballachuilish,
Is yours a silver roadster on the corner before the iron bridge?

Always wondered whose car it was?

You are correct on all counts. The traffic has been murder this year. Another vote for Spean Bridge Newton more, Aviemore and on and if passing (and you will be at some point) the Kinlochring.

Bottom

Post by Bottom » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:50 pm

No, I've an interlagos blue MR, you'll see me dotting around. I know the silver car but not the owner, think he used to have a nice Z3 before.
I stay just at the edge of Onich at Cuilcheanna, down past the post box.

We should meet up for a wee drive in convoy sometime if you're up for it.

MefiEcosse

Post by MefiEcosse » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:40 pm

I'd recommend this route to anyone visiting the Fort William area!

http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/u ... index.html

Great mixture of decent roads and fantastic scenery, shouldn't be too busy on a week day!

I done this couple of months ago taking the Kinlochleven loop on the way home!

So many great roads in Scotland but the trip to Ardnamurchan and Sanna will equal anything Skye has to offer without the thousands of tourists getting in your way!
Alpina Roaster S Lux #310 - Titanium Silver
E85 2.5i Titanium Silver 2003 - Sold Feb 2018

jimmybell

Post by jimmybell » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:17 pm

a vote for ardnamurchan distillery, a long dead end road but worth it
V12 Vantage S - Hammerhead Silver, Manual, Lightweight Wheels, Exterior Carbon++, Carbon Buckets, AMR Performance Pack.
M135i LCI - ZF8, White, HK Audio, Adaptive
--
GONE Z4 M Coupe, Imola, CSLs
GONE C63 AMG, Black, Performance Pack+, LSD, HK

MefiEcosse

Post by MefiEcosse » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:12 pm

jimmybell wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:17 pm a vote for ardnamurchan distillery, a long dead end road but worth it
Dont forget the lighthouse, furthest West Point on the mainland! :thumbsup:

MefiEcosse

Post by MefiEcosse » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:17 pm

View from the top, there's a sd there somewhere! :)
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (300.45 KiB) Viewed 872 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (624.4 KiB) Viewed 872 times

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:24 pm

Marlon wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:25 amWe are breaking the journey with a night at the Ballachulish hotel (west coast near Glencoe) on the way and on the way back, which leaves 5 days on skye. Really looking forward to the driving - the journey from Glencoe to Skye is lovely (A82 - A87), we have done it once before but not in the Zed
I stayed there one night on our Scottish tour back in 2008. We booked an upgraded room because it was our wedding anniversary - great hotel!

Agree with what someone else said about getting the ferry to Skye - it just makes it feel a bit more of a special occasion!

Hope you have a great trip. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

AlfaScozzesi

Post by AlfaScozzesi » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:09 pm

Had lunch at Lochailort Hotel a couple of weeks ago Rich. Your diagram shows the ferry at Corran but when you get to the end of Loch Eil you can turn left and get to Strontien that way along the other side of Loch Linnhe which is a nice wee road.

@Bottom. It would be good to meet up for a run sometime. Roads are a bit quieter now at least. :thumbsup: