Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Any Hive Heating experts

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
srhutch

Any Hive Heating experts

Post by srhutch » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:57 am

ronk wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:39 pm I might be missing the point of these remote controlled systems - but what's wrong with setting a timer and thermostat ?
How would I benifit if I installed a system - Im genuinely interested but would like to think I would feel better or save.
Greater flexibility over normal controls.

Boost heating for one hour (don’t have to remember to turn it off again)
Settings not lost when there is a power cut
Multiple schedules per day
Link to other devices like smart bulbs. Porch light for example that comes on and off as per set schedule.

I bought mine for its function, not its looks though.

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Any Hive Heating experts

Post by TitanTim » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:34 am

Hi Ron, as said above, I only went for the Hive as my old timer was a Randall from the early 80s and a nightmare to set with the fiddly pegs and a 90s thermostat. I do find with Hive I'm using less heating purely as you can override your schedules away from home for example you won't be arriving home when you thought you would be etc so no need to have heating on unexpectedly.

It cost me £150 all in for supply and fit by British Gas as I have home care contract with them, I think it's normally 200 or so. Its normally 90 mins fit time but took the fitter 5 hours as my wiring was slightly confusing and not colour coded but he managed OK.

The Nest smoke and monoxide detector is good as it can actually detect different types of smoke particles so if you burn your toast it won't sound off. It will also send you alerts if away from home that the house is on fire :?

Tim.

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Any Hive Heating experts

Post by TitanTim » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:24 am

Silverzedtom wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:21 pm Heating engineer here :D

Make sure they change the complete valve and not just the head. whilst you can un-stick them by taking the head off and using a spanner to free up the valve it will only re occur. A lot of plumbers will just change the head as it avoids draining down.
Luckily when I had a new tank fitted the other year the plumber had the foresight to add some extra shut off valves to save draining the system down, useful for when I had the pump changed last year.

You can tell I have too much time this morning :)

Tim.

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Any Hive Heating experts

Post by TitanTim » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:48 am

Thanks to all the knowledgeable folks :thumbsup: all up and running now. The old diverter was only 2 years old so that didn't last long. The microswitch had failed.

Tim.

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Any Hive Heating experts

Post by markplant » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:49 am

At least it's all sorted now
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Any Hive Heating experts

Post by TitanTim » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:07 am

markplant wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:49 am At least it's all sorted now
Thanks Mark.

Tim.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Any Hive Heating experts

Post by ronk » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:04 pm

Other than controlling the odd light remotely I don't think i will be changing to an internet based system. I have a digi controller with three cycles and a weekly / weekend choice to control heating and hot water .
If we are away it's all off and if away thro the winter it's on 27 / 7 set to to minimum.

I like my tech toys but can't see what benefits I could get from the system - I think I would be switching on or off just because I could .
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

MJJamieson

Any Hive Heating experts

Post by MJJamieson » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:16 pm

The Nest thermostats are really good, you tell it when you want what temperature and learns how long your house takes to heat and knows the outside temperature so can calculate the heat up time, its got a feature where it uses your phone as a locator and switches the heating off when you leave, has sensors to calculate solar gain and has saved me a fortune in gas, can be linked to smoke alarms to turn off your boiler if there's a fire. OK there's the initial outlay but will pay for itself eventually.
2004 E85 Z4 2.5i SE Sterling Grey.

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Any Hive Heating experts

Post by TitanTim » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:43 pm

MJJamieson wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:16 pm The Nest thermostats are really good, you tell it when you want what temperature and learns how long your house takes to heat and knows the outside temperature so can calculate the heat up time, its got a feature where it uses your phone as a locator and switches the heating off when you leave, has sensors to calculate solar gain and has saved me a fortune in gas, can be linked to smoke alarms to turn off your boiler if there's a fire. OK there's the initial outlay but will pay for itself eventually.
I'm kinda wishing I'd gone with Nest now 2 years back, I only really went with Hive as I got the discount being a British Gas customer. I find the Hive stuff a bit lacking compared to others like Nest. I was looking forward to the Hive Cam but when released a real let down in what it offered, no cloud storage etc and expensive for what it doesn't do.

Tim.

TonyP

Any Hive Heating experts

Post by TonyP » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:25 pm

ronk wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:04 pm Other than controlling the odd light remotely I don't think i will be changing to an internet based system. I have a digi controller with three cycles and a weekly / weekend choice to control heating and hot water .
If we are away it's all off and if away thro the winter it's on 27 / 7 set to to minimum.

I like my tech toys but can't see what benefits I could get from the system - I think I would be switching on or off just because I could .
Geofencing, switches the heating off when you leave & back on as you enter.
Linked to the weather (based on internet temps), so if it 'detects' a cold snap it alters the heating (or the opposite for a hot period, this is the UK so not relevant of course :o )

Frost protection, if you are away it can bring the heating on to a low level, even if manually off.

Open window detection, if the stat detects a sudden drop in temp it assumes that a window has been opened & shuts the heating off.

Graphical chart, showing solar (sun) energy & when the heating has been called for.

Linked in with IFTTT so can send alerts when heating or off (if you need that sort of thing) & gives a bit more control than the native app.

Linked in with Amazon Echo, so can turn the heating up/down/off using that.

We shut our heating off last year whilst away, but I gave the heating a 3 hour (configurable) boost before we left the airport on our way home, I could see from the graph when we were waiting in the passport queue that the house was going to be roasty-toasty for when we got in. :thumbsup:

All of the above based upon the Tado central heating controller, an alternative choice to Hive/Nest etc.